Author Topic: Interesting maggot fact!  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Interesting maggot fact!
« on: Dec 26, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Not sure how many know this,not sure you want to know,but still interesting.A maggot is a flesh eating machine,devouring a host in days.What ever a maggot eats is what flavor a maggot itself will be,ex,if a maggot is eating beef it will taste like beef.If a maggot eats possum,it will taste like possum and so on.Perhaps fish would prefer certain flavors in maggots,making some maggots better than others.I don't know if it's feasible to test this on fish,but I do know for a fact that maggots taste like what they have been eating........Don't ask me how I know,but if you don't believe me there is one way to find out. :woot:

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Interesting maggot fact!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:04 PM »
 :cookoo: :wacko: :sick: :wacko: :cookoo:

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:15 PM »
it sounds fishy to me.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:15 PM »
If you read most bait places if buy bulk bait they usually feed their maggots fish so I'm guessing they will taste like fish.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:19 PM »
when i put them in my mouth they taste like crapola. a new kind of fish, i guess.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Maggots eat carrion however, there are a few species that do eat living flesh.  Some of those that eat living flesh can get quite large.  I took some photos of a species that is found most often in rodents (mice, rabbits etc.).  The larvae were about 1 inch long and about 3/8 of an inch thick.  However, the holes where they exited the rodent were about the diameter of a pencil.  The rodent was dying and the larvae were working their way out of their host.  I wanted to keep the 2 specimens that I had collected from the same mouse but my wife did not want them in the house....lol.  The larvae were in each thigh of the mouse.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:21 PM »
when i put them in my mouth they taste like crapola. a new kind of fish, i guess.

This made me laugh out loud  :roflmao:

What if they ate maggots, would fish still like them?  But then, the maggots would be cannibalistic, and you'd have to use them up before they'd eat each other up... er... wait...  :wacko:   :whistle:
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline kl3377

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I always thought they tasted like chicken. ;D
A watched lake never freezes.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:24 PM »
i do it so they dont get cold. doesnt everyone take care of there bait.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:28 PM »
Maggots eat carrion however, there are a few species that do eat living flesh.  Some of those that eat living flesh can get quite large.  I took some photos of a species that is found most often in rodents (mice, rabbits etc.).  The larvae were about 1 inch long and about 3/8 of an inch thick.  However, the holes where they exited the rodent were about the diameter of a pencil.  The rodent was dying and the larvae were working their way out of their host.  I wanted to keep the 2 specimens that I had collected from the same mouse but my wife did not want them in the house....lol.  The larvae were in each thigh of the mouse.

that sounds more like a bot fly (Oestridae are a family of flies variously known as bot flies, warble flies, heel flies, gadflies and similar names) 

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:46 PM »
The unscientific name for those are warbles.The fly lays eggs in host nest,they hatch and enter most often through the nose or mouth of the host,eating their way to the surface just under the skin.They poke a breathing hole through the skin,stay there untill the time comes to exit the host,enter the ground and hatch into a fly,beginning the cycle again.We call the flys horse flys around here!
They are not horse flys though,folks call them that cause of their size

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:49 PM »
cats pick them up on occasion.

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:02 PM »
Anyone try to grow their own Maggots ? Right around this time of the year I start thinking about growing some.  ::)  I guess next summer  ;D

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:10 PM »
I will take your word on that ???
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:30 PM »
I pulled one out of one of our kittens last spring (named the cat "Maggie") grabbed the pole and ran down the the stream and caught a wild Brookie on it.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2012, 04:14 PM »
I pulled one out of one of our kittens last spring (named the cat "Maggie") grabbed the pole and ran down the the stream and caught a wild Brookie on it.

