Author Topic: Older flashers  (Read 2230 times)

Offline channelcatben

• IceShanty Rookie
Older flashers
« on: Nov 04, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Hi all. I'm pretty new to the ice fishing game. Last year I used my open water lcd finder for fishing, and it worked okay, to a point. Better than nothing, anyhow. I've heard (and read, and saw on TV) that flashers are far superior units for ice fishing, and I'm looking into getting one. Unfortunately, that purchase will not be within my budget this year. Or next year, most likely.

I've been looking around on auction and classified ad sites, and have seen a whole bunch of older flashers that I could afford this year. The old-school Lowrance green box, the Humminbird super 60, and other different brands are available at decent (or at least affordable) prices.

I'm wondering (since I don't know a whole lot about flashers) if any of these older flashers would be worth getting. Would, say, an old portable lowrance be worth up to $50? Or would I just be wasting money that I could be saving up for a new Marcum or Vex in a couple years? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good older unit?
\"If everybody\'s thinking alike, then somebody\'s not thinking.\" - G.S. Patton

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
Re: Older flashers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2008, 05:34 PM »
An older model Zercom might fill the bill.Little bit tricky trying to find one though.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2008, 05:39 PM »
I use an lcd and have no problem understanding the fish with it.  My $100 eagle model has served me well for the past 4 years and still works like new. Really have no reason to shell out the $ for a flasher.

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2008, 10:00 AM »
I would save my pennies and wait to get one of the newer models if at all possible. I had an older model Humm Super 60 and although it marked things clear enough the seperation was about 12" on it. This means I had to lift my hook at least 12" off the bottom and fish had to be at least 12" a part to show seperation. Most of my ice fishing is for walleye so a 12" seperation was not that great, at least compared to the new models. I have a Marcum but I don't really thinks it makes a difference if you get a Marcum, Vexilar, (New Humminbird not proven yet so won't comment) Don't get hung up on Manufacturer names look at the features the units have and select the unit that has the features you will use most.To me personally the most important feature is the bottom zoom, and the VX-1 has that feature and was reasonably priced. Bottom zoom is invaluable if you are a walleye fisherman IMO.
So many new things come out in fishing every year (although flashers are hardly new), some are great, some are junk and some are just ok. I must admit that my flasher has been one of the most dependable pieces of fishing equipment I own, I never even consider the fact that it may not work (always charge my battery first), or freeze up, or need a new software upgrade, or a new transducer,works in bright sunlight, total darkness........etc. No real bells and whistles on it, just does what it is suppose to do, everytime, all the time. I think this also has a lot to do with why they are so popular.
I gotta chubby

Offline channelcatben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Cool, thanks. I'll probably stick with the ol' Cuda 128 for this year. I plan on winning the lottery in January, though, so I might be able to get a newer one then. ;D
\"If everybody\'s thinking alike, then somebody\'s not thinking.\" - G.S. Patton

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:36 PM »
I've used a Humminbird super 30 flasher forever and it does the trick. I can read through the ice when I,m locating my spots and then I set it up in my fishing hole. My flasher is able to pick up my jig on the signal and you can even see the action of the minnow by the size and flutter of that signal. I have used the same flasher for over 20 years with the only modification being the closed cell battery and a new transducer. I do own a couple of these that I would part with to help you out. I have (1)-lowrance loc-a-tor, (1)- orig humminbird 60 w/metal box (2)-Hummingbird birdtraps w/yellow plastic box. I even have a camera set up that I fabricated in a matching birdtrap yellow box. Let me know if anything I have could help you out

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2008, 06:14 AM »
One of the older units I have that I still like is my Zercom RTS.  They're out of business now, but you can still find them used once in awhile.  Gray scale display, vertical style like the newer Showdown I think it's called.  Actually, I feel it gives a more accurate display of the water column in that you're looking at it vertically, not as a dial.  Sure, I love my Marcum, but the RTS still helped me catch fish. 

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2008, 02:24 PM »
I know dad has two old green boxes(Lowrance) sitting in the shed. I should get one out and see if they still work.  Be cool to catch fish on them.  Now don't think I'm crazy, I'm not going to replace my vex with one of them! HA HA HA!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.