Author Topic: JM Dead Meat?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
JM Dead Meat?
« on: Nov 20, 2020, 08:53 AM »
I’m looking for a pair of 36” rods primarily for dead sticking crappie. The Dead Meat rods seem like a popular choice for this application. But, are they also a serviceable jigging rod for tungsten and small spoons? I’m not very patient, and absent a hot minnow bite, I will eventually resort to using one for jigging. Finally, how do they handle the occasional larger fish (we get a lot of cats on crappie minnows).

Thanks,
Mark

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: JM Dead Meat?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:09 AM »
I got one when they first came out, so I think that makes it 2 seasons now(?) I don't do a lot of dead sticking, but when I do, it's for crappies. Works well for me, I have the 28", I'm sure the 36" would work even better for what you are talking about.

When it comes to jigging, I used it a ton, it was my main rod all of last season for sure. 4mm and 5mm tungstens, and small spoons, its perfect for that. I have caught the occasional bass and the rod handled it no problem. No trophy size fish, but 14"-16" bass are a pretty good test for a rod like that. For sure it's a "see the bite" rather than a "feel the bite" rod, but it does transmit some feel, even with 3lb mono I can feel bluegill pecks here and there, but you'd want to rely more on watching that tip more than anything on this rod.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Ended up getting the 32" JM Dead Meat rod last year and used it for walleye and crappie.  Its a medium weight rod with a fast tip.  This was my dead stick choice.  Ended up getting walleye with this rod on this method.  The tip is responsive enough to see the bite and the backbone to land the fish.  When I switched to crappie, this rod was used for the lighter spoons while jigging.  Really liked it this way.  I haven't tried it with the tungsten jigs as I tend to use the lighter weight rods for this (Ticklesticks). 

Liked the rod enough that I ended up buying another one.  This way I can have the deadstick setup and the new one will be for the spoon jigs.  Yah, I would say I recommend this rod setup.   
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Thanks! Exactly the type of feed-back I was hoping to receive, and I will be ordered two today.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2020, 11:16 AM »
i bought a dead meat last year.  i ended up selling it but i really liked it.  it was just longer than what i needed it for but would recommend it for your application.

Offline bassh8er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Was excited about them but think the Meatstick is much better for jigging and sensitivity.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2020, 09:12 PM »
Was excited about them but think the Meatstick is much better for jigging and sensitivity.

the only difference between the Dead Meat and the Meat stick is the guides. the Dead Meat runs larger size guides and was design to be used when out hole hopping. the larger guides ice up less then the guides on the meat stick. If you fish only in a heated house then the Meat Stick is the way to go.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2020, 09:47 PM »
the only difference between the Dead Meat and the Meat stick is the guides. the Dead Meat runs larger size guides and was design to be used when out hole hopping. the larger guides ice up less then the guides on the meat stick. If you fish only in a heated house then the Meat Stick is the way to go.

I've compared them side by side, and found the only difference is the guides like mentioned above. 

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2020, 12:18 PM »
I gave the 36” Dead Meat stick a work-out from the kayak (no ice in Ohio), and I really like the rod. I was vertical jigging with a 5mm tungsten and plastic, and fished the DMS alongside a 30” TUCR Bullwhip. The DMS has a less sensitive tip than the Bullwhip, but I was still able to see a light crappie up bite on the DMS. The DMS has a faster tip, and that really seemed to help with getting a solid hookset. Not sure that I would use this rod with anything lighter than 4mm, but I’m confident that it will be a fine jigging rod for lures over 1/16oz.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Have you ever thought about using a jigging rod in a tip down - then you don't have to compromise when taking that rod off the tipdown and jigging with it vs jigging with a dead stick rod? Just a thought.

Catchin' Fish

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2020, 01:14 PM »
I had NOT thought about using a tip down, and that makes a lot of sense.

However, I’m very fond of my jigging rods. For me, dead sticking is “social” fishing…..when equipment durability and even equipment accountability can be pushed to the limits by the end of the night. The DMS seems like it will be durable enough, and I hope to do some extensive on ice testing soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.