Author Topic: Any ice around Alton ?  (Read 555 times)

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any ice around Alton ?
« on: Jan 09, 2015, 11:36 AM »
From NY and we are traveling for work, staying in Alton and don't really know how ice works in the west but I was wondering if you guys had any good advise on any spots in he area thanks!

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
Re: Any ice around Alton ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2015, 12:25 PM »
Bass,

I have not ventured out in the area yet, but I am planning to fish Beaver Dam State Park on Sunday if the predicted freezing rain threat is reduced. I am expecting to see around 4" of clear ice, if not more. The lake is about 35 mins from Alton (headed NE), is about 50 acres in size, has a decent panfish population (according to IDNR 2013 report), and also has stocked trout. That would be my recommendation if you did not want to travel very far.

tight lines,

Jeff

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Thank you ! Doing a roof out there and I am assuming we will have more off to line than on time with the weather you guys are getting. Figured I would pack my auger and a couple jiggin rods. Been a good start to the year out here already some spots we got over 6 inches and action all day just gunna miss out on some good fishing for two weeks and I don't know if I could wait that long to drop a line in he water!

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:43 PM »
This weekend and coming week (through Friday) looks favorable for building more ice, but temps are forecast in the mid 40s after that. This is the latitude where you have to get on the ice when it's safe since the weather may warm or get rainy and the season may be short. I bet you are missing the Perch fishing in NY! Good on ya' for preparing for days off and packing the ice gear!

tight lines,

Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.