Author Topic: radiation from japan killing off wildlife on west coast  (Read 1427 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
anyone seen this? what are your thoughts?
article--->http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/10/michael-snyder/fukushima-contamination-hits-the-west-coast/
mite want to cut back on the west coast sea foods!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
Re: radiation from japan killing off wildlife on west coast
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Yes, I had read something about this about a month ago. If you like seafood you may want to ask where it was harvested. Even Sushi.
This is all kind of disturbing that they originally stated it wasn't leaking and they had it contained.
I guess I shouldn't have expected anything else!!! :-\
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Scary stuff, you would be a fool to think that there would not be any kind of impact form a disaster like that.

Like most things they have found that harm us by the time they decide to do something about it its kinda late

ddt
pcb's
asbestos
lead
mercury
radio active contamination ...................to name a few................... .and we wonder why we get Cancer

Man I love tuna fish.................. ..................
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Very bad and sad

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Its been ongoing for quite sometime but the media refuses to report on it. Fuku has been downplayed and ignored but it is a Cherynoble on steroids!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Quite the tragedy that is going on over there. This is serious stuff. Glad I don't eat sushi. I see nothing but large scale problems occurring in the future. Could take years to see visible results. 100 years to clean up, yeah right, NOT IN OUR LIFETIME. The end is near just go fishing.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:08 PM »
I think it depends on what you want to believe. Certainly, the situation is not good, but how bad is it really? Here's another link that refutes many of the points just made: http://www.southernfriedscience.com/?p=15903

I'm not saying it's correct, or that anyone should believe this article over the first one....only that there is a lot of info out there, and not all of it can be correct, all the time.

Sensationalism rules the hour.....case in point: "300 tons of radioactive water pouring into the pacific ocean every day".

Certainly sounds bad, and I can't imagine that ANY level of radioactive water would be a good thing.....but, what sounds more terrifying: 300 TONS of water, or it's equivalent: 72,000 GALLONS?

Especially when you think about a 1 acre pond, that is only 2.66" deep..... I won't fish on ice that thin......and that's 72,000 gallons. Or how about the fact that it takes around 660,000 gallons just to fill an olympic sized swimming pool? If the author's facts are correct, then every 9+ days we get enough contaminated water to fill that pool.

40+ swimming pools in a YEAR......and how many gallons are in the Pacific ocean, that will be diluting this radioactive water?

Again, I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation at all.  But in my opinion, much of the info out there leans heavily on emotion and sensationalism, rather than facts.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Dec 15 China Bans the import of all shellfish from west coast of America...FACT
Starfish all along the coast are dissolving..FACT
Levels of Radiation in Cal. are up 20-30 times....Fact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLJTRE8MQSo
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Dec 15 China Bans the import of all shellfish from west coast of America...FACT
Starfish all along the coast are dissolving..FACT
Levels of Radiation in Cal. are up 20-30 times....Fact

And none of these three have been proven to have any connection to Japan's reactor trouble.  Internet speculation certainly, but not fact.

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:39 PM »
You guys are having serious cabin fever..... There's more harmful natural levels of Mercury in the lakes and in the fish you are eating and your worried about Japan.... Japan has had radiation issues for years starting with the A Bomb.....

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:41 PM »
I didn't read anything about Fukushima being the cause of the ban? Arsenic was the reason, and I think it's possible that domestic pollutants could've played a role here. Again, I have no proof, just speculation.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:43 PM »

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Explain this.
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/05/absolutely-every-one-of-the-15-bluefin-tuna-tested-in-california-waters-contaminated-with-fukushima-radiation.html

Now you've found one....this one is very likely linked to the Fukushima event. But, when you read the fine print you find that the level of cesium was only 3% higher than normal background radiation....which, depending on what you choose to believe, is harmless.

8. One test in California found that 15 out of 15 bluefin tuna were contaminated with radiation from Fukushima.

Yet another link Snyder cited without actually reading. It references a CNN article that states: “Tissue samples taken from 15 bluefin caught in August, five months after the meltdowns at Fukushima Daiichi, all contained reactor byproducts cesium-134 and cesium-137 at levels that produced radiation about 3% higher than natural background sources.” (Emphasis mine)

A 3% increase in radiation is negligible. It’s around the same amount of additional exposure you get flying in a plane, or sleeping next to someone. If that worries you, then it’s time for separate bedrooms.

Source here:  http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/10/28/more-fukushima-scaremongering-debunked/

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:34 PM »
I think the important thing to note is that you can get facts to say anything you want. You just have to pick and choose what to read and what to ignore or dismiss. Always take everything -- especially anything on the internet -- with a large dose of skepticism... including where I claim I caught my fish  ::)

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Once the (keystone species) is gone the domino effect will happen

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:13 AM »
I think the important thing to note is that you can get facts to say anything you want. You just have to pick and choose what to read and what to ignore or dismiss. Always take everything -- especially anything on the internet -- with a large dose of skepticism... including where I claim I caught my fish  ::)

My point exactly, with the caveat that you not ignore or dismiss anything. Blind faith in one "side" or the other is highly problematic. Always do your own thinking, and your own research on both sides of the issue, not just the side you want to believe, personally.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:11 AM »
well, this one, i will error on the side of caution. but, we mite not be unable to avoid what it brings anyhow.

OANN the real story

Offline chevy88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:14 AM »
the japs are at it again!! lol  :tipup:
Liberal Paradise:
-Everyone Treated Equal
-Free Food
-Free medical / healthcare
-Only police and guards have guns

Offline bammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:24 AM »
As much trash that wash's up on the west coast from Japan radiation from Japan could definataly be a possibility. Just saying.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:46 AM »
yeah, that "trash float" is said to be the size of california!

hear is an even scarier thought. if california get contaminated, all those pinheads will be moving this way! lol

OANN the real story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.