New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1101715 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Hello gang! I'm ready for another season.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Pooley good to see a post from you I hope all is well with you.Hopefully can hook up with you and the rest of the Suffern group this ice season.
Steve

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
HiYa Guys !!!    Can't help it....... Just gotta BRAG !!!   Last Thursday, out of Montauk on "The Viking Starship", won the pool ($400.00) with a 30 lb. Striper !!!  Then, today (Thurs.) out of Captree on "The Laura Lee"....won the pool again with a 6 lb. Fluke  (boat has RSA License to take Fluke out of season) !!!  WHAT A WEEK !!!! 
As much fun as this is...... it still can't hold a candle to hauling a nice fish out of a hole in the ice !!!

Hey Chris & Steve...... good to see you guys on line again!!  Hope we can all get together on the ice this year !!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Iceballs/Roger good to see you here on Ice Shanty also,congrats on two nice fish and boat pool wins. Just curious what is an RSA license never heard of one. Once Hardwater Diehard posts a date for the November gathering I'll put in for the day off so hopefully will see you at Middletown Gander Mountain.
Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Hey guys, just too busy this season to be online much. Rodger, great job on the fish, and the pools! i will try to make the november meeting.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
mr. clean/Steve;  An RSA license is a special permit issued by the DEC to Party Boats.  It permits them to take certain species of fish after the regular season ends.  Ostensibly, this is for research purposes on those species....... there are special rules, for example;  The regular On-season  minimum size for Fluke is 19", but the RSA size is a "slot size" of 14" to 18".  Any fish below, or above, those sizes must be returned to the water.  I think the scientists are trying to determine the current biomass of Fluke in that year class.
Unfortunately, I think it's a sloppy and unfair method.  Only those Party Boats with enough $$$$$$ to purchase such a license can offer their patrons a chance to fish after the season ends.  Also, it removes millions of small fish from the biomass because people are taking those small (14") fish home for food........ there isn't that much meat on a 14" fish to make it worthwhile.  So, basically, "The Rich Get Richer".....  and screw the rest of us !!

Now, before someone jumps down my neck for taking a 6 lb. Fluke in violation of the rules (to win the boat pool)..... the pool rules do not say you must "Keep" the Fluke to win.....you only have to catch it, weigh it, and return it to the sea to be a winner...... and that is what we did to mine.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I was about to give you heck Rodger!  ::)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Iceballs/Roger thank you for the license explanation. I agree about losing small fluke from the biomass. My family and I have made almost yearly vacation trips to Ocean City,NJ. since 1996 the majority of the fluke I have seen caught fall between 14 to 18 inches. The current length limit is 17.5 in NJ. waters if things have not changed since my last visit in June 2012.
 I look forward to seeing Pooley and you at the November gathering. Thank you for releasing your pool winning Fluke.
Steve

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Steve;  Happy to learn the NJ Fluke size is 17.5".  Even that has been steadily rising, year by year, to it's current size.  The real problem in NY/NJ region is the commercial fishery for fluke.  The commercial guys are allowed to take 14" fish in HUGE numbers (because the 14" fish are "Plate Size" for the restaurant trade, and are therefore most desireable).  When you take millions of fish of this size, which have not yet reached breeding age, you immediately prevent the biomass from reproducing in sufficient numbers....and it will sooner or later, collapse!!)  We found this out the hard way with the Blackback Flounder, which are now as scarce as "chickens teeth".
Here in NY the Fluke minimum size is 19" with only a four fish bag limit.  Even the best fishermen have a hard time putting together a limit catch.  When we catch 18" fish all day, we call them "Jersey Fluke" as we toss them back in!!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
hello guys I don't stray to far...hope for a nice ice seasson for all... nice fish rodger  hope to fish with you this winter...
images.jpeg

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
DEWEY whats up???   i was just looking at the drill press i am getting hopefully tomorrow. its time to set up my workbench and produce some of the spoons i made last year. i have found some better ways to produce them easy with limited production time. these i am sure i will be able to sell easy. i plan, if i cant go along with you to the tornies, to send some with you and start to get my lures out to others...   the crappies, perch. 'gills, walleyes, and just about anything else that swims under the ice all have been caught on them and the few people i have let try them have all given me great reports!   if anyone is interested pm me and we can talk...

