Author Topic: 2nd trip on the hardwater  (Read 800 times)

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
2nd trip on the hardwater
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:34 PM »
I got out again today for a couple hours planning on catching some decent perch. I was jigging with a micro jig seeing lots of action on the flasher and then NO MARKS all of a sudden. Not 30 seconds later i get a hit that is way to big to be a perch. It turns out that this pike must have scared off the perch i was marking on the flasher. Something that was odd as well with the pike was that his gills were hanging out of his gill plate even though i hooked him in the lip. Must have been hooked bad over the summer and fully recovered because he had a lot of energy for sure. Another great day on the ice. Stay safe!
ECB

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2nd trip on the hardwater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:29 PM »
never seen the gills hang like that before,kinda weird  :o

Offline bassin4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:51 AM »
I had caught a fish this summer with the gills hanging out one side too. I was surprised cause you always hear that if their gills get damaged they'll die. Nice fish!

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Nice early eastern Ontario report dood! I'm sure your right about the Gills most likely caught & maybe not handled with care when removing the hooks. I've been out twice myself, caught some B.Gills, Perch & Crappie. Should be back out by Wednesday.
Stay safe dude!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.