Author Topic: LINE down  (Read 5610 times)

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
LINE down
« on: Mar 20, 2008, 06:35 PM »
OK, I need input on some line for fishing for panfish. Looking for something that's gonna stay taught when fishing with light weight jigs. I hate it when there are still curly q's in your line when your bait is down.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LINE down
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2008, 09:00 PM »
I use 2 types of line either 4lbs P-line fluroclear (keep it fresh and changed every year).....or 3 lbs fireline crystal(takes a few fish for it to stretch out enough to be limber)....I have found that I like these but there will be lots of people with their own opinions.

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2008, 08:55 PM »
I use Power Pro line, the smallest diameter they have.  I'll have to look at the box again, but it's 8lb test in either 1 or 2lb diameter.  The stuff is real thin, so as to cut down on the visibility in the water, but is strong enough to land even large bass and pike if you play them right.  There is virtually no stretch to it, and I have never had any problems with loops, floating, etc, even when using the smallest of jigs.

It is great for open water fishing as well, and comes in many different sizes/colors.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2008, 08:58 AM »
If you just get a good quality line you shouldn't have this problem. You really get what you pay for. For softwater fishing I go with 4 lb. clear and preferably a fluorocarbon. I use a pretty forgiving graphite rod so I want minimal stretch for better hook ups.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2008, 09:05 AM »
Where do you guys pick up your line?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2008, 11:24 AM »
I try to get as much as possible from our local sporting goods store right here in Lakeview (Tamarack Sports). If they don't have what I need then I'll check out neighboring towns and their sport shops. Miejer, Wall Mart, and others like that are last resorts for me.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2008, 05:59 PM »
I get all my stuff out of Thorne Bros in Fridley MN.....But be sure you buy your line from a place that has alot of turnover. Places like Wal-mart that doesnt sell much line will have older stuff on the shelves and it will be more susceptible to coiling.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2008, 07:16 PM »
bought all the 8lb fireline Ill ever need great big roll    on ebay
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2008, 07:14 PM »
bought all the 8lb fireline Ill ever need great big roll    on ebay

Do you go thru that much line?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2008, 05:34 AM »
for me thats a lifetime suppy! 6-7000 yards

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2008, 08:35 AM »
Not concerned with line degradeing on the spool over time?

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2008, 08:38 AM »
Not concerned with line degradeing on the spool over time?

I dont buy in HUGE bulk spools like that, but if i have line I know wont get used very frequently (one reel spools worth out of a 600 yard spool) I store it in a mini fridge that doubles as a beer fridge.  Dark and cool is the way to go when it comes to storing the line.
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2008, 08:49 AM »
What about coiling?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2008, 08:54 AM »
tell ya the truth  I dont care  lol   I love to fish but am not too serious   if it breaks  then Ill cuss    never had any break actually ever  had a swivil break once almost lost a 5 lb salmon!   I dont change line yearly  tip ups  never have yet  granted I use the new tipup before the older ones  but just cant ever see any of it breaking

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2008, 09:12 AM »
I agree!....... Just like my wife says... If I am involved, It's all my fault ;D

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2008, 09:19 AM »
What about coiling?

dont do much jigging, but on open water i will take my rod to a river or stream and with no weight on let the current take all of my line.  It uncoils on its own and then I reel it  back in with a little tension... works every time, even with lines with high memory.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Trouts PCB?

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Trouts PCB?
Asking if i do this for trout??

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 24, 2008, 11:38 AM »
AHHH....YEAH

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:14 PM »
i do this for all spinning tackle, whether large or small equipment and line... if im fishing a lake or pond in open water i drag the line behind the boat at slow speeds... if definitely seems to help reduce the problem

Offline Kilroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2008, 02:24 PM »
I have had Fireline on a couple of my softwater reels for at least 5 years. I trim the frayed stuff off the front and have even spooled it on to another reel to get the good stuff to the front. I have never had that stuff break, sometimes I wish it would have. I believe it is 12# with 8# diameter. I cant vouch for the smaller pounds and diamaters, but that fireline is some tough stuff. When it is new I dont care for the stiffness, but after a small break in period it gets pretty limp. I have thought about getting some 8# with a smaller diameter and breaking it in for a couple of my ice rods,lol........I bought some of the Crystal ice line at the end of the season last year, going to see how that works this season.

I dont think I will worry about Fireline dagradeing as much as mono, maybe I have just been lucky.

Kilroy
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/382548/TeamSDlogo1-1.jpg

If It Smells Like Fish And Tastes Like Fish.......It Just Might Be Fish.

Kilroy Was Here ~~~o00o~(_)~o00o~~~

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2008, 05:50 PM »
I use 2lb on my gill setups, 6 on my walleye, and 10 on my big game.  After I spool I attach the line to my swing set outside, and walk away until the spool is empty, strech the line, and reel it up nice and tight

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2008, 07:44 PM »
line on a spool in a box will last a good long time. Line's worst enemy is UV light, not age. You may be surprised to find out how old the line is in the store even when they do have high turn over. If age in the box was the big concern, they would have a best before date to protect reputation.
    Just for interest, Wallyworld here has a huge turnover on powerpro...at $14 vice $23 everywhere else it's a no brainer
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2008, 06:42 PM »
I use Cortland Ice 2lb on all my panfish rigs.  It is yellow line and disappears in darker water.  It will coil up on the spool over the summer but so does all line because the spool on your reel is so small it has no choice.  I put on about 100' of new line on them every season to keep it clean and coil free.  Nothing worse on a light jig than trying to get it down the hole with coiling line.  I tried the fireline crystal and absolutely hate it.  It seems to freeze up when sitting out in the cold.  Not only does it freeze on the spool but it will get frozen straight when it is out of the water waiting to get back in the water.  I just stick with the Cortland 2lb mono.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:33 PM »
good to know... I guess i'm not that picky. If I can get a line wet, it's a good line

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:51 PM »
ande ande ande...always strech the coils or kinks out before starting....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I use Fireline crystal micro ice in 1 lb diameter for my panfish rods.  The 1 lb fireline has the same diameter as 1/4 lb test mono.  Tough stuff, holds knots good, super sensitive and no leader needed.  Oh ya don't try to break it with your hands because you'll cut yourself first.  Clippers needed.  Used to use sewing machine thread but no more the fireline in 1 lb gets my nod.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:37 PM »
for really small jigs, i use 2lb trilene xl, 4lb for regular jigs, 6lb fireline for gamefish.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2009, 01:33 AM »
i like 4lb cajun red, and 4lb ht-black ice, black ice has very little memory, and high visibility on ice, cajun red has a surprisingly large amount of line on the spools so for 2 bucks it's a good buy, good visibility also, more memory than black ice, but black ice is about 5 bucks for just enough for one reel's worth, either one, take your pick.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2009, 05:32 AM »
Powerpro all the time, every time. There is no line memory, kinks, etc. Although if fishing muskie, etc use a leader.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.