The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip ups  (Read 1639 times)

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip ups
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Hey guys i am looking to replace some of my tipups soon because mine are getting old. I have mostly the frabil dawg gone ones. they are great for shallow pike but i am looking for a tip up that i can fish deeper with. someone with a big spool. My goal is something i can fish pike and lakers on and the occasional walleye. Thanks and tight lines to all and be safe on the ice.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I use heritage lakers. They have a big easy to adjust reels. Plus their flaws when they go off are easy to see from far away.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Milfoil_Hunter_VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:30 AM »
Heritage Tip Ups are the way to go. I only have two of them but they are always the first two tip ups i set out. It's almost impossible to get wind flags and they are very well made and have huge spools. The flags are also easy to spot from a long way away. They aren't cheap but well worth the money!  :tipup:

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Depends how much money you want to spend. If you don't mind spending a couple bucks jacktraps are the way to go. Quality traps. No wind flags ever! I have had mine for 3-4 years now with no issues what so ever. They are made up in Maine. I tried them off a friends recommendation and I am sold and won't go back hahahahaha

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:03 AM »

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Another vote here for Heritage Laker tip ups. You get what you pay for  ;D

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Frabill Big Foots and HT Polar and Polar thunder all have 500' spools that for #30 tip up line probably close to 900' at #15, I would rather run a beaver dam with #15 probably gets you in the 400' range. I don't think i have ever pulled #15 on my tip up line. I can't see my self using a vertical spool so if i thought i needed over 400' i would probably go to a super-line line power pro or fire-line to lower diameter verses increase spool size. This being said i have never used a vertical spool i don't really understand how they can be as smooth when a fish is pulling line 90 degrees to the direction of the spool. A well lubricated Beaver Dam will spin with only the weight of a swivel or a very small split shot (BB size).

Offline fishhardwater2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:54 AM »
I have tested them all over time...The best I have found are MAX TRAPS In Dixfield Maine..Heritage do not last and have had issues over the years...like flags popping off ...hardware issues...reels seperation...The Max Trap is super built and folds up easily...quality hardware...BIG REELS...time tested for 15 years with no issue.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Almost all of mine are plastic HT and Polars, but if I was spending the money, I'd buy all Heritage.  We only have 1 and the kids are convinced thats the magic tipup. 

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:10 PM »
40-ups are cheap and work well.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Heritage are good, get the painted or finish them yourself.
Last a lot longer.
Towards the middle of February start checking kittery trading posts website.
They have really good deals end of each season. That's how I've bought most of mine.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:54 PM »
If i wasn't a poor fisherman i would love a run of jacks!

http://jacktraps.com
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:58 PM »
I had a couple bucks a few years ago and bought a set of 5 jack traps. Figured if I was getting into ice fishing I would buy one good set and now I'm at the point I want another set but don't have the jungle this time of year.....maybe next year. Very smooth traps. My friend let me use his first and I could see why they cost so much. If you got the money they are worth it but like I said I don't now that I have kids lol

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:01 PM »
If i wasn't a poor fisherman i would love a run of jacks!

While these jack traps are nice looking and appear to be of good quality I am scratching my head asking myself how they keep from falling over when set in the hole? Heritage tip ups have a stable + pattern footprint. The jacks have more of an = pattern footprint, seems they would want to fall over easily.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:05 PM »
I have 2 Max traps and they are good. My wife got me a jack trap this year for Christmas, field testing this year, the Max traps and jack traps are similar in style. Max traps have an adjustable drag and a larger spool. I have rebuilt some of my 40 ups.

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I only have the 3" spool on my jack traps and I did buy the bait clips for bigger bait but haven't really needed them. I've never tried the max traps. Price wise how do they compare?

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:15 PM »
I bought mine 5-6 years ago at the Yankee Sportsman Classic . I think they were $27 apiece. He has several models. No idea what the price is now. I think he has a website.

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:24 PM »
Never had an issue with my jack trap falling over. They offer a few different styles as far as how the set up in the hole. I had the style that looks like they would fall over and they just don't. I fish in lots of different weather and never had an issue. I used some of my friends cheap traps and they kept falling over.....so very frustrating

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Never had an issue with my jack trap falling over. They offer a few different styles as far as how the set up in the hole. I had the style that looks like they would fall over and they just don't. I fish in lots of different weather and never had an issue. I used some of my friends cheap traps and they kept falling over.....so very frustrating

Well I suppose that the thing will only lean so far then the spool will hit the side of the (honey) hole and that will be that - won't fall over any further  :afro:

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Heritage tip ups all the way. They are sturdy easy to use and I have fished in 40 plus mph winds and have never had a wind flag.

Offline Stick fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:11 PM »
I use heritage tip ups no problems and I got three dozen. Walmart in wiliston has them on sale for like 25 bucks, your not going to get them much cheaper than that

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Lol the traps don't hit the side of the hole or anything like that

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Heritage are good, get the painted or finish them yourself.
Last a lot longer.
Towards the middle of February start checking kittery trading posts website.
They have really good deals end of each season. That's how I've bought most of mine.

Exactly what I did and DON"t forget to finish them with spar varnish etc. in the off season. It will make them last forever and you wood won't swell up when submerged which screws up your drag.

Offline iceUP207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:48 AM »
If you have the few extra bucks, I highly recommend jacktraps, I have half a dozen 31" with 4 inch reals. Get them at beans and you will have the lifetime warrenty to make them worth every penny.  You will never need another set.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:36 AM »
I've been using the ht explorer magnums for the last 10 years and purchased them from a friend who got many years out of them prior to that. Great tip up only problem I ever had was the staple that holds the flag in for storage falling out. Much more economical than some tip ups and work just as well if not better than my friend heritage lakers. I did see a guy on craigs list in vt with heritages and ht's by the dozens that looked in great shape of ur willing to buy used check em out.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I have had Jack Traps, Max Traps, and now I will only fish Heritage.

1.) Jack traps and Max traps can't hold big bait without false bait flags unless you use some sort of bait clip.  Heritage will take the biggest bait without a lot of false flags.

2.) Big easy to use real.

3.) All three are great at not getting wind flags, Max and Jack have a system that hooks inside a holding system and can be a pain to set up until you are used to them.

4.) By far the easiest flag to see at a distance.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Yes heritage Lakers, Great tip up.
Beaver dams are good too.
Stay clear of the Indian hills.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.