Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Wobsty

• IceShanty Rookie
Clear Lake
« on: Jan 17, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Hi guys!

I have a day trip up to Clear lake this monday for MLK day.  We just found out that they are giving us the day off from school.  I have never fished Clear before, but have always wanted to.  I hope to get an early start and head up around 7, and probably stay the day.  Any ideas or reports as to where and what would be great.  Also how about access?  I assume they are driving on it, but not sure where to get on.  I am not too concerned about quality fish more looking for some steady action maybe some yellows with some walleye mixed in.  I will also bring the tip ups and see if I can raise a flag or two?

Thanks.  Good luck this weekend.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Well.  Here's the scoop. Was there last weekend with a buddy of mine. Farmer's Bay was the place to go. Caught yellows. Southwest bay before the entrance to the little lake (MacIntosh). The fish pretty much hit at sunlight & sundown.  I'm talking 6:00 to 7:3-8:00 am. & 4:15 - 6:30 pm. In between nothing happening.  Might as well leave the ice if not during that time. Not even a bite. This is the way the lake is.  So, plan on being on the lake & setup by 6:00 am with your line in the water or you will be dissapointed until sundown. Also, the only bait shop in town (Crazy Minnow) does not even open until 7:30 am & did not open until 8:00 am when we were waiting for bait. This is well after the bite & delayed us getting on the ice in time. We were there well in advance.  I understand there is a conveniece store that sells minnows on the east side so I recommend getting them there once get into town.  Don't wait for the Crazy Minnow unless you get them the night before somewhere else. The only access we found the day we went was fortunately on the south side right in front of Farmer's Bay.  All the others were blocked with snow that was plowed in front. This in on a dead end road that is not marked very well. The ice is great for anything that can drive on it & handle the snow drifts. This was the only access that we found open & we circled the entire lake & checked all of them. Hope this helps.  Good luck!!!!

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2009, 10:59 PM »
I was at clear Lake myself last weekend, you'll be yellow fishing while you're there, I also agree with Melrose, get your minnows night before, I think I was one of the fellas waiting till 8 for minnows.  This is definately a sunrise/sunset bite lake with absolutely NOTHING inbetween, the walleyes have yet to pick up, I had a tip up out all day with a sucker minnow and did not raise a flag.  The yellow fishing was good at dusk, I still enjoyed myself, but if you're looking for steady action Clear Lake ain't it bud.  There is access at Bayside and at Farmer's beach. 

Hey Melrose were you the one pulling the enclosed trailer?  How'd the trip treat ya?
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:28 AM »
Yep!  I thought that was you when I saw the Eskimo in your name. I was pulling the enclosed trailer.  Trip was fine once we got on the lake. Was getting worried though, all the accesses seemed to be plowed in front.  Again, we circled the lake checking all. This was frustrating because by the time we went back to the bait shop & asked it was already 9:30 pushing 10:00.  They even led us to the accesses that were blocked.  When we told them about this they did finally recommend the Farmer's which worked. Sucks when ya get up at 3:00 am to get up there & be set-up by 6:00, only to finally get set up at 10:00 & miss the bite. We waited out the day & managed to sack 30 or so on the night bite.  Stayed the night, in town, & hit the morning bite for another 12-15 or so. I thought you stated you were going to one of the reefs on E side, did the accesses change your plans?  Did you write in the Clear Lake thread that you got 17 yellows, 2 crappie, 1 walleye & a perch (Jan. 10 weekend)?  Nice talking to ya waiting for the bait shop to open.  Nice to pass the time with some good ice chat. Can't wait until the eyes start to bite consistent.  Will be up there again.  All in all good trip after all said & done.

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Yeah I checked some of the reefs on the east side (Billy's, Fisherman's) with the aqua view but it just didn't "feel" right.  I couldn't resist farmer's as this is where the reports had been good.  I did catch all the fish I listed on farmers.  Say your van when I left to head home.  I second the thought about the ice chat.  Glad someone else was there to shoot the breeze with.  Bayside and farmers were the only 2 access points I found that were open.  I hope the walleyes pick up this winter but I fear the Crappie Buster is correct, that lake got HAMMERED last year.  5 times as many shanties there last year.  All in all it was a good day.  The crappies and perch are just by luck, there aren't that many in the lake compared to yellows/walleyes.  Shoot me a PM the next time you decide to take the trip up, maybe we could set up near each other and share some more "war stories"
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:52 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the reports.  My question is when you say the other ramps were blocked with snow, could I get my ATV over them or are we talking huge piles? 

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Bus -

Unfortunately no.  That was what I was hauling in my enclosed trailer.  I hadn't fished Clear Lake since a kid & the only hitch I had on the one vehicle is a 2 wheel drive.  I should have taken up the wife's CRV which kicks into 4 wheel drive when needed but she wasn't keen on it when I mentioned it. The CRV also has good ground clearance.   She's not used to the driving on the lake thing. Since I hadn't been there in a while chose to haul up the ATV. Anyway, there wasn't any way the ATV was going to get over the drifts pulling equipment on that day.  Maybe we just hit it at the wrong time & maybe some locals ended up plowing some of the other.  If your planning on going up, just write a post & ask how they are.

Thanks to the locals who do the plowing.  It's a great service & is really appreciated!!

Wobsty -

Did you end up going up & if you did, how did you do?

Offline Wobsty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Hey Thanks for asking!!

Yep we mad it up.  Got to farmers about 1:30 and stayed until 5:00.  I know that was a lettle early to leave but we had a long drive back, and an early moring the next day.  The results were dismal at best.  Zero fish caught, and saw only two on the camera.  Although one was a big, and I mean big walleye.  I hope to make another trip up, maybe when the reports are a bit better, and maybe on a weekend when I have more time.  Thanks for all your suggestions! 

W

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:07 AM »
I'm in same boat.  Yes, I live 1.5-2 hrs away & find it difficult to hit the morning & nite bite secondary to this. If want to be there in the morning have to get up at 3:00 am to make it worthwhile & too far to drive if just planning to hit the night bite unless stay over as we did for the morning. It's a dilema & not condusive to fishing the lake well. It would be great if was a local then could just go out in the morning then after the bite, go home to get something done, then go out & hit the evening again. It's hard to justify spending 4-5 hrs on the road & the $$'s to get up there for only a 1 1/2 hr bite.

Eskimo-  If still around, just curious, what size did your perch run you?  They are scarce to get in CL, so just wondering what it ran for size?

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Yes Melrose they are SCARCE I caught a few last year as well.  Maybe 12 in 8 trips.  The one I caught last time was 10.5 inches, as I have found usually when you do catch one, it is a keeper.  Crappies seem to be this way too.  I agree the drive is difficult to justify, but when the bite is truly on, it's worth it to me and I come up from CR.  Usually I will stay the night if the bite is good. 

Tight lines.
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.