Author Topic: Crazy year1  (Read 1747 times)

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crazy year1
« on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Fishing sounds poor all over and the ice is poor considering the month of Dec. was so cold on average. Climate change, overharvest, poor water and air quality. The changes keep coming year after year and it never seems to get better. Thoughts?
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Crazy year1
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Meh, my year's shaping up to be my best so far, for just about every species I've targeted. No complaints here.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline mistaya

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Was out at Calling this week and the ice is great. Lots of vehicles and the driving conditions are good. Didnt even use 4x4. The fishing was very slow. Jacks are biting but not much for the Walleye. Must say its better than Fawcett.

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:57 PM »
I'd have to say my year is going pretty well so far.  I'm not going to say I've been slaying tonnes of fish everytime I go out, but I got a few new toys, meet some new people to fish with, and the year is really just getting started.  Still have a couple months to go for sure, and I plan on making the most of it... ;D

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Good to hear because as I go through various boards there seems to be a lot of negativity about ice conditions and catch rates. I 've only been out a few times and it was great everytime, good ice, good numbers of fish so I wanted to see if it was all real or just fear mongering. The ice conditions are different depending where you are, which again seems weird to me after having weeks of minus 20 or better temps. I am a firm believer that the best ice fishing in Alberta starts at the end of Jan. and picks up speed until closures arrive. Good luck everybody and please be safe on the ice this year we don't need any casualties from pursuing our passion.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline BigJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:00 PM »
It's been an alright year for me with the exception of whitefish which continue to elude my best efforts.  On everything else, I've experienced 'fair to good' fishing at various times and locations.  It's arguable whether or not the quick lapse to winter and sudden, heavy, snowfalls after a hot autumn affected fishing quality, but it definately did do a number on central alberta lake ice conditions.  While northern lakes are doing fine, central ones have tons of flood water patches and are having a real hard time gaining thickness even through the cold weather that marked December and early January. 

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:07 PM »
I suck...so I can't blame anything but my suckiness...if that is a word.

I would like to have another year like last, 3 new species...a trophy for the wall...but alas...I am mostly gonna be walking on now....though this will lead to new areas explored....might work out to my advantage....who knows.

Anyway, I always thought fishing was best between mid-end jan to close and that consistent weather has been key in when I do the best....no matter cold or warmer than normal....as long as those temps stay constant for a few days in a row...I seem to do better.

All that said...I still suck...so...lol

Cheers!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Wild-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:37 PM »
NO COMPLAINTS THUS FAR. GOOD FISHING!!!!
Never Met a Fish I Didn't Like...

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:21 PM »
haven't been out enough at all this season to complain. Only been out once and it was a great day on the ice.

For me just getting a line in the water is good enough right now.

Cheers!

~Gone Fishing~

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can i claim the tackle shop owner as a dependent?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Fishing and Ice conditions are awesome everywhere but Sylvan. Had a good day out at Buffalo, Gull is good, heard Pine is unreal right now, Abraham Lake and Jackfish Lake are really good, Burnstick is sick right now i guess, Cow is off the charts i'm told, Medicine Lake is frickin unbelievable, Open Creek west of Rimbey is a good place for Rainbows, Pigeon can't be to bad er what? I figure overall it's pretty good and the weather has been excellent.

Offline fishhunter77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:25 PM »
So far a pretty good year.  The bite may only be on for 20 minutes at certain lakes.  Did really well for trout when the ice came on.  A ton of little perch all over.  The big guys are hard to get and to find.  Next trip will be for some Whites for the smoker. 

Can't complain about the weather for the last 5 days.  I hope everyone can get out and enjoy the outdoors.  Good luck. :tipup:

Offline tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:51 PM »
I'd have to say my year is going pretty well so far.  I'm going to say I've been slaying tonnes of fish everytime I go out, but I got a few new toys, meet some new people to fish with, and the year is really just getting started.  Still have a couple months to go for sure, and I plan on making the most of it... ;D

Did you get your Gator yet ??

Offline Wild-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:56 PM »
best advice i ever got to cure slow ice fishing is to think of it like hunting.
youre not going to find many deer in the middle of a field in the heat of the day in july.
sure they'll be there in the evening or the fall......
THINK like the FISH.
BE the FISH!!!!!!! ::)

Offline Rumtan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:17 PM »
Kinda like a zen pizza (one with everything)

Offline Wild-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Ha!!!! Exactly right rumtan!!!! :))

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Did you get your Gator yet ??

Yup, I got it now, and life is good.  ;D