The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: First trip out.  (Read 344 times)

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
First trip out.
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Well finally made it out on the ice today up on mitchells. I have never been there before so I was not really expecting to do well.  Suprisingly we kept 48 crappies and 2 gills. They were not huge by any means 7.5-13.75 inches. I would say they averaged around 9.-9.5.  Under normal circumstances I would have thrown those smaller ones back but I was craving a fish fry and my buddy has never caught panfish through the ice so he just wanted to keep his limit.  Pike fishing was pretty slow though, we also caught 4 small walleye and 4 small pike along with several other misses.  For a first time being out I had a great time and I look forward to making another trip up this year and maybe stay for a couple days.  Hopefully checking some smaller bodies of water around grand rapids and getting out friday before the heat wave comes in next week.

Justin

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
Re: First trip out.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Sounds like hell of a first outing and nothing wrong with filling a limit with a couple 7-8 inch crappies... I've done it as long as they don't go to waste... I've always said when having a fish fry those crispy small pieces get grabbed 1st anyway

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I don't know, a 13.75 in crappie is pretty close to huge in my book.  Good job!  Musta been fun. 

Offline luckyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:21 PM »
The smaller ones do get crispy and taste! Truthfully I'd rather take a 7-8 inch crappie off the plate on the dinner table than that big mushy slab! Just my opinion though!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.