Author Topic: pumkinseeds  (Read 2032 times)

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
pumkinseeds
« on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:16 PM »
 We have a ton of pumkinseeds here in our lakes but ive never caught one and have only seen the rare one caught fishing for perch through the ice, during the summer you can catch dozens without a problem. Do pumkinseeds stay in the same areas as summer or do they move deep?
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: pumkinseeds
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:08 AM »
Generally speaking, pumpinseeds are not "loner fish" and usually school with other gills. Typically, they are shorter in length and slightly fatter across the back.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:54 AM »
Generally speaking, pumpinseeds are not "loner fish" and usually school with other gills. Typically, they are shorter in length and slightly fatter across the back.
  I catch most of mine right on bottom along with gills.  I fish for perch on last ice in shallow water and the sunnies in 8'-12' of water.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:06 AM »
your going to find the pumpkinseeds as mentioned above along the bottom, they also are usually found in cover...when Perch fishing you are probably fishing the edges of the beds, if you want to find some gills..push aback a few feet into the vegitation and try to get to the bottom........if you have a camera it is priceless for gill fishing

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2007, 10:14 AM »
We have a ton of pumkinseeds here in our lakes but ive never caught one and have only seen the rare one caught fishing for perch through the ice, during the summer you can catch dozens without a problem. Do pumkinseeds stay in the same areas as summer or do they move deep?
when i catch them, its usually in shallower water.  theyre usually on the bottom from what i can tell.  i have caught them suspending in deeper water 15 ft or so at last ice.  i like to hunt for them, but havent gotten onto any this winter, theyre my favorite sunfish.  i read that they like things that bounce on the bottom, and stir up sediment
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.