Author Topic: Just bought my first Jaw Jacker  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Just bought my first Jaw Jacker
« on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:15 AM »
After hearing testimonials from the die hards on this site I just had to get one to try it myself. I've read the tips watched videos etc but ultimately I find the best information comes from folks that really live to fish. This I turn to you guys for tips. I usually fish lake trout with live smelt on my set line while I jig. I set a smelt down, hooked in the back with a split shot about a foot up. Will this same set up work well with the jaw jacker? I appreciate your help in advance.
Cheers,

Keith
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
Re: Just bought my first Jaw Jacker
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:28 AM »
After hearing testimonials from the die hards on this site I just had to get one to try it myself. I've read the tips watched videos etc but ultimately I find the best information comes from folks that really live to fish. This I turn to you guys for tips. I usually fish lake trout with live smelt on my set line while I jig. I set a smelt down, hooked in the back with a split shot about a foot up. Will this same set up work well with the jaw jacker? I appreciate your help in advance.
Cheers,

Keith

Yep! Works perfect for that. The biggest tip I (or anyone) can give is make sure the mechanicals don't get wet (unless it's above freezing) otherwise if so and freezes it won't trip the trigger to set the hook when a fish gets on.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Thanks Dennis. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:05 AM »
Yes it does,  i do it all the time

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Do you find certain rods work better than others?
-Ernest Hemingway

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Yep! Works perfect for that. The biggest tip I (or anyone) can give is make sure the mechanicals don't get wet (unless it's above freezing) otherwise if so and freezes it won't trip the trigger to set the hook when a fish gets on.
I had the trigger do that last weekend but it didn't get wet to begin with  ???

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:17 AM »
I had the trigger do that last weekend but it didn't get wet to begin with  ???

Are You aware that there is a plastic wing nut that adjusts the tension on the trigger for different resistances (for different size baits) etc?

Otherwise I may have been sitting in snow an got damp/froze. I'm always in the habit of testing every possible thing before walking away from a set rig

Offline FalcoJP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:49 PM »
Curious about this too just bought one.
JP

I have a hard time talking to people, unless its about fishing

Offline Flagging

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:46 PM »
So for the guys who were using these over derby weekend, how'd you make sure they weren't freezing?  The air was a weird fog that would freeze to everything out in the open that moved ( at least where I was on Squam).  Did that effect your Jaw Jackers?

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:59 PM »
So for the guys who were using these over derby weekend, how'd you make sure they weren't freezing?  The air was a weird fog that would freeze to everything out in the open that moved ( at least where I was on Squam).  Did that effect your Jaw Jackers?

As I previously mentioned there is a plastic wing nut that can be adjusted for tension.

Also I'm in the habit of constantly checking the rigs (every 15-20 ) mins or so especially in conditions where there is extreme cold, wind, snow to be sure the holes/lines aren't freezing up and they are functioning properly.

I've also noticed a big difference in hook ups when constantly checking the bait (usually smelt for Me) to make sure it stays lively. Several times I'll have a rod fire within minutes of checking the rig/bait

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Thanks for the input Keith. Congrats on those hogs derby weekend.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2017, 05:30 AM »

What i did was every time i checked my smelt i would also make sure that lever moved freely i would take the line off and move it back and forth and break any crust off that may have formed on it

Offline MikeSJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2017, 06:17 AM »

I use an thin spray lube that is good to -80 on the wing nut/ trigger assembly as extra insurance but still keep checking everything often

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2017, 06:46 AM »

I use an thin spray lube that is good to -80 on the wing nut/ trigger assembly as extra insurance but still keep checking everything often

That's a really good idea. What brand?
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2017, 07:57 AM »
As I previously mentioned there is a plastic wing nut that can be adjusted for tension.

Also I'm in the habit of constantly checking the rigs (every 15-20 ) mins or so especially in conditions where there is extreme cold, wind, snow to be sure the holes/lines aren't freezing up and they are functioning properly.

I've also noticed a big difference in hook ups when constantly checking the bait (usually smelt for Me) to make sure it stays lively. Several times I'll have a rod fire within minutes of checking the rig/bait
good info, I don't use these but do check my baits often to make sure the smelt is lively and has not knotted up the leaders or sometimes swim up into holes. I've found it helps a lot.
Salmonemia

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:18 AM »
good info, I don't use these but do check my baits often to make sure the smelt is lively and has not knotted up the leaders or sometimes swim up into holes. I've found it helps a lot.

Yeah, I've learned this the hard way with my heritage laker traps. Sat on a bait rob for longer than I care to. Now I check them about once an hour (depending on temp).
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline MikeSJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:38 AM »
That's a really good idea. What brand?

I use a product called Motorkote Spray.  I use it for everything.  Guns, reels, tip ups, jaw jackers, locks, door hinges,  For me it's like WD-40 on steroids.  Their products are worth checking out IMHO.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Thanks Mike. Appreciate it.
-Ernest Hemingway

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.