Author Topic: Anyone fish Verdant Lake?  (Read 8670 times)

Offline remps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27' Rainbow anyone???
Anyone fish Verdant Lake?
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:41 PM »
Heard from one person that Verdant Lake is supposed have some decent sized brookies in it but have never tried it. I've hit up Vivian lake just south of it and enjoy fishing it from rainbows though there are big brookies ithere as well. Just dont want to make a trip out to the lake and find out that it sucks. Specially when it is this cold. Anybody?
There's always a bigger fish... and I'm going to get it!

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
Re: Anyone fish Verdant Lake?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:21 PM »
ive tried it years ago and got skunked- heard the same rumour about big brookies tho...
never know till u try! :)
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline squirrel nuts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:08 PM »
I've fished it many times and only caught small ones.Have a friend who has one on his wall caught at that lake around 7 lbs.Beautiful fish even if looks like a football. :)

Offline salmoncandy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:09 PM »
Ive caught lots of different sizes out of the lake but recently SN and I havnt caught any big ones. We have a few friends that go their often and catch big ones, but very few. Hit and Miss id say.

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:02 PM »

I have fished Verdant a lot in the past and never ever caught anything bigger than 2.5 lbs. 

Yet, everytime I talk to someone, they say there's 4 and 5 lb'ers coming out of there ....... yet I never see any pictures or fish to prove it  ???  So those who say big brookers from Verdant ... pics pls.

Vivian however, has proven to produce big brookies in excess of 5 lbs.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:36 PM »
all this talk of big brookies- makes me wanna see some- if i had any i would post em- anyone got any???

Offline Bill Dance

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Remember, always keep both hands on your rod!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 12:54 AM »
I have seen with my own eyes at least a 4 1/2 lber from Verdant about 2 years ago. :o The guy was just coming out when I was getting there around 8:00am. I heard that these fish are very early risers as with most of these brook trout lakes around that area.

:tipup: :icefish:

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 12:03 PM »
I have seen with my own eyes at least a 4 1/2 lber from Verdant about 2 years ago. :o The guy was just coming out when I was getting there around 8:00am. I heard that these fish are very early risers as with most of these brook trout lakes around that area.

Now I know this is BS because there were no fish in Verdant Lake 2 years ago.  There were no fish in the lake as it killed off.   (which is a fact and I am sure some members here will acknowledge as 'no fish' caught!).  Should be catchable 1-2 lb fish this year if they stocked it that spring or fall after it winterkilled.

I do know people get Vivian and Verdant mixed up and most likely the case with the large fish stories .... Vivian always has big brook trout.....and just like your buddy says ... 'earlier the better'. 

but like I said -- I have fished Verdant for years and have never caught / nor seen a big one caught from Verdant.  I have been there when there's 15-20 people on Verdant and no one catches a big one!  One time I was in a store the next day and some guys came in who I recognized as being at Verdant the previous day as well and they promptly told stories of 4 lb brookies with straight as a matter of fact serious looks on their face ....... (they were no more than 2 lbs!)

Or maybe Bill ........ a fat 2.5 lb brookie translates to 4 1/2 pounds in your eyes !!  :woot:   

Offline remps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27' Rainbow anyone???
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:26 PM »
Alrighty, well I guess that answers my question about that lake. Guess if I head up that way I will stick to Vivian.

Next question is are there any lakes with large rainbows still open? The ones I have marked down as wanting to fish or do fish all close for the winter as they want them to be trophy lakes which to me means that there would be no lakes (not talking about big lakes) open. I know some good spots for big brookies but not many for big rainbows that I can try during the winter.

Offline remps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27' Rainbow anyone???
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:12 PM »
This if for you ianwuzhere. It is the biggest brookie I have caught to date as I have generally gone for rainbows so not sure what you would classify as big for brookies but you asked for pic and here it is. I caught this one 2 weeks ago at Gravel Pit Lake west of PG. Caught 7 that day but brought this guy home. My finger span is 9 inches.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:24 PM »
rite on - always like the pix!!
 looks to be around the 16" mark- always nice eatin as they are thick. i heard rumours at one time that lake use to have some larger fish. but as time goes on i think the rumours of the fish get bigger. im sure we've all heard about someone saying theres a place somewheres where you can catch 5 pound fish all day long...still searchin for a lake like that. one 5 pounder a day would be great! Soon ill have to get out and try a few lil things i been makin for jiggin. hopefully will increase my catches- till then just have to drool at the pix and wait..
cheers!

