Author Topic: A bit depressed  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A bit depressed
« Reply #30 on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:31 AM »
A wee bit of hope today. a good 2mm of ice. I am going back to town for new years but will be back in a couple of days. Let's hope that we can build on this before we warm up again.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #31 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Smoked ones arent quite common here too, but warming with wood are.Allmost every house have electic sauna like us at home inside and wooden at summercottage. I mysef warm sauna allmost every day.
Btw even every rental apartmet have own shared sauna witch can reserve at own use.  ;)

Piatu--Most cottage/cabin saunas are separate structures and wood fired (with chimney) and that is what I was introduced to when dating my wife 24 years ago.  Her parent's wood sauna was fired on Saturday morning and late Saturday afternoons and evenings were bath night.  First the men then the women...don't know if that's the case in Soumi or not though.  When we moved back up here in 2005 our house came with an electric fired sauna in the basement.  While the electric didn't have the ritual of the wood fired, it certainly was more convenient.  When I was leaving the ice from fishing or woods from hunting, I would call my wife to heat the sauna.  By the time I got home it was all set to warm me up.  I even let my setters (hunting dogs) up on the top bench for a few minutes after our hunts to warm their bones a bit before I went crazy with the loyly.

Regarding smoke saunas, it was my understanding these were typically reserved for special days such as Midsummer, Christmas, New Years, Easter, etc. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://myworld.ebay.com/piatu/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
« Reply #32 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:16 PM »
You're right. Allways womens and mens goes diffret time, but if they all are same family (men, wife, kids) in same time.

But..If you sometime came to finland, alone or with your family...i have  warm sauna and place to sleep over night ...maybe some beers too ;)

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:37 PM »
We're rooting for ya Catfish and enjoy your New Years.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:29 PM »
You're right. Allways womens and mens goes diffret time, but if they all are same family (men, wife, kids) in same time.

But..If you sometime came to finland, alone or with your family...i have  warm sauna and place to sleep over night ...maybe some beers too ;)
At some point my wife and I would love to make it over.  If so, I'll let you know, fire the sauna...the saunamakkara and kijlu/aktavite/vodka would be on me.  Unfortunately though, I would have to apologize in advance as I have never developed a taste for coffee. 

BTW, my wife's maternal family name is Kalunkki (she's of Sami decent)/Kalungi (Americanized) and her paternal family name is Peltomaa. 
Chris Raymond

Offline happytroller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:38 PM »
hang in there catfish i just got a clam ice tent cant wait to try it out but here in pa we have no ice eather hoping for cold weather.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:47 PM »
Last year at this time I was on the ice already for a month :'( can't wait for the ice!
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.