Author Topic: New NHL, excuse my rant but I have had enough!  (Read 5694 times)

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New NHL, excuse my rant but I have had enough!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 21, 2006, 01:54 PM »

Gary Bettman is a dope.  My 2 problems with NHL are simple. Letting the Canadien teams like Winnepeg and Quebec close shop and move to the U.S. was stupid. I know the Canadien dollar is stronger now than it was than, but the league should have stepped up to the plate and helped keep the teams in Canada. Other than Montreal and Toronto, I don't think the league gives a rats ass if any team stays in Canada.And putting teams in citys that DO NOT deserve teams( Tampa Bay, Florida, Atlanta, Columbus , Phoenix, Anahiem) is a joke. Those are some real hockey hotbeds that now have teams. Didn't Atlanta lose a team before because no one went to the games. Might as well give them another team. Should of put a team back in Quebec or Winnepeg before Atlanta. Stop expanding, the league is so diluted now the product stinks.Hope some day the people of Winnepeg and Quebec get a team back. Get rid of all the teams above and help the teams in Canada stay where they belong. Hockey is Canadas game,it's their national sport and  they LOVE it.Teams and fans from the great white north are vital to the health of the NHL. Now for my other beef. Get rid of the Europeans. Sure they are talented, but play a very dirty style of hockey. Fighting is banned in international hockey, so they use their sticks as weapons. Players like Ulf Sammuelson and Darious Kasparitious are nothing but thugs. They slash, spear, hit from behind and go for your knees all game long. When time comes for payback, they turtle like card carrying members of the National Orginazation of Woman. And they wear visors. If the NHL insist on having European players in the league, outlaw the visor. The stick work will go down, they will think twice about playing that style of game. I just miss the time when men were men, and problems were solved with a fistfight, rather than a two handed slash across a players wrist. And put some hitting back in the game, it's to much of a finesse game now. JMO   

Just ask Cam Neeley about Ulf!  So nice to see Cam beat the crap out of him!

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2006, 02:19 PM »
I've been a Flyers fan all my life!!!  In my opinion, If there isn't blood stains on the ice, The game isn't started yet. It's getting to the point that I want to watch the women play just to get a glimpse of a fight, hoping it will happen.
     I think the olympics are better off to have the college players represent the country. I think it would mean more to them. The pro's just dont seem to care, maybe because they aren't getting paid for the games. I think that for sure, the NHL needs to let the players go earlier to practice with the rest of the olympic team so they dont look so pittiful. Just my thoughts,
                                                                              JK

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:24 PM »
The topic was the rule changes. It I feel was done to make the game more marketable.
 I am a sabres fans and like to watch the speed. I hated the trap and all the hooking and mugging going on.
I still feel you need fights and the instigator penalty stinks.

Hey not a loafs fan but nobody mentioned Tie Domi. especially the Canadians
He would beat ya sensless and score a goal. Injury to Insult!!!!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:59 PM »
And here I thought us fishermen were a calm bunch of folks.....I used to like to see a good fisticuff on the ice, but now, some of those clowns just run out there and throw the gloves down for reasons that escape most.  I have two young boys, one of which plays Bantam level hockey, and to tell the truth, its kind of sad when in the midst of a good game with good sportsmanship, some numby comes in the game and throws a cheapshot and starts a fight.  And why do they do that??cause they see it in the big leagues.  Then some 13 year old gets suspended for a couple games.  So for me, keep the great hits, the clean shots, the legal checks, ....the more the merrier, but get rid of the idiots who just skate out there and flip off their gloves.  They are setting a bad example.  I live in the Wash DC area and watching Ovechkin is a real treat.  Talk about a talent, and not afraid to run someone over either.  Perchnut out.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2006, 04:08 PM »
And here I thought us fishermen were a calm bunch of folks.....I used to like to see a good fisticuff on the ice, but now, some of those clowns just run out there and throw the gloves down for reasons that escape most.  I have two young boys, one of which plays Bantam level hockey, and to tell the truth, its kind of sad when in the midst of a good game with good sportsmanship, some numby comes in the game and throws a cheapshot and starts a fight.  And why do they do that??cause they see it in the big leagues.  Then some 13 year old gets suspended for a couple games.  So for me, keep the great hits, the clean shots, the legal checks, ....the more the merrier, but get rid of the idiots who just skate out there and flip off their gloves.  They are setting a bad example.  I live in the Wash DC area and watching Ovechkin is a real treat.  Talk about a talent, and not afraid to run someone over either.  Perchnut out.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see a good game without the idiots... I played from mighty mite all the way through college.  Granted it was div three  :whistle: but as far as the NHL rule changes the instigator rule has to go along with the refs calling too much hooking.

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2006, 04:58 PM »
Lanny Mcdonald played many good years with Darryl Sittler on the leafs before Calgary.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:04 PM »
I love the new rule changes. The game before wasn't hockey at all, all the grabbing that went on is BS. If you can't keep up to the other guy skating away you shouldn't be allowed to wrap your stick around him and go for a ride. I'm all for big hits and fights but none of the clutching and grabbing crap. When I played in a leauge competitvely,  I was better than most guys and would skate around them and all of a sudden a stick would be around my midsection and I couldn't move.