Offline fish-slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go big or go home.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:34 PM »
Ive caught fish out of there 2 years ago and last year nothing big but there in there that's for sure.I seen some 5 lbs out of there & heard of some 7 plus. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icefish:
TEAM BC

Offline remps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27' Rainbow anyone???
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2008, 01:56 AM »
Those are some nice brookies there. I have a friend who talked with some DFO's and they say there are brookies in there that up to 8lbs. Now whether that is true or not is a different story. Also said you only pulled those ones out when the ice is on also so I'm hoping to get out and see if that is true or not.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:38 AM »
wow, now those are 2 nice lookin brookies- thats what i was hopin to see- i love them fish. always super hard to catch in the summer!!

Offline Hoss!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Here is a couple pics from Verdant over the years, I have more, however I'm having a hard time uploading them. There is more than a few Walters swimming in there.

Offline Hoss!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:51 PM »
I am quite surprized to hear that Verdant winter killed, would have thought that its deep enough to avoid a die off, but I suppose with the amount of vegetation in the lake its possible. I have never caught any larger brookies out of there after mid december, usually right after the ice goes on is best for trophy results. Always found that come december there is just to much shrimp in there and the fish are very finicky and gorged on the feed. You knew as soon as you auged a hole, by the amount of shrimp on the ice (cup loads usually) how the fishing was going to be. In my experience anyhow.

Cheers Bill

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Here is a couple pics from Verdant over the years, I have more, however I'm having a hard time uploading them. There is more than a few Walters swimming in there.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice solid 2-3 lb fish!  Have caught plenty like those ones ... but what of the 4, 5, 6 lbers??

Offline Hoss!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:27 PM »
That fish in the top pic was well beyond 2-3 lbs BC. I have weighed many fish in the 4.5-5.5 lbs range from Verdant back in the nineties when I was hardwater fishing a lot more than I do know. As SQ said earlier we have some buddies that have fish on the wall that are 7+ lbs I will see if I can get them to take a couple photos and I will post them to dispell the nay sayers. Verdant has always been far more productive for larger fish than Vivian for me.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:52 PM »
WOW
them are some beauty brookies- pretty tuff to catch them! such nice lookin colors, always such a thick fish. i think there should be some couple pounders in ness lake too. on the bottom of the lake there are tons of them lil bull-head fish -found the brookies love eatin them. i think that there should be a few fat ones in there..
-the real question is:
Who is gonna be postin some pix of foot ball brookies taken this season??
hopefully this windy cold snap will bugger off and we can all go out ice fishin in warmer weather in the near future!
Awesome pix, thanx for postin- now i wanna go fishing, grrr!

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:21 PM »

Who is gonna be postin some pix of foot ball brookies taken this season??

Maybe you?? 

Offline Bill Dance

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2008, 12:27 AM »
Found some interesting information on Verdant.
Date             Species        Strain       Genotype    Stage                  Released    Grams      Mark
2008-06-20   Brook Trout   AYLMER    All Female    Triploid Fingerling   2500             7.6 
2007-06-07   Brook Trout   AYLMER    All Female    Triploid Fingerling   2500             7.9 
2006-06-09   Brook Trout   AYLMER    All Female    Triploid Fingerling   2500             6 
2005-06-07   Brook Trout   AYLMER    All Female    Triploid Fingerling   5000             7.4 

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2008, 09:52 AM »

Bill - they have been stocking Verdant / Vivian for a long long time.  Longer than what you put up.  Lakes are still susceptible to winter / summer kill in between stocking.

Offline Dctr. Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
  • P.E.T.A. People for Eating Tasty Animals
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:13 AM »
Holy smokes hoss those are some fantastic brookies hoss :o hope to see more of your pics in the future. Thanks Bill for posting that stocking info :)

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:57 AM »

I must of had a bad childhood or something? I was a bed wetter! :laugh:

:thumbsup:   

Heck of an admission  :roflmao:

Offline BigCougar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2008, 01:49 PM »
I haven't caught anything of size yet, but here's a few pictures from last week.

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2008, 02:58 PM »

Great pics!!  Camp Lake in Eskers?

What kind of camera did you use?

I haven't caught anything of size yet, but here's a few pictures from last week.

Offline Bill Dance

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:00 PM »
Thanks Bill for posting that stocking info :)
No problem Doc. I thought it was quite interesting.

Offline Dctr. Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2008, 02:57 AM »
Nice photos BigCougar thanks for posting :)

Offline BigCougar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:16 AM »
I use a Canon Powershot SD600 camera.  Bought one on Ebay for $120 but you can find even better deals on new cameras.

I have many pictures but they are mostly from open water.  Here's two more from last week.

You can see what I'm using to catch them. :)

Offline Dctr. Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2008, 12:21 PM »
Wow very nice indeed. You know I think brook trout might just be the finest looking fish swimming in our waters.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.