Author Topic: Snowshoes  (Read 1168 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snowshoes
« on: Jan 18, 2024, 03:59 PM »
Curious if anyone uses them and thinks they help? At what point do you start considering throwing them on? Seems a lot of places will be safe enough to talk on but not safe enough for snowmobiles and such yet. I find the wooden woven ones tend to work better than the plastic types.
Tight Lines!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowshoes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2024, 05:36 PM »
The short answer is when it is easier with them than without.   With that said
I will use them in deep wet snow to pack down the snow between tipups.   I can't remember the last time I used them as I usually have my sled if there is that much snow.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2024, 05:38 PM »
ive used them before when the snow was past half way to my knees.

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:10 PM »
It seems that you are asking about using snowshoes to walk on thin ice, not to walk in deep snow.

If that is the case, I would say never.

I have snowshoes, but rarely use them.  When I do the snow needs to be really fluffy and deep.  I have never used them ice fishing. 

I think would have to be walking at least a 1/2 mile in over a foot of fresh snow to make the decision to put on the snowshoes. 

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2024, 09:34 PM »
It seems that you are asking about using snowshoes to walk on thin ice, not to walk in deep snow.

If that is the case, I would say never.

I have snowshoes, but rarely use them.  When I do the snow needs to be really fluffy and deep.  I have never used them ice fishing. 

I think would have to be walking at least a 1/2 mile in over a foot of fresh snow to make the decision to put on the snowshoes.

I was talking about deep snow. Wouldn’t even think about using them on thin ice. I’d imagine if you go through it would make it pretty difficult to get out
Tight Lines!

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2024, 09:39 PM »
Maybe if you go through with snowshoes you can use them like flippers. Ah just kidding you would be toast.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:07 AM »
Years ago when I first started ice fishing they were a standard, must pack item. Part of my kit. I pulled them around in my jet sled for at least 3 seasons until I came to grips that I would never use them. To be fair, once the ice is thick enough I am a snowmobile ice fisher exclusively. This may change now that I live on the water however. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2024, 07:17 AM »
I've never used snowshoes but I have pulled my jet sled around on xc skis in the past.  It's made traveling over deep, fluffy snow a lot less strenuous, I built a pulk setup for my jet sled so my hands were free for the poles.  I've even used them on ice with a thin crust of snow, you can move a lot faster with less effort than walking.  But, between the skis, poles, and the pulk setup on the sled, it was just that much more gear to deal with.  If I know there's a chance I'll be post-holing through snow, I'll bring them along, but those cases seem fewer and farther between every year so they're usually left home.
-Matt

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2024, 08:05 AM »
Curious if anyone uses them and thinks they help? At what point do you start considering throwing them on? Seems a lot of places will be safe enough to talk on but not safe enough for snowmobiles and such yet. I find the wooden woven ones tend to work better than the plastic types.

Typically I find with deep snow it brings along Slush…so they might provide you a better base to walk on rather then sinking into the slush…depending on the depth I would think….I snowshoe often, but I’ve never used them for ice fishing
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2024, 08:27 AM »
  Typically I find with deep snow it brings along Slush…so they might provide you a better base to walk on rather then sinking into the slush…depending on the depth I would think….I snowshoe often, but I’ve never used them for ice fishing

Thanks for all the replies, make sense. PoolGuy, didn’t think about the slush, but that’s a no brainer. Funny how often I use them hiking or in trails etc. but never for ice fishing. So far this year there are some lakes with little snow and some lakes with a good amount (depending on when they froze) check the webcams people, things are looking up!
Tight Lines!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2024, 09:35 AM »
I've got a few pairs, they're great when walking in the woods holding nothing but a dog leash and maybe wearing a backpack but trying to drag a sled across the lake is different... I'd rather have to force my legs through the snow than trying to lift them out with every step of the snowshoes while dragging something if that makes sense...
Honestly though if there's enough snow on the lake that I need snowshoes but there isn't enough ice for a snowmobile I'm probably not fishing till next week anyways lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2024, 10:02 AM »
I just got a pair for Christmas . Great walking in the woods but I don’t think I would use them on the ice. I prefer to use my quad to get around.
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2024, 10:07 AM »

BINGO!  :o  I bought a pair years ago just for this reason! We had 10” of ice one year then got over a foot of snow. Then a couple days later we got freezing rain. We had 10” of slush on top of the ice with about a 1” thick crust on top. You would be walking along on top and about every third step you would break thru and sink up to your knee. The first few times it happened you really puckered because you felt like you were gonna go in. 😬
It made walking VERY difficult for several days until the slush finally froze solid. I went out the next day and bought snow shoes and tried them and they kept me on top. Without them I was sinking up to my knee...............
Where's the FISH?!

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2024, 11:48 AM »
I have used them many times when accessing back county ponds late season for brookies.  They certainly make traveling across the slush way easier.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2024, 04:07 PM »
I have 2 pairs, one for me and one for someone that might need them when the snow is deep.

It took a little time to get my walking rhythm down, but when I did it made walking in deep snow a heck of a lot easier.

First time out was on a late winter trip where we had 4' of snow and when I tried without I sank waist deep, with them on I sank less than a foot (I weighed around 275 lbs. at the time).
After I made it out on the pond a fellow angler came trudging out.
As he past I asked how was the walking and he saw my shoes and said that he followed my footsteps and when he sank waist deep he realized he had to go the long way to avoid the deeper snow.

They are good to have when needed, as without it will exhaust you just making it to the spot you want to fish.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2024, 04:13 PM »
I have 2 pairs, one for me and one for someone that might need them when the snow is deep.

It took a little time to get my walking rhythm down, but when I did it made walking in deep snow a heck of a lot easier.

First time out was on a late winter trip where we had 4' of snow and when I tried without I sank waist deep, with them on I sank less than a foot (I weighed around 275 lbs. at the time).
After I made it out on the pond a fellow angler came trudging out.
As he past I asked how was the walking and he saw my shoes and said that he followed my footsteps and when he sank waist deep he realized he had to go the long way to avoid the deeper snow.

They are good to have when needed, as without it will exhaust you just making it to the spot you want to fish.
Agreed!! Also a lifesaver when there is a layer of slush topped with snow. Makes all the difference in the world!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.