Author Topic: What's the best line/leader for the ice?  (Read 14974 times)

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What's the best line/leader for the ice?
« on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:56 AM »
I am fairly new to hardwater fishing, and currently I'm using 10# mono b/c that's what I had kicking around - it sucks for ice fishing.  I was thinking of switching to a braid - not sure what to spool up.

Looking for something to handle it all, perch to pike - any ideas?

what about leaders - I want to try making my own flouro's - any ideas for # strength and how to tie onto your line?

thanks for the info

Tight lines

Offline PoCo Loco

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm willin' to do the drillin'
Re: What's the best line/leader for the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Not sure if this will be much help DL, but for the last 13 years that I have ice fished I just use straight mono, sized for the species.

I've got boxes of it sitting around anyway, so I just use whats on hand. 4lb for perch, 6-8 lb for walleye and 10 lb for pike.

Sure, I've probably missed/lost/spooked fish because of it, but I've also nailed a lot of fish without issue too.

Interested to hear what some of the other guys say.

PL

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Mono will have a better hook up percentage than a leader or braid any day of the week. But the problem is keeping the fish (usually only problem is with pike) on. I know alot of people use circle hooks when fishing for pike while using mono. This is because circle hooks hook the fish in the corner of the mouth and keeps it out of the pikes teeth. The trick with these hooks is not to jerk the line when you set the hook but to gently apply presure instead on yanking it. You also need the right size hook to go with the size of the pike you fish and the bait you use.
Good Luck! :tipup:

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Mono will have a better hook up percentage than a leader or braid any day of the week.

really? I've heard the opposite, but never tried braided line.  I've only ever used mono, b/c it's cheap - but I've heard braid has less stretch, is more sensitive and hence more hookups - no?

thanks all
Tight lines

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:03 PM »
That applies more to open water when your jigging deep. But what i was implying some line shy fish wont bite if they see the braid or leader as opposed to mono where its much much harder to see under the water. Ive had more flags with mono or mono leaders than on braid. And if you failing to actaully hook up instead of just getting bites or flags switch to a 18-36" mono leader for pike. As for perch they have a much softer mouth so hooking up shouldnt be a problem. As for walleye use a 8 or 10# mono. If you dont wan't to spool up in all mono i would use a longer leader. :tipup: :icefish:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:16 PM »
for me I have switched almost all of my rods to suffix braid as the backer, with a leader of p-line or asso (depending on sepecies im targeting). I love it

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:24 PM »
hmm... ??? I thought that flouro would be the most invisible to the fish underwater, not mono?

I was thinking my mono might be spookin' them?  it's a no brainer that my wire leader's gotta go, but I don't want bare line right to the lure(pike).

i'm mostly targeting walleye or pike - but I don't have a lot of rods yet, so I'm looking for a good all purpose setup.  I was thinking clear     8-12 lb braid, with a 20+ lb d.i.y. flouro leader

i usually fish in 15-50 fow

anyone else got an opinion on this?
Tight lines

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Hey DL, i would go with a braided line and flouro leader. Just use a micro swivel to attach your leader to stop line spin which definitely spooks fish.....i use this same set up jigging on the softwater too.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:11 PM »
If your fishing softwatrer then viscious is right but the need for flouro on hardwater tackle isn't really any greater than mono. The stretch on a line to line leader wouldn't be there with mono and the visibility wouldn't be much different considering the water clarity under the ice is much less than it would be in open water. Ive gone caught pike on 4lb test and ive tried 8# mono leaders and i have caught and released 3 pike in the same day with out a leader change

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:03 AM »
great info everyone, when you say "The stretch on a line to line leader wouldn't be there with mono" - i thought mono was the stretchiest line out there?

what's the stretch factor like on flouro?  Maybe I just watch too many fishing channel commercials, but I was under the impression that flouro was the best no stretch, invisible line around?
 ???
if not, why is it so pricey?

i'm still leaning towards braid backed, flouro leader - anyone else want to weigh in on this?
Tight lines

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:07 AM »
X2 on what icejunky suggested  ;)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:29 AM »
great info everyone, when you say "The stretch on a line to line leader wouldn't be there with mono" - i thought mono was the stretchiest line out there?

what's the stretch factor like on flouro?  Maybe I just watch too many fishing channel commercials, but I was under the impression that flouro was the best no stretch, invisible line around?
 ???
if not, why is it so pricey?

i'm still leaning towards braid backed, flouro leader - anyone else want to weigh in on this?

2 feet of line won't stretch. The stretch applies to excesive amounts of line like you would be casting all day in open water. Flouro is made with a special polymer that coats the line so it can't absorb water. It is also the most invisible in water. It also is slightly stronger than mono too. However this coating gives it a much greater line memory. I personlly don't think it would make a difference compared to mono under the ice. Its pricey because of the polymer coating. Ive used mono and flouro for leaders and really haven't noticed a difference. I change my leaders after every trip to.

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Great topic DL! You have heard lots of great opinions, now I'll share mine.

I do mostly pike fishing on hardwater. For that I use straight braid on my tip ups and on my jigging rods I use mono backing with a braid leader. Too many pike bite-offs. They don't seem to be able to saw through the braid.

I'm sure they probably see it more than flouro but usually pike just whack it if they see's it. They are aggressive fish, and I feel the strength out weighs the visibility. Who knows!

Another bonus for braid is the low stretch and small diameter.

If I fish for a more fussy fish like perch or crappie I would definately use braid with a flouro leader.

Good Luck!
Born to fish...Forced to work...To pay for Fishing!!!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:47 PM »
awesome info everyone - so let's see how many more arguements I can start:

how do you guys tie your line to line?  i.e. braid backing to flouro leader?  I am pretty green with knots....
Tight lines

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Line to line--The Blood knot

check out this web site it has all the knots you will ever need. It is animated and you can adjust the speed.

animatedknots.com
Born to fish...Forced to work...To pay for Fishing!!!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Line to line--The Blood knot

check out this web site it has all the knots you will ever need. It is animated and you can adjust the speed.

animatedknots.com

yep...been there before. great site, blood knot seems good, I'll try it - once candian tire stocks some proper flouro again...uggh.
Tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.