Author Topic: Zach's 2005-06 Hardwater Season: Update 2-15 Smallmouth and other pics (Page 13)  (Read 28916 times)

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
C'mon guys, give me a friggin break...
That was my point, and pikeguys too I believe...

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
You're gonna be nailed to the floor!! Enjoy!! Hows that go.....

"A young man once asked a young woman to marry him...........The young woman said NO!..............The young man went fishing and hunting as much as he pleased for the rest of his life"

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

PIKEGUY

That was my point, and pikeguys too I believe...

Yep. Nothing wrong with a girl that likes you and likes to fish. To an extent of course ;)

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
Yeha, but it's a lot different than when you were here!  See that white building?  That's a big @ss student center that they're building right now.  It's complete with a pool hall, a new cafe, a NEW BUXTON  :thumbsup: , and YES....even a bar!  :woot: There's also a huge library that's only a few years old.  I'll take some pictures and post them on here later on so you can see what I mean.

-Zach

Was last up about 2 years ago, and actually, I don't like it.  Ya can't see the stinkin' lake anymore  :cookoo:
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Well, this weekend was full of fun, as we held the IceShanty Adirondack Get-Together on Simon Pond (off Tupper Lake).

Here is Coldbum and I with our nice walleyes, 22" and 21" respectively.

Today, I headed out here on Lower St. Regis Lake for some pike action...while I didn't get any flags that resulted in landed fish, we managed a couple nice fish anyway.

I caught this nice pike on my UL, while jigging for perch...24" on 3 lb. test...taken on a jig made by Cold Feet.

My friend Ryan jigged up this nice bass, which was his first bass ever through the ice.

My flags are going to be left out all night, so hopefully I'll have a flag or 2 in the AM!  ;) :D

-Zach

bonkfan14

good luck tonight hopefully you will have 5 flags in the morn...zeke

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
NIce walleye Zac  hope you get 5 flags in the AM :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey Zach my name is Ben and i will be attending my Freshman year at paul Smiths in Fall of 06! I am an avid outdoorsman and love to fish and hunt. I knew that the hunting was good in New York, but i didn't realize that the fishing was as good! Great Pics! Since i will be away from my normal fishing ranges in VT I was hoping that you could give me some suggestions on were to go fishing over there at Paul Smiths. I love to fish for Lake Trout, Salmon, Walley, Northerns and of course perch and smelt! Any suggestions on were to go would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Zach, and keep posting those awesome Pics!   P.S. Any good deer hunting spots would be awesome too! just joking :)

Thanks-    Ben

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Nice fish!! How was the winter camping?? ;)

Robb :tipup:

PIKEGUY

Way to go on all the different fish. :D Great pics as always Zach

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Miserable for me!  I didn't have a tent, or camping gear, so I had to sleep outside on the ground...it sucked so badly, because I was tired (for good reason  :D :P ) and just wanted to get some sleep....I would fall asleep next to the fire, and wake up to it just smoldering...then I would build it back up and fall asleep, and wake up to it smoldering...I ended up sleeping in Harry's truck, although let me tell ya, that was still cold!

-Zach

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Miserable for me!  I didn't have a tent, or camping gear, so I had to sleep outside on the ground...it sucked so badly, because I was tired (for good reason  :D :P ) and just wanted to get some sleep....I would fall asleep next to the fire, and wake up to it just smoldering...then I would build it back up and fall asleep, and wake up to it smoldering...I ended up sleeping in Harry's truck, although let me tell ya, that was still cold!

-Zach

Man that's terrible! But kinda funny :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Sorry bud!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Yeah, it was terrible...but ironically, Harry woke me up in the AM, saying "Let's go catch some walleyes"...after I got out of the truck, we were walking over towards my sled and he said "Oh yes, napkins!", and ran into the woods... :D  So I decided to check my tipups, since I really wasn't motivated enough to do it the night before.  I got to the other side of the island and... :woot:  :o FLAG!!  :tipup:  So I walk over and yank it out and that fish had taken out all my line, down to the knot on my spool!!  I yanked it out of the hole, and pulled on what felt like slack line for a while when all of a sudden it just stopped....damn fish had me wrapped around a log or something!  :%$#!:  So I wrapped my hand around the line, and pulled hard, thinking that either my line was going to break or the fish was going to come up...low and behold, the line pops free and out comes a 21" walleye!  :clap: :thumbsup: 

-Zach

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Nice!! Did you guys finish ALL the Pizza?? Hope there was enough ;). I think in the next few weeks a few of us are goning to head up to Raquette lake if your interested......

