Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89461 times)

Offline DirkDitchPickle

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #390 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Good 5" to 6" to the east side of Williams boat ramp as of Friday.
Good solid, smooth black ice. Should be quite a bit thicker by the end of next week with all the cold coming. Fish weren't biting where I was sitting, but i was also having some heater stress which distracted me from my primary mission. Probably 40+ people on the ice Friday.
If your hobbies don't make your wife mad......you're not living life to the fullest!

Offline Big.ice.hole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #391 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Who plans on fishing big creek Saturday...

Offline CKennedy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #392 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:06 PM »
I am heading out tonight after work. Hoping to be set up around 5:30. I will be out there Sunday morning for sure and maybe Sunday afternoon. Hope to catch 'em.
CK

Offline slick ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #393 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Is the ice good enough for snowmobiles and four wheelers yet?
   MORE HOOKERS LESS LOOKERS

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #394 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:55 PM »
According to the DNR's latest fishing report; "ice mostly 8", but thinner spots exist mid-lake between the west ramp and marina where ice formed last."

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #395 on: Jan 10, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Gonna head out to big creek this afternoon, hope the bite is on today! ;D

Striker Ice Lite

Offline little slick ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #396 on: Jan 11, 2015, 01:17 PM »
Slow day marked a few fish no takers. A lot of people moving around.

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #397 on: Jan 11, 2015, 03:27 PM »
Dead Sea.  Found the spots I wanted, moved a lot, can't say that I marked anything.  Went to Lost Lake, initially marked a few fish but they were very negative and ended the day fishless.  Not often that happens. 

Snow on the ice at Big Creek is really concerning- it is putting tremendous stress on the ice.  Several areas where you drill a hole and the water comes gushing out.  Pretty soon your fishing in 4" of slush.  We need a thaw, melt that crap off the top and refreeze or it is going to be difficult to make ice that will last the season.

Offline slick ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #398 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Anyone been out this week. Has the bit picked up. Think about going tomorrow night . :icefish:

Offline slick ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #399 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Fished from 5:30-8:00 slow night caught two walleyes. The biggest one was 14" that came on a tip up. I know there's keeper's some where in this lake ....LOL

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #400 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:57 AM »
Slick Ice:
try targeting walleyes in the area south of the beach...find the old creek channel that is in that area. be in about 32-36ft of water...work the edges of the old channel (you'll have to go a few hundred yards south of beach to find it..look on a lake map of big creek and you'll see where it winds through between there and the area where Williams Drive is at...fish the flats close to the channel. there are some old cinder block and red field tile piles out in that area farmers put there before lake was flooded.. there are some old original tree stumps out in that area too on the flats next to the channel in about 26-30 ft..we used to catch, walleyes, catfish, perch, and big crappies out there. You had to move and fish on the run, but worth it. Only bad thing was fishing that deep, fish swim bladders would come up, so we tried reeling them up slow--unless we knew we had a fish we might keep.

I fished that area about 3 years ago over Xmas break when I was back home, and caught 2 nice walleyes (16-18" fish) and one nice bass in that area I just described. Jigging spoons tipped with either spikes or minnow head should work. good luck

Offline slick ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #401 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:18 PM »
That spot is good. Last year I did good on the eyes .thanks  for the tips.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #402 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:19 PM »
slick Ice:
if you want to try a "different" spot on Big Creek that is a bit of a gamble, go up to the north end of the lake (in the Big creek arm)..go past Ranger's cove area, and fish the area where the old gravel pits were. Here is best description of where this area is--without me pointing to it on a map!...go up the area known as Ranger's Cove (on east side..north of the marina..follow the east shoreline north of the cove until you come to the first major point on that same east side. out in front of that area,--and to the north of that-- are the old original gravel pits. It won't be deep---5-7ft but there still a lot of the old ridges and troughs of the pit--and also rock piles and old stumps. I believe not many people venture up there to fish anymore as it's either a long walk--or not worth going. It might be a bust, or you might get into some really big gills and crappies up there. there are some old springs still active in that area, which drew fish. There is also an area up there that is a clay/marl bottom that is perfect habitat for bloodworms and such. It was a probably what drew baitfish--which drew other fish. You'll either have to park way up at the north end and walk in--or best best would be to use ATV and come out of the area near the marina boat ramp.
All I know is that many years ago--this was the place to fish on this lake..especially early, but then we'd fish it all winter and late ice was good in that area again!
Again, it's a crapshoot. I know things change--and lake dynamics, bottom, cover, etc---but if you don't mind stepping out of the box and trying different places, you'll never know. You'll know within an hour if it's worth fishing. I'd drill a bunch of holes up there all over that area--then hole jump and see what you find

Offline slick ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #403 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Anyone been out this week? Just want to know how the ice is holding up.