Now that is smart thinking

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2012, 04:28 PM »
Last i read of colored maggots(euro larva for the pink cheeked) they were fed dyed turkey meat.
They generate an ammonia of sorts,to stay "clean". Yumm.
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Dont know if they are the same kind of maggots but in severe cases of infection maggots are used to eat the dead flesh off your leg or arm or whereever the infection is.  Dont know if I want them knawing on me or not!!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Pretty smart,did you think about fishing with the worm also? :whistle:

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Mmmm mmm all this maggot talk has got me awful hungry. Too bad it's winter, I would go look through the trash and maybe boil up a soup.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:54 PM »
The typical fly used for fishing maggots is the blue bottle. They're nice a large. The Bot/Warble fly can be found in lots of live stock and other critters. They are considered a "perfect" parasite, as they don't kill their hosts!! Although the process is disgusting and gross (this huge maggot-nearly as large as the end of your little finger) lives and matures in and equally huge pocket under the skin (I've seen these things in mice, and they were as large as the mouses head!!) When they mature and leave their host, the cavity and opening heal up without infection!!! Cows and horses have them all the time. Blue bottles maggots are use frequently to debride wounds, particularly deep "bed sore" ulcers. They only eat the dead tissue and as mentioned earlier, produce a very clean environment to live in. Once they have consumed all the food they need, they crawl out of the wound to pupate and turn into the adult!!! The other night I saw a video of a guy that had some type of scalp would on the left side of his head. Flies got in there, laid eggs, and the entire side of his head, and even under the skin of his forehead, were filled with maggots.........and the guy was alive......as he was trying to keep the maggots out of his ears! They were falling off his head like it was snowing!!! Talk about gross........I always wonder how his condition got that bad in the first place!!!

Now, how about we discuss the use of leeches in reattaching severed fingers????????

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:51 PM »
i do it so they dont get cold. doesnt everyone take care of there bait.

Naw, not poking fun of the practice because I've heard of folks doing that to keep their bait lively.  I don't though (yuk).  But what struck me as funny was your reference to them tasting like crapola...a new kind of fish...  Just sounded funny and made me laugh while thinking of crappie.  And, when it comes to ice fishing, the only crapola that I catch comes from my wife  ;D ;D ;D
Kevin Wilson

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:55 PM »
Let's feed wax worms to maggots.... super bait! :o

Offline beeverfishingscatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • HARDWATER CHICK :)
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2012, 11:00 AM »
:cookoo: :wacko: :sick: :wacko: :cookoo:

ok someone plz tell me that this is NOT a common practice bc ummm i just may have to rethink this whole ice fishin business if so....all i can say is EEEEEEEWWWWWW.....ok im better now...touching them still not that stellar about but i can and will putting them in my mouth ummmmm NO WAY....
one old fisherman's catch of a lifetime ;) 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>   HERE FISHY FISHY FISHY

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:33 PM »
ok someone plz tell me that this is NOT a common practice bc ummm i just may have to rethink this whole ice fishin business if so....all i can say is EEEEEEEWWWWWW.....ok im better now...touching them still not that stellar about but i can and will putting them in my mouth ummmmm NO WAY....
Yeah it's the right of passage,you have to put enough in your mouth and hold them untill one crawls out your nose. :roflmao:

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2012, 02:12 PM »
This is why I can't take my mother-in-law any more. She likes thier taste and eats up all my bait!!  ;D ;D :blink:
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2012, 02:32 PM »
MMMMMMM.
Master Laker taker.

Offline beeverfishingscatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • HARDWATER CHICK :)
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Yeah it's the right of passage,you have to put enough in your mouth and hold them untill one crawls out your nose. :roflmao:
that is sooooooooooooo not right.....but funny....i love this stuff ....
one old fisherman's catch of a lifetime ;) 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>   HERE FISHY FISHY FISHY

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2012, 04:03 PM »
I will take your word on that ???
I did kinda, I had two turkey wings that I put outside on purpose to let the fly's lay there eggs and let the maggots eat the remaining flesh so I could use the feathers for fly tying ,My wife loves me. ;D

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2012, 04:28 PM »
This is why I can't take my mother-in-law any more. She likes thier taste and eats up all my bait!!  ;D ;D :blink:

Good one Art!   ;D ;D ;D  :roflmao:

True story:  I have on fishing buddy that had a few of them crawling around in his beard one day.  Apparently, he was wearing wool gloves and when he was re-baiting his jig, some stuck to his glove.  Then he must have had an itch and scratched it, giving his spikes a new home!  The funny thing was that he didn't know that they were there, and we kept quiet, giggling all day long every time he came near us!  We eventually told him.  There must have been four or five of them in there.  Who knows, maybe more?   ;D
Kevin Wilson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.