Author Topic: Flourocarbon Breaking???  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
Flourocarbon Breaking???
« on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:21 PM »
Lately I've been retying my trout leaders for tipups with 6lb Berkley Vanish. They are about 3ft with either a treble connected with a polamar knot or a single hook snelled directly to the leader. I always pull on my knots after tying them to check for strength. On a couple of occasions the snell would break with minimal pressure so I went back to check the loop knot that I tie on end of the leader that is connected to the snap swivel on the main tipup line and that would break VERY easily. To tie this loop I used a double overhand loop. This is very depressing because I spent considerable time on these leaders. The polamar knot seems to be holding to the treble hooks well (I will have to check them better), but the snell and the loop knot especially are breaking uncomfortably easy. I have read before that flouro is no good if it has any nicks in it. It could very well be that the knots are pinching itself causing the breaks, but I'm no flourocarbon expert. Could it be that I am just pulling to hard when I check the knot or am I using the wrong knot to tie my loops. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! Tight Lines

???Fishinut ???
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Berkley Vanish Sucks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:36 PM »
The Berkley Vanish is your problem. I have tried that stuff and it sucks really bad. It has horrible knot strength. It will break very easily with any knot. I use seagaur fluorocarbon. Just make sure you get the leader material and not the castable kind of fluoro. The castable kind is much weaker.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline pkevinb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Flourocarbon Breaking???
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:09 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that a loop knot is the worst not to use for flurocarbon, that it fails very often.  I try to use a Palomar knot whenever I can.

GatorSlayer

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2003, 10:59 PM »
I use the regular trilene knot of 14 lb Vanish and have never had a knot fail on me in the two years I have been using it. I get bitten off before a knot snaps or slips. I have landed quite a few 10-12 lb pike on these leaders and countless over 5 lbs.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2003, 03:42 PM »
Today I started resnelling my single hooks. They are size 8 and 10. I used 6lb Trilene XT. What do you think about this line for trout and panfish? The knot strength is far greater than that of the flouro, and all the knots held extremly well. So I am pleased with that. Tommorow i will start retying the leaders with the treble hooks. Should I continue to use the mono and same # test or should I change something? Any thoughts on these leaders for trout/panfish would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - fishinut
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline gudkatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2003, 01:19 PM »
When I flyfish for steelhead I fish a tapered  3X mono leader and tie my flourocarbon tippit to it with a blood knot.  I ALWAYS moisten it befor I tighten It down.  I use both the Vanish and Segar and they always tighten very strangly.  It seems like the flourocarbon doesnt tighten smoothly.  The knots look like crap.   Sometimes I have to retie it a couple of times(blood knots in the cold suck).  Problems like we experience may just have to do with the properties of flourocarbon.
If a dog is man's best friend then a fish has to be man's best chum!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2003, 08:25 PM »
Another flyfisher who uses flouro almost exclusively for tippets.(last link from leader to hook). No refuting the fish don't see it as easily, usually you can go at least one size heavier than conventional mono. The knots can be tricky;as mentioned  above wetting is mandatory, as is smooth tightening. I take one less turn on an improved clinch, and then check carefully. Don't lose many due to bad knots, but often have to retie.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2003, 05:15 PM »
Definitely ditto the moisten part and snug knots slowly and carefully or you might as well re-tie.I do re-tie often but I always have,good practice and I catch alot of fish so I should be re-tying pften. Improved clinch is all I use with mono and have not had a knot fail yet.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.