Author Topic: colorado pike  (Read 5584 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
colorado pike
« on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:23 AM »
caught this pike last time out. not too shabby I guess.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
Re: colorado pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:26 AM »
uuuhhhh....gulp....... :o......nice catch!  Toothy sun-uf-a-gun, eh?!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:39 AM »
nice piker, tfb!  hey, i was looking through some old posts on mff, and happened across yer big gill post.  ya might just wanna avoid the controversy, but ya have any recent huge gill pics?  love to see 'em!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2006, 03:38 PM »
nice fish!! and nice ice!!! im jealous

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2006, 03:44 PM »
Fish, what's that stuff you're standing on?  I haven't seen that stuff in a while!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:11 PM »
I like those toothys ;D
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:11 PM »
nice
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2007, 12:16 PM »
nice piker, tfb!  hey, i was looking through some old posts on mff, and happened across yer big gill post.  ya might just wanna avoid the controversy, but ya have any recent huge gill pics?  love to see 'em!
I haven't fished ole jerry in quite a while but I did fish it this may and I caught one that almost broke my own state record, a 12". I also caught a crapload of lmb that day too. I got in the newspaper for the 12" gill...I'm gonna see if I can scan the article for you.
here's a pic of the fish in the mean time:

if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2007, 01:25 PM »
I haven't fished ole jerry in quite a while but I did fish it this may and I caught one that almost broke my own state record, a 12". I also caught a crapload of lmb that day too. I got in the newspaper for the 12" gill...I'm gonna see if I can scan the article for you.
here's a pic of the fish in the mean time:

Definately a nice bluegill at 12 inches.  However, a 12 inch bluegill is not a 15 inch bluegill.  Why haven't you entered your 15 inch bluegills toward the state record, since you say the record is 12 inches??

Just curious.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Definately a nice bluegill at 12 inches.  However, a 12 inch bluegill is not a 15 inch bluegill.  Why haven't you entered your 15 inch bluegills toward the state record, since you say the record is 12 inches??

Just curious.
well, to be fair, the record isn't 12", it is 12.5", held by me. I haven't caught those 14" bluegills since they started allowing float tubes..the fishery is definitely damaged, but I know if I fish it next year more than I did this year (read, 2 times), then I can probably catch a 14" and if I want to, I'll submit it.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:32 PM »
TFB, your inbox is full!

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:36 PM »
nice pike and blue gill
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2007, 09:22 PM »
The pike is not shabby at all CONGRATS :clap: :clap:

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:14 AM »
Well, due to the fact I have my own opinions and my fishing tactics and systems differ, I actually am not allowed to pm on this site nor can I accept or see pms.

Nobody discredits your ability to fish or your opinions.  As a matter of fact your trout are bigger than any trout I have caught, considering I have never fished for or caught a trout.

I think where people discredit you, is your estimation of fish length.

All the states I know of use weight for state records, does Colorado do it differently there, by using length?
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:31 AM »
Nobody discredits your ability to fish or your opinions.  As a matter of fact your trout are bigger than any trout I have caught, considering I have never fished for or caught a trout.

I think where people discredit you, is your estimation of fish length.

All the states I know of use weight for state records, does Colorado do it differently there, by using length?
well, people here only discredit me because they simply cannot believe because they have not fished it. They believe somehow I am editing photos or doing other underhanded things to make fish seem larger. I've shown many people this fishery and taken many people and they about die of a heart attack when they see me pulling out huge bluegills every cast in the evening on a cricket fly under a bubble. Also, I live in an area where the fisheries are just different. Devoid of pelagic baitfish and high in elevation, fish can and do act differently than the fish in the ecosystems most of you guys fish (canadian shield style lakes). Also, most of my fisheries are smaller in land area but deeper, because they are mostly reservoirs. We have very few natural lakes. Consider ice fishing for trout. In canadian shield style lakes, you guys fish 1-4 fow generally. Here, you would be laughed at fishing that shallow in most fisheries (the delaney buttes being an exception), because here a lot of the forage is either mysis shrimp or crawdads for the trout. Thus, if trout are consuming mysis, they will be over very deep water at times, but generally suspend somewhere in the 8-15 foot range because they are feeding on the mysis. If they are feeding on crawdads, they will be in rocky areas because naturally, crawdads like rocks more than just about anything. Thusly, our tactics very greatly for trout because the trout are in different areas. However, I have posted this numerous times and many posters have tried to discredit my information given. What I say obviously works well for me, and it's not just me fishing say 12 feet of water for rainbows in colorado, slayerfish and the other guys generally do too. So its not like I'm lying about anything. That was a wonderful tangent. I also find it interesting how more and more individuals seem to be praising florocarbon tippet for pike. IMO it is a good, solid choice. Most of my fisheries are very small, pressured greatly, clear water, and have fewer northerns, sot he northerns are generally a lot more intelligent and less apt to hit something with wire attached. However, I've been called out on that many times. Apparently I'm lying about how my fisheries fish...It doesn't make any sense why I would do such a thing to me...and I don't. I tell it straight out how I have success.
As I've probably told you a hundred or so times, once again, colorado has two types of records. Kept fish and Released fish. Kept fish is by weight, released is by length. Since the fishery where I get these large bluegills is C&R, I am only eligible for the released record. Since I already have it, I feel no need to upgrade it to a larger fish. And please, don't ask me these same questions next week, and the week after, and the week after, because I've already answered them all for you a hundred times crappie66.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:52 AM »
hey man, i'll DEFINITELY believe that pic on this thread is a 12"er. thing looks huge!  i'll have to say i'm still a little skeptical on some of the fish, not saying that i don't believe you, but the size of some of those sunnies is just hard for me to comprehend!! however, i'm sure there are a very select few lakes in the country where that kind of fishing is possible. take upper red lake here in minnesota for example. nobody would believe that someone could catch LIMITS of 15" craps on a lake CONSISTENLY, but it use to happen before the lake got fished down. and that only happened because every possible thing that coulda gone right did.  you probably had the "upper red lake" of sunnies in that little hole.  too bad to hear it got fished down, man.  i almost shed a tear w/e i hear of a lake that special being ruined.  i guess nothing's good enough to last  :'( :'( :'(

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:48 PM »
too bad to hear it got fished down, man.  i almost shed a tear w/e i hear of a lake that special being ruined.  i guess nothing's good enough to last  :'( :'( :'(
It opened less than a decade ago for the first time ever, and the bluegill's average size consistently got smaller each year because poachers would keep a lot of the monstrous bluegills. My brother was up there this year and  he saw someone filling their bucket up with bluegills over 10 inches and he told them they couldn't do that and they almost got in a fight. Well, eventually the person dumped the bucket back in the water, but let's just say there were about 20-30 huge bluegills floating around after that  >:(

dwayne

« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:33 PM »
ohh my god....can't this "orka bluegill" argument just end....Scan the darn article in and shut everyone up or shut up yourself.....     ::)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:57 PM »
My brother was up there this year and  he saw someone filling their bucket up with bluegills over 10 inches and he told them they couldn't do that and they almost got in a fight.

Were they keeping more than the daily limit allowed in Colorado??
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:04 PM »
No, you aren't allowed to keep anything from that reservoir I believe... ::)

Offline Ambystoma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2007, 07:59 PM »
The kids telling the truth about the big gills. I have caught a few around 11" there myself. It is a Watershed for G.J. so it is all catch and release.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/AwardsRecords/RecordsbyLength/

Offline sunfishkid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2007, 05:46 PM »
nice pike :thumbsup:

Offline flagnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:35 PM »
That is a nice pike.I have never couch a pike.Yet

Offline HTG