Author Topic: Ot: Since there isnt any ice, I have many open water questions.  (Read 1824 times)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Since there isnt much ice, ive got a few open water questions.

1. Do any of you fish on jet ski's? I know the  new ones are very quiet, yet sturdy and quick. They dont rock at all so would they be good for fishing on? I have a new jetski and just thought of fishing on it!

2. Do they make any accessories for jetski's for fishing? Any rod holders or tackle clips, anything at all?

3. Has anyone ever used the Norman Speed Clips? you can find them at bass pro shop if you dont know what i mean.

4. Anyone ever fish with the Live Sammy or Lucky Craft Hardbait crankbaits? They look really nice with about 6 sections on the back, but for 15-20 a lure? Worth it?

5. Does anyone use Lowrance M68C S/MAP for open water or hard? Are they worth the 350-400?

6. Looking for some neat tips or accessories for my cousins 14' aluminum rowboat. We just throw a trolling motor on the back because the lake we fish is very small.

7. In the summer, dew sometimes builds up in my tackle boxes, and it makes my box wet, and sometimes even rusts my hooks and lures. Any tips on keeping the boxes dry?

8.How early do you start openwater fishing. The river by my house is open for about 30-40 feet off shore. When can i start trying some slow fishing, maybe even some bobber fishign?

9. On the ice, when i got to get a flag, i kneel down and get the knees of my carhartts all wet and it gets cold. I know they make the ice chaps, but does anyone have an idea or tip on a homemade chaps or something i can lay down at each hole?

10. Does anyone use glow-in-the-dark bead in open water?

11. Is it true a bit cold period is approaching, if so, how long. My area is almost all open! (I hope)

Thanks, and any help on anything would be great!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you come anywhere near me on your jet ski I will let her rip with my gatling gun 20 mm cannon!  :roflmao: Sorry jet skis can be a sore topic with some anglers.  ::)We've had bad experiences with some folks that lack manners on them. I've had my lines run over by them and almost been hit by them.

Seriously it would seem to me you would get cold quite easily. Definitely wear a wet suit but that may not be warm enough.

Don't know about your other questions. Sorry. 
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Oh yes, I do practice absolute best water manners as possible. I, too, hate when a boat whips by on my very small lake doing 60 about 25' from the aluminum boat i was talking about. I do keep in mind others thoughts. I was just thinking of this summer a little soon i guess

Offline dancingminnow

• IceShanty Rookie
9 answer

they sell butt warmer type hunting seats for pretty cheap at any sporting good store.  most of them come with straps the will attach anywhere.  they can make a good kneeling pad but i just stay off the ice.
IM OUTA HOOKS.  CAN I USE THAT ONE ON THE BRIM OF YOUR HAT?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Oh yes, I do practice absolute best water manners as possible. I, too, hate when a boat whips by on my very small lake doing 60 about 25' from the aluminum boat i was talking about. I do keep in mind others thoughts. I was just thinking of this summer a little soon i guess

Glad to hear it. I'm impressed. Sounds like your parents did a good job. If I was able to fish out of a Sea Snark styrofoam sailboat and use it like a canoe when I was young and poor, I think you could probably fish out of a jet ski.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline dancingminnow

• IceShanty Rookie
taxidermist1

i trolled for carp outa a inflateable 10 dollar raft. when i was 13 lol 8) pimpin
IM OUTA HOOKS.  CAN I USE THAT ONE ON THE BRIM OF YOUR HAT?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
taxidermist1

i trolled for carp outa a inflateable 10 dollar raft. when i was 13 lol 8) pimpin

What did you troll with for bait and did you catch any?  :woot:

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where in the heck are you guys living????  The ice is 12-14 inches thick on most of the lakes where I live! LOL!
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
Bussler15,
  Post your open water questions on myfishfinder.com.  Even though we have no ice
we still need to think cold thoughts.  And trade the jetski in on more fishing gear as
they are truly ruining our lakes.  They blow out fish beds, add to pollution, and are
like a swarm of mosquitoes where I live.  Sorry to sound like such a tool but I hate
jetskis with a passion.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
I would sell the jet ski and the small boat and go out and buy a nice Lund 16' or so fishing boat! Then you don't have to worry about accessories! And you can leave your tackle bow open when you are moving to dry it out!

grumpymoe

Re: Ot: Since there isnt any ice, I have many open water questions.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:40 AM »
no reason you cant fish from a jetski......my suggestion would be the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans....keeps everyone happy.....Grump :D

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:50 AM »
Sorry bout this guys, Just food for thought. Guess I will keep fishin from the boat.
Any help on the other questions would be great

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:51 AM »
I would sell the jet ski and the small boat and go out and buy a nice Lund 16' or so fishing boat! Then you don't have to worry about accessories! And you can leave your tackle bow open when you are moving to dry it out!

Hey Willbilly, If you have a 16' Lund all decked out that you'll trade me for a jetski and an old rowboat, I'll go buy em both now and trade ya.  ::)
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.