Author Topic: 2/13-2/14 Bigelow? Mash?  (Read 748 times)

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
2/13-2/14 Bigelow? Mash?
« on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:34 AM »
I have two days off work so I plan on doing some serious icefishing. Was thinking I'd go to Bigelow after I wolf down some lunch.

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
Re: 2/13-2/14 Bigelow? Mash?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Bring ya shanty  man is windy :-\
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2017, 03:10 PM »
How is bigelow ice holding up?

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:46 PM »
Ugh, that was a nasty, terrible trip. I didn't get cold (except for my hands) my new Frabilll suit kept me quite warm, and the wind didn't bother me (besides blowing snow in my holes) but if this wasn't a family friendly board I'd be teaching people new four-letter words to describe the trip. I hope that's the worst fishing trip this year- everybody has to get at least one ice fishing trip where they wonder why they don't go south to fish for marlin.

The ice on Bigelow itself is still holding up, but there's a lot of nasty slush on top. I'm hoping the slush will freeze solid but not sure if it will get cold enough. The slush seems worse around the edges, but it still very much present in the middle- I didn't stray too far from the boat launch.

When I got there I literally could smell skunk, some skunk must have sprayed nearby. I should have taken the hint and went somewhere else. I only got one flag (which got away) and a few nibbles on my jigging rod.
There's a lot of snow on the ice so I wore my new snow shoes, maybe I would have done better to wear my old ones- these new ones are longer and more awkward. I have ski poles but because my hands were full with other gear I couldn't use them... Every time I had to kneels to set up, check or pack my tipups it was a struggle to get back up, I was feeling a bit old. I also managed to do a few face plants- the worst was when I was holding my minnow bucket- spilled most of the water and half of the minnows. Shiners must think all I wanna do is kill them because I'm killing bait left and right this year, I even bought some of those tablets to help keep them alive :( You might still be able to see a neon blue spot in the snow and the imprint of my face. The blue is either from how the tablet turned the water blue, or my cussing freezing on the snow.

I'm going to be sore tomorrow, already feeling sore.

But because I had so much fun I'm hoping to go icefishing again tomorrow.  ;D I'm not sure if I'll go to Bigelow or Mashapaug, was thinking I'd try Camp Nahaco (Crystal Pond Woodstock/Eastford). I'm not sure how the ice is there though.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:20 PM »
Sounds like a great trip ,fishing in any form better than working even if you fall in the snow. We all do it , I can remember a few momentous fall myself. That said , I think I'll do Mash. wed. nite. If you go tomorrow Velcro have fun. ;)

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:40 PM »
Too bad I have to work Wednesday and won't get out until it's dark, hard to get set up in the dark.  :-\

I was getting really tired towards the end though, fell getting over the banking and wasn't sure I could get back up. Then realized that some stuff had fallen out of my sled, could have cried having to go back for it.  :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.