Offline Big.ice.hole

• IceShanty Rookie
Big creek tonight
« Reply #404 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Dad and I are going to be on the lake around 3:30 I'll let you know how it goes tonight wish us luck!!!

Offline snokyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big creek tonight
« Reply #405 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:08 PM »
good luck man. lake has NOT been good to me lately (like last year too).

Offline slick ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big creek tonight
« Reply #406 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Let us know how the ice is doing.

Offline slick ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #407 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Has any been on the lake this week. Just want to know if the ice is still good.

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #408 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:25 PM »
I was out yesterday and there was a soft 8-9'' on the main lake. There were about a half dozen of us out there.

Offline snokyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #409 on: Feb 01, 2015, 08:54 AM »
anyone get on the lake before the snow storm? was debating with a buddy that is snowed in dsm with me of going out. we were thinking of hunkering in on deeper brush south end of lake. walking in either from southern most bay on the east and walking over to the west side or walking down one of those hills on the west. snows adding a lot of weight, and we would obviously test drill, but figured I'd see if anyone had data before we even tried.
thanks!

Offline snokyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #410 on: Feb 02, 2015, 09:10 AM »
just so ya'll know the fishing was HOT yesterday.
took us 2 hrs of busting drifts around the lake to find somewhere to access though. lots of slush/water around edges with snow on top. we managed to finally get out on east side, went to a brush pile, dug in, and cranked out a limit of bluegills in 2.5 hrs. man was it beautiful out and we were the ONLY people on the lake. lots of work coming back off though as we drifted into some 3' drifts on the lake.

lot of work to fish in a blizzard, but man were they hungry!

give it a few days before you take your snowmobiles out there guys. there were people playing and getting stuck at the slush edges all over.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #411 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Anybody been out to big creek lately?

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #412 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:11 PM »
Was out there yesterday from 5:00pm-6:45. Marked quite a few but only managed to catch 1 13'' walleye. Ice was at least 8'' and the shorelines were slushy but not terrible.

Offline tmarr04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #413 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Anybody been out over the weekend? Was thinking about trying the evening bite today, but want to be sure it's safe. If not, I'll update conditions there

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #414 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I was out from 7:00-12 Saturday morning, didn't have a lot of luck but the ice was good then. 8-10" of good clear ice, with varying amounts of slush/ snow the but I assume it has melted by now.

Offline tmarr04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #415 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:55 PM »
May i ask where you walked out, shorelines?

Offline trekr200

• IceShanty Rookie
Question for Iowan Ice Anglers
« Reply #416 on: Dec 11, 2016, 02:12 PM »
We are planning a ice fishing trip to Big Creek Lake.  Can anyone give us information on the lake (i.e., ramp location, types of fish, etc.)?

Thank you,
Mike
Everybody has got to believe in something...I believe I'll go fishing.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp207/Squareneck/IMG_20161001_233426_zpsxa0qihbb.jpg

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #417 on: Dec 11, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Anyone heard any info or know of anything from Big Creek. I just moved to the Des Moines area this summer and was wondering if this would be a decent place to wet some lines.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Question for Iowan Ice Anglers
« Reply #418 on: Dec 11, 2016, 03:27 PM »
Here is a link that will take you to the Iowa DNR website for Big Creek Lake.   http://www.iowadnr.gov/idnr/Fishing/Where-to-Fish/Lakes-Ponds-Reservoirs/LakeDetails/lakeCode/BIC77

I don't know when you are planning your trip, but we should have safe ice by weeks end. You may also want to post any other questions on the Iowa section of Ice Shanty.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Question for Iowan Ice Anglers
« Reply #419 on: Dec 11, 2016, 03:31 PM »
Plenty of boat ramps around the lake and parking, we have not fished the lake much and it is only a short drive for us. Just curious what brings you guys to Iowa to try this lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.