ITS TIME TO FILL THE FREEZER!!!!!!!!!!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Dewey welcome back hope you had a good summer and open water season. I do not know if you or Boss Jigs have seen a thread by Redneck Fisher (formally William Berger) about the NY. Pro-Am tournament series. Tim Thomas answered one of his questions he is also looking to hear from people who fished in the tournaments and see what their thoughts are on the whole experience.
Steve

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
HiYa Dewey......Good to hear from you.  John and I a glad to have had the chance to meet you and talk for awhile last season.  Looking forward to getting together for some fishing this year!  Let's stay in touch

Rodger

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
I have a question that hopefully someone can answer this past Saturday I was in the Eldred,NY. area. Driving on rt.55 saw a new name in front of the Eldred Preserve property anyone know why the name change and what happened to the preserve?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Steve:  Eldred Preserve shut down completely about two years ago.  My buddy Johnny lives about ten minutes away from there and was very friendly with the original owners.  He told me that they didn't want the bother any more and could not find a buyer to take over (as of last year).  The restaurant stayed open for awhile, but even that closed last year.
I was never one to pay to fish, but it's still a big loss for thousands of kids who caught their first Trout there !!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Roger thank you for the information on Eldred preserve bit of a shock when I saw the sign. I think they were open for fifty or more years,only fished there once as a young child with my paternal grand parents .
On the fishing front Toronto reservoir looks a little low still water around the Iroquois sport club docks. Next time I'm in the area will check the access area at end of Muscoe road . Hopefully water level is higher then in years past still a haul to main part of reservoir but easier to pull gear on ice or ice and a little snow.
Steve

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Must have driven past Toronto Res. a hundred times but never fished it.  Is it worth the effort??  How far is the pull from the access site to decent fishable water??

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Roger the access site is by where the creek from Black Lake feeds into the res. so I would stay towards the right shoreline walking out to main section. I do not think this area is that deep maybe ten feet in spots. I'm not the best at judging distances but it at least a quarter to half mile walk to main section of res. I have only fished Toronto once when there was access to the dam area caught a few bluegills nothing to brag about your buddy John should talk to other locals and get their opinions. The state record chain pickerel may still come from Toronto the fish was caught back in 1965 and weighed 8lbs. and 9 ounces if my memory is correct. One section of the res. was and may still be private for the use of Iroquois sports club members at one time it was marked off with buoys.
Steve

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
nice to see some talk about the ice  I can't wait ...I am starting to get the gear ready a wheeler this year will help ...
boss jigs I have used your jigs ... I have caught everything on them some huge bass in sodus bay last year at the ice pro am..
perch & crappies just about everything ... :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I was in Gander Mountain and reserved the Lodge for 12/14/2013 from 2:00 pm til 6:00 pm .  PS the ice guide is in at that location .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Ditto on the In-Fisherman 2014 Ice Guide about 6 copies left on the magazine rack when I was there earlier today hopefully they have more in storage.
I was in Sullivan county this afternoon stopped by the access spot for Toronto Reservoir at end of Muscoe rd.(off of rt.55) if water level does not drop dramatically should be able to get out from this spot. Also to revise my distance estimate on length of hike to main body of reservoir to one half mile or longer.
Steve

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Steve;  Thanks for the update re: Toronto Res.  Unfortunately, my 71 year old bones are not up for a 1/2 mile hike anymore, so I think I'll stick to some smaller bodies of water.  When you're in your 30's and 40's you never think a 1/2 mile hike can slow you down!!  Tke heed guys..... you're ALL in for a rude awakening some day !!!   LOLOL

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
We used to put my friends grandfather into our sled and pull him out with the rest of the gear.   We took him fishing till he fell out of a tree deer hunting at 84, and bruised his ribs. (That was the beginning of the end for him).
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Roger I'm only in my early fifties but know what you are talking about also do not want to get clothes soaked from sweat in cold weather and increase chance of getting hypothermia.
Steve

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Mr clean thanks for the info I went to the gander & pick up the infisherman ice guide...
images.jpeg

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I'm 52, and 1/2 mile is not that bad, if the snow isn't deep. I keep myself in shape, so it does kill me dragging a sled out there. I rode a lot of miles on my road bike this year, including a 63 mile ride, to keep in shape.  ;D

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
OK well then pooley can drag out everyones gear, hes in such good shape! thanks pooley... lol
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Dewey your welcome nice to be able to pay it forward as the saying goes enjoy the magazine. Pooley I should follow your example and start taking daily walks or dig out my old bicycle. Also know you need to stay in shape to do your volunteer fire fighting.
Steve

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
You dont need a truck to go ice fishing, unless you want your stuff stolen out of the back while your at the pub having "dinner". My fish trap pro slides fully loaded right into my low bumper, tire studded, tank of a subaru impreza. Sure your truck with a cap may deter thievery,, but its not climate controlled and everything stays frozen. In the hatchback it warms up, dries out, ice chunks arent still clinging on next time out. Hell, i've even left bait in there overnight no problemo. And did i mention 24 mpg average highway/sport driving the twisties?  Yes, I have gone through my truck stage, but this is what works for me now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.