Robb :tipup:

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
When we were getting ready to leave, there were 2 pizzas...I brought one and Sal, J, and Bruce got the other...mine is gone!  :D  Would I be interested in Raquette Lake?  You know I would be!!

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
You bonehead...winter camping with no tent or gear...geeezzz???    :o ???  You must have froze your a** off!!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Well, I had originally planned to just fish all night....but as you can see, plans change!  ::)

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
It probably didn't have anything to do with that keg of beer, did it?   ;)   I can't say i havn't done the same thing before.

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
Zach,  how did you make out last night??  anything??

Brent   :tipup:

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
My flags are going to be left out all night, so hopefully I'll have a flag or 2 in the AM!  ;) :D

Is it legal to leave tip-ups out all night unattended while you are not monitoring them?  (Or anytime?)

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Went out last night to check my tipups...had 2 flags, with one being a bait tripped falg and the other, which had on a dead shiner, was stripped off the hook.  So I reset the one that still had bait, and left...

This AM, I went out and check my tipups again.  On the way out, my friend Wes, who had brougth his jigging rod, dropped his hali down a hole and BAM!, caught this nice perch.

So we continue down to the flags and he drops his jig in another hole...BAM!  His line goes slack, the result of a pike bite off... :'(
We finally get to the tipups, and I had a bait flag on the one from the night before...so I reset it and decided to check my tipups...I got to the last one and my bait had buried itself in the weeds...so I reset it about a foot higher, and we left...100 yards later, I turned around and the flag was up!  So I ran over to it, and pulled out this small, eater size pike.

Wasn't a bad morning afterall...the walk is killer, but it's a good spot!  :D

-Zach

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
Nice fish guys!

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
NIce fish guys

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
Is it legal to leave tip-ups out all night unattended while you are not monitoring them?  (Or anytime?)

From DEC site:
In New York State, general angling regulations limit anglers to two jigging lines (or hand lines) and five tip-ups in most waters. Each tip-up must be marked with the operator's name and address; the operator must be in immediate attendance when the lines are in the water.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Ooops....guess I didn't realize that.  I was told before by someone that there was no attendance law in NY...but you can't argue with cold, hard evidence like that.  Thanks Lou!

-Zach

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
CBH, PM box is full...

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Well, I haven't updated this in a while, because this past week I didn't fish too much.  But I have a few pics from today and the weekend before last.

Went out today to do a little jigging because it's so nice out.  The wind was a little heavy, but since it's coming out of the SW, it's actually sort of "warm."  As soon as I dropped a jig down, the bottom came alive with fish.

I caught a ton of perch in short order.  This was the best one, about 10"...nothing special, not even really sure why I took the picture...
All of a sudden the fish just disappeared...I knew there was a predator of some sort in the area.  All of a sudden a mark showed up just below my jig, and hit rather hard...The fight was on!

After about 5 minutes I landed this 18.5" smallmouth(estimated after laying it next to my rod), which is actually the first smallie I've ever caught through the ice.

Another shot...man what a fight!  :)

Last weekend, I jigged out here on Lower St. Regis and caught some nice pumpkinseeds.

Here's a 34" pike taken by a friend of mine...A real nice fish that weighed 10# even...

On Monday, I fished for a few hours with BCjenson, who was up doing work in Ray Brook.

Fishing was slow, but I did manage a nice 11" perch.  Again, not sure why I took the photo...Just to have the pics I guess!

On Tuesday, I went out with Pikie to do some smelt fishing on Upper Saranac...no pics, but we did catch 70 or so in about an hour and 1/2...I was also broke off by a laker...  :'(

Finally, some kitchen shots...

My bowl full of pike...Notice the perch fillets on top.  There are more perch and even a walleye in there somewhere.

I'm not a culinary arts major, and I don't have a ton of fancy breading mixes and stuff...but don't these pan fried pike and perch look great?  ;D

-Zach

PIKEGUY

I just ate and now I'm hungry again? That's not fair Zach ;D

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
Did not catch much  but it sure did snow on us.   caught a couple on colby on sat...  Zach  thanks again for going taking the time to go out with me.

hali-man

Nice fish, guys!
I LOVE smallies...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.