Author Topic: Vexilar Vs. Lowrance  (Read 12953 times)

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: VEXILAR FL-22HD
« Reply #90 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Nice fish!

Offline bjeff42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish forced to work!!
Re: Vexilar Vs. Lowrance
« Reply #91 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Personally I got a Marcum but I would definitely go with a traditional flasher and not a digital screen Lowrance thing.  I think the real flasher would be a lot easier to read and would get a better "reaction time" and be more accurate since it only has one use instead of the two different modes on the Lowrance so I think the Lowrance wouldn't be good in the flasher mode.  If you're broke the Lowrance is better than nothing but I would wait and get a real flasher if you could.
Have you ever used a Lowrance X67c There is no difference in reaction time and is just as accurate as you marcum. A buddy of mine had a Marcum and got rid of it for the Lowrance cause he liked it better, so yes I have used both and there is no difference. I personally would not spend the extra money even if I had it The Lowrance is a great unit and you will be very happy with it.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:19 PM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BzPWf8hEM

Fixed the link.

Tasty meal there. ;)

Offline shibes24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:45 PM »
I use my Lowrance X125. It's not made for ice fishing, but it's the same one I use on the summer on the boat.  Since I started using it for ice fishing, I've found I catch a ton more fish.  While I've never used a Vex or Marcum, I'm sure they are wonderful as well.  Go with what you can afford and one that you will use.  Any electronics, if used properly, will help you catch more fish. 

Offline CB2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Walk on Water - Just Like Jesus
« Reply #94 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:56 PM »
I plan on buying my first flasher this year and I planned on buying a vexilar until someone let me use their Lowrance Ice Machine X67 out on the ice yesterday.  What is/are the dissadvantages of the ice machine that people would spend an extra $200 bucks for a vexilar, which in my oppinion is harder to read and the ice machine has a flasher mode that looks just like the vexilar.  Can you guys offer any input?

There is no disadvantage, only advantages.  Its cheaper, you get flasher and graph modes..... even though you wont use the flasher mode once you use the graph, you can use it year round, way more features.... esp being able to zoom into any section of the water column very tightly, longer battery time, and its not a 1980's mechanical device with motors, brushes and other moving parts that can wear out over time.  That being said they both work and will help you catch more fish, so dont listen to us and go buy something.
CB

Offline CB2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Walk on Water - Just Like Jesus
« Reply #95 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Personally I got a Marcum but I would definitely go with a traditional flasher and not a digital screen Lowrance thing.  I think the real flasher would be a lot easier to read and would get a better "reaction time" and be more accurate since it only has one use instead of the two different modes on the Lowrance so I think the Lowrance wouldn't be good in the flasher mode.  If you're broke the Lowrance is better than nothing but I would wait and get a real flasher if you could.

:blink:
CB

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #96 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:58 AM »
here's my afternoon with the Fl-22 HD. The more I use this unit the more impressed I am.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BzPWf8hEM
Fished Friday with my 22 for gills in 30-40ft of water.  Never fished water that deep before.  Like you said darkwater, totally impressed!!  Ran the split zoom on the 6 and 12 ft settings back and forth.  Just unbelievable!  Can't believe the difference from this and my FL-8.  Like night and day.  Best ice fishing investment for me so far and I even have a Nils, IDI Artic Armor, Strikemaster and a Jiffy.  This was my third time out with my new baby and can't wait till the next!  Fin

Offline StinkyFingerz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Coming from someone who has owned both, the X67c is where it's at, I bought one last year and have never looked back.  Don't get me wrong, a Vex does a good job, I fished over one for 6 or 7 years.  But there is nothing that a vex can do the the x67c can't.  You could even make an argument that the flasher on the x67c might be even more sensitive since it has a 256 color display as opposed to a 3 color display.  But I'm not really sure since I only use graph mode.  You can zoom in on any part of the water column.  This is handy when fishing suspended crappie.  I could actually see multiple individual fish moving up and down as I jigged when a school would come through.  There is also no annoying hum like on the vexilar since there are no moving parts.  Save money and get more options, go with the x67c.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:59 AM »
I have a X-135, it works OK for ice fishing but has two real disadvantages:  Anyone else using sonar nearby will completely whack it out, and it works very poorly when it is really cold (LCD is no good in the cold).

My buddy has a X67-c, it works OK in the cold but also lacks any kind of interference rejection, so it is useless when another sonar is nearby....

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:59 PM »
I have a X-135, it works OK for ice fishing but has two real disadvantages:  Anyone else using sonar nearby will completely whack it out, and it works very poorly when it is really cold (LCD is no good in the cold).

My buddy has a X67-c, it works OK in the cold but also lacks any kind of interference rejection, so it is useless when another sonar is nearby....
You my friend have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the x67c. It does have Interference rejection, it's under sonar settings with three different settings. Tell your buddy to read the manual. I know reading can be a little difficult when all you know is how to turn a knob or push a button.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:31 PM »
i would go with the 12 they are a lot more sensitive than the 8 other than that they are purity much the same.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #101 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:33 PM »
really?  why a 12 for the less money you can get a way better unit in the marcum vx-1 and a way way better unit in the humminbird ice 35.  Vex fan boys will never cease to amaze me in their blind faith to their demigod vexilar.......
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #102 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:35 PM »
really?  why a 12 for the less money you can get a way better unit in the marcum vx-1 and a way way better unit in the humminbird ice 35.  Vex fan boys will never cease to amaze me in their blind faith to their demigod vexilar.......
well they have had only one owner  ;D

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #103 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:48 PM »
well they have had only one owner  ;D

How do ypou figure?  Just check the history tab at vexilar.com and watch the slide show.  Vexilar has changed hands numerous times.......
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #104 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:50 PM »
You my friend have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the x67c. It does have Interference rejection, it's under sonar settings with three different settings. Tell your buddy to read the manual. I know reading can be a little difficult when all you know is how to turn a knob or push a button.
thats right my friend i fish with many people and never had a problem except the 55 hummy but with a little tweeking it was just fine and i'm talking less than 10', i have a fl18 vex and posted it last year 3 feet from my 67c no problem and to answer the question at hand they all do the job ,but i like the 67c just a little better ,just sold an fl8 that was 15 years old ,and my 18 is 8 yrs. they both run perfect ,my 67c is only 3 yrs . and runs great  and if you can see a 1/32 oz jig in 30+ ft what more does someone need  just my .02

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #105 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:59 PM »
How do ypou figure?  Just check the history tab at vexilar.com and watch the slide show.  Vexilar has changed hands numerous times.......
  well i stand corrected  ;D they are on the second, first was from a bankrupcy, and the other are the present owners ,who both worked for the company for many yrs , i'm glad you told me to look it up eyestroker ,i also found that they have done alot of interesting things in the past few decades ,it is quite a history, hope the rest last as long

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.