The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: "Rippin'" it up! *important update*  (Read 1348 times)

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
"Rippin'" it up! *important update*
« on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:01 AM »
On some local ice thanks to some good people. Ready to rock out the day. 1 decent slime dart so far... ::big bait::

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: "Rippin'" it up!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:39 AM »
" If you fish it, they will come " who will come? The biggies, The biggies. Lol hope ya get a Biggin, watch that hill it's a doozy!

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Slid down the whole hill yesterday with my auger managed to stay on my feet all the way down.  On the ice was a different story fell a bunch of times    lots of hidden slopes out there

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:21 AM »
that hill is a heartbreaker. you might find some reminants of last Tuesday's garage sale.

fyi   a garage sale is when everything falls out of your sled and tumbles down the hill including yourself.  ;D

Offline CRS02019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:28 AM »
that hill is a heartbreaker. you might find some reminants of last Tuesday's garage sale.

fyi   a garage sale is when everything falls out of your sled and tumbles down the hill including yourself.  ;D

I have a hard enough time making that hill in the summer with a tackle box and fishing pole. I can't imagine getting myself and all my ice fishing gear down there in one piece. That's brutal. If it isn't safe enough to get on from the restaurant, it's a no-go for me:-)

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:37 AM »

I witnessed poor big bri have a complete going out of business sale last year.
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:23 AM »
Ya hill sucks...lots of flags 6 fish 3bass one over 3..and 3 picks at one about 3lbs

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2013, 12:49 PM »
sounds like you did ok. nice work. good luck with yard sale hill.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:18 PM »
You guys made me laugh, thanks :-) that hill is a killer! Remember, about 50' or so to the right of that hill (looking @ the pond ) is a bit wider less steep access point. Just past the cement picnic tables. Just be cautious because that edge isn't as solid as the killer hill. The killer hill has a raised dirt mound at the bottom and freezes great there.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Damn that hill! No pigs today lots of flags and about 12 fish. GREAT time!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:01 PM »
One other very important thing a need to mention if you look at this next picture u will notice a big bowed out stick stuck in the ice. My buddy stepped over theer and either hit a hole or a soft spot. He went in over his boot but caught himself. If It was a hole someone chipped it was large and unmarked. I think it was a soft spot  because of how it broke..I was going thru in 2 wacks around it. So if you go remember that stick and stay clear. Ice was REAL solid  when we got there then around 1:00 you could start to see the water ripple as you walked up to your hole

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:02 PM »

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "Rippin'" it up! *important update*
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Poot,you seriously just made me LMBO, I remember that well. Shiners all over the ice , my sled in one direction ,all my tilts and poles in another and forget my mealies, they were bird food.  I was just grasping for the fence for dear life , funny thing is I took out that root that had been sticking up in the middle on the way by .
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:10 PM »
still don't know what the hell the "rip" is, but I recognize the background from a lot of millbilly's posts....

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Matt that looks like the area of last Saturdays holes. They were marked at one time. Those holes got big in the first snow storm. I think the ice was bobbing up and down making the 8"-9" holes more like 10"-11" holes and weakening the edges of the homes too. That is the thickest ice on that side. Perfect example for why I mark the holes with branches. I'm gonna assume someone didn't put them back in the holes. That kind of sucks too! Hopefully the warm air and rain will expose them all!

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:56 PM »
Is it standard practice to mark holes? I've never thought about doing it but I'm worried about wearing out my welcome on a pond popular with non fishin folks… like if one of 'em were to break an ankle in an old hole… that would be frowned upon.
 I think I'm gonna make a point of sticking a branch in 'em before I leave… good idea.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:42 PM »
Matt that looks like the area of last Saturdays holes. They were marked at one time. Those holes got big in the first snow storm. I think the ice was bobbing up and down making the 8"-9" holes more like 10"-11" holes and weakening the edges of the homes too. That is the thickest ice on that side. Perfect example for why I mark the holes with branches. I'm gonna assume someone didn't put them back in the holes. That kind of sucks too! Hopefully the warm air and rain will expose them all!
this hole was 15 inches across clear through, then about a 3 foot circumference around it was soft ice that two wacks (one with your chisel keith) goes through. we found it because it was only 5' behind our shanty and it got windy and I was putting ice anchors to run a line to keep a wall from blowing in and I literally was screwing the anchor in a foot from the hole and my buddy walked over to see if I needed help and "plop"

Offline Fat Tony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Is it standard practice to mark holes? I've never thought about doing it but I'm worried about wearing out my welcome on a pond popular with non fishin folks… like if one of 'em were to break an ankle in an old hole… that would be frowned upon.
 I think I'm gonna make a point of sticking a branch in 'em before I leave… good idea.

Up in north hero Bruce marks the soar spots with used up Christmas trees. Can't miss them!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:24 PM »
Glad no one went fully in! Saw 2 guys over by the restaurant today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.