The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Montanan coming through  (Read 1166 times)

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Montanan coming through
« on: Oct 16, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Hey fellow sportsmen, I'll be driving through on the interstate on my way to Minneapolis in early December. Will there be enough ice to get out and do some fishing? What are some good spots along the way to try? It is usually sketchy in Southwest Montana to get out on the ice in early December. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline fish-core

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Montanan coming through
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2015, 06:42 PM »
i wouldnt be afraid to bring the gear, because there should be fishable ice in early december! im normally able to get on ice the weekend of thanksgiving. sorry cant really help you on the lakes to try though.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2015, 08:37 PM »
thanks, I will bring the gear. I am thinking about Lake Ashtabula and Devils Lake. I may go further north depending on how much time I take off work. thanks again, I appreciate the response.

Offline fish-core

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2015, 11:44 PM »
i should say i'm able to get out on the ice around thanksgiving in NESD. further north should be fine by then, especially if your headed towards Devils Lake! I would think the walleye bite would be hot during early ice up that way. Ashtabula looks promising. I know the Detroit Lakes area may be out of the way a bit but those lakes can kick out some nice panfish and eyes!!

Offline c_becker11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Any species you are targeting?

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2015, 09:04 PM »
C_B
no, I just like ice fishing, I am usually too busy in the summer to take much time off to fish, and I guess that is how my Grandpa got into it as well as he was an old school carpenter in Kindred and worked sunrise to sunset in the summer.

Offline Disco Bobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2015, 08:05 AM »
If you are interested in catching Northern Pike, there are some good lakes in the Steele (East of Bismarck and near interstate 94) area.    Horsehead, Cherry, Helen, Leno, and Arena/Harriet are lakes that I know of.   There are also others.   Not trophies but lots of 3-5lb fish.   People mostly use tip-ups dead bait.  Frozen herring, smelt, and Suckers.  ND has some pretty tight restrictions on live baitfish.  Hot dogs have been known to work as well.  I have also caught them jigging with a tube jig or a large jigging spoon tipped with a fathead.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.