The only rules I don't like is the ones that are pushing fighting out though, less dirty cheap shots would happen if they would just fight and finish it right there. I didn't go out looking for fights but if someone wanted to I'd give it to 'em, I don't know why they ever wanted to, I was the biggest guy out there by far and fed it to every guy who ever came after me. I even knocked a couple guys out cold by way of good clean open ice checks when I was in Bantam, nobody from those teams came after me. ;D Don't get me wrong though I wasn't a goon and never started a fight. I was probably one of of the top players in the league and the biggest at 6'5. But then first year midget I snapped my collarbone in two and my budding career was over and I was off to the beer leagues.  ;D
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline HomerJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:24 PM »
You guys are forgeting the point of the new rules. Too get more fans because the sport was dying.  So you would rather just watch 3 more years of the old school hockey and then no more.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #38 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:51 PM »
You guys are forgeting the point of the new rules. Too get more fans because the sport was dying.  So you would rather just watch 3 more years of the old school hockey and then no more.
I realized the point of the rules concerning clutching and grabbing, all that crap just slows the game down. I rarely watched hockey for the past 8 years or so. I've watched tons this year and love it.

However I don't agree with the rules that make fighting a huge crime, it wasn't a problem before so why try and fix it.

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2006, 02:43 AM »
Did not remember that Grimace! Some guys let their long hair flow in the wind, but Lanny let his long red mustache and beard flow, lol

The league was not going to die out, it might have retracted back to the loyalist, Canada and the few established long haul American teams, Blues, Chicago, Detroit, etc. But was in no way going to die.

Too many Europeans, yes I think so, but what can you do? Ultimately though it is a man getting paid to do a job. How would it be in your profession if it was about half replaced by Euros?

Won every fight? Well, weren't doing much fightin then. If your a fighting, no matter how good you are, your going to get it handed to ya sometimes. Thats just the way it goes.

I do not have to have a fight to enjoy a good game, but the fact of their being the chance.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2006, 10:35 AM »
There was nothing wrong??? games were 1 goal games faught in between the lines, little movement.
I like the free wheeling and skate of europena hockey but also like out smaller rinks and the physical game.

Is there a compromise?, or one or the other? fast game less physical play?
Yes the european influence has positives and negatives.
Kinda a bummer watching the old game when a guy would throw thew jets on and start to get by a defense men and all of a sudden hook-slow-play.
many issues going on here, the first was the rule changes!!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:04 PM »
I was refering to the "problem" of fighting in my previous post, there was definitely problems with other aspects of the game but IMO fighting wasn't part of it.

Swede I agree you're going to lose some fights every once in a while but you would have had to see me at that age compared to the rest of the league, sort of a freak of nature. I also didn't look for fights, if someone came looking for it I'd go but I never went out to fight someone.

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:27 PM »
No North American team going for the gold.  :%$#!:

Honestly, does America and Canada just not give a rats arse about the Olympics anymore? If not, get rid of the NHL players, let the other guys play. If we go down, at least we will be swinging and have nothing to hang our heads about. The Americans played like they were actually annoyed just to be there. At least Canada's gals took gold and Wikenhizers spelling?- sister played great.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2006, 07:09 PM »
The Olympics have been great to watch.  I guess it's not that easy to score on the 200' x 100' compared to the NHL 200' x 85'.  Just ask Team Canada and Team USA.  I have to admit I wasn't too big on new rule changes but I'm starting to come around.  But PLEASE no shoot outs!  How can you have two teams play 65' of real hockey only for the game to be decided by breakaways? 

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #44 on: Feb 25, 2006, 09:05 PM »
  But PLEASE no shoot outs!  How can you have two teams play 65' of real hockey only for the game to be decided by breakaways? 
Agreed!!!!!!!!
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

billybono

« Reply #45 on: Feb 25, 2006, 09:13 PM »
Agreed!!!!!!!!

absolutley... i HATE shootouts deciding games

pros should not be in the olympics.... i dont watch those games

ive been an islanders fan all my life, but we have some LAZY players this year  ::)....but there were 4 years when we were the greatest pro team on ice  ;)

billybono

billybono

« Reply #46 on: Feb 25, 2006, 10:32 PM »
want to see some good hockey.... its on hd net right now.. the labatt blue us pond hockey championship ;)

billybono

Offline HomerJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 08, 2006, 09:53 AM »
However I don't agree with the rules that make fighting a huge crime, it wasn't a problem before so why try and fix it.

yeah the instigator rule does suck.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 08, 2006, 07:59 PM »
This just in...

Montreal traded Jose Theadore to the Avalanche for David Abisher.

It was only 10 years ago, an All Star french Goalie playing the worst hockey of his career, was traded to the Avalanche, from Montreal, and went on to win the Stanley Cup! :woot:
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.