Author Topic: how do you keep water out???  (Read 3607 times)

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
how do you keep water out???
« on: Feb 03, 2005, 07:08 PM »
what does everyone do about the water inside a hard side shack when drilling holes?? i was prepared for ice and slush but not the amount of water that comes up when you pull up the auger.do any of you guys have alittle gizmo or something that works for you to keep the flooding to a minimum?

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
Re: how do you keep water out???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Try this. You can feel the auger when it's just about through. Let the engine go down to the engine wait till the auger stops then slowly bring it out of the hole. Is your shanty movable with ease. I have a portable so I drill my holes the pull the shanty over them.
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:25 PM »
no my shack is way to heavy to move but i was kinda thinking that when i break through to kill the auger then pull it up but that is a pain. i'm thinking of some sort of bucket that would keep the water in the hole but it would have to be low enough  as to get the auger to the floor level to get through the thick ice i just don't know.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2005, 11:21 PM »
I think your first problem is the shack is too close to the ice. What are using for skids? Minimum should be pressure treated 4x4s, or 4x6. Failing that you are far enuf away, what are the size of your holes in the floor?You can cut the bottoms off of 5 gallon pails and put it in the hole before drilling, will keep most of the water in the hole, as long as you can drill right throught now! Other than that, do what you said, shut it off or lift it slowly out or bring a shovel and a broom and clean up after, than stoke the furnace and dry the place out.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2005, 08:04 AM »
cut all the way to the bottom but not through the bust the rest out with a spud

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2005, 09:06 AM »
Check this out and scroll down to the Catch Cover Mini-Auger Mate

http://www.fishhousesupply.com/houseaccessories.htm

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2005, 10:54 AM »
that's what i need that auger catch . I'm thinking that it's my augers fault the floor is up on 4x6's but i took my auger in for a cleaning and it now seems to be spinning too fast after i let off on the throttle which is bring up more water than it should .i just had to think for a while to see what my problem was ,the person that cleaned my auger never set it right

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2005, 05:12 PM »
no my shack is way to heavy to move but i was kinda thinking that when i break through to kill the auger then pull it up but that is a pain. i'm thinking of some sort of bucket that would keep the water in the hole but it would have to be low enough  as to get the auger to the floor level to get through the thick ice i just don't know.
I use 2x12's with plastic stipping tapped on the bottom. This allows to move easily. Clears most of the snow. Up off the ice. Just be sure to lock your jig hole.

Offline FishnFiend

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a Fiend for Fishn'
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2005, 06:54 PM »
Try using a small bilge pump for a boat. You can hook it to your vex battery, & run a short length of hose out the door. Turn it on right at that point you guys were talkin about, the point of no return. After you have 1 hole drilled, stick the hose down the hole.

You can get the pump at Wal-Mart for under $15, or take one out of your boat!

The Fiend :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2005, 07:57 PM »
I haven't done this, just an idea...what if you took a 5 gallon pail with no bottom and put it around the hole? ;)
Oh, someone already had that..well I thought I had a good idea...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.