Author Topic: Breaded Hemlock Smelt w/ Cocktail Sauce  (Read 6683 times)

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Breaded Hemlock Smelt w/ Cocktail Sauce
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:08 PM »

My wife was very much enjoying herself last night when she was ten up on me in our smelt fishing "derby"  She ended up icing over 106 of them.  I lost count at 90 something.  We got over 200 smelt in about an hour and a half jigging.  It was a lot of fun. 

Here's how I cooked them tonight for my wife's first time eating smelt.

First ya get the smelt.  Here's a screen shot of a video I took inside the two-man shanty.  My wife and I with our four-year old daughter.

I like to use scissors to clean the smelt.  First, I snip off their heads on an angle, just behind the front fins.  Then, a snip up the abdomen.  I keep putting the smelt back in the fridge while working on them so they never get warm.  After all the heads are off and the abdomens opened, I flick out the entrails with a finger and then rinse them all with cold water, but don't rinse them too much.  People rinse fish far too much.  Washes off the flavor!

fish heads... fish heads...

While the smelt are back in the fridge, I get the cocktail sauce going:

Chop up some shallots and a tomato and have some lemon on the ready.  Naturally, you'll need some ketchup and some horseradish.

Squeeze in some lemon and add horseradish to your liking:

Next, get your breading stuff ready.  Make sure you season your flour well.  Lots of seasoning!!!  Beat a couple eggs and season up the breadcrumbs real good, too.

Now you are ready to get breading.   It's not that hard of a process, but requires some finesse to do it effectively.

I HIGHLY recommend that you keep one hand wet and one hand dry.  Not easy to do, but once you get used to it, you won't be able to do it any other way and you can make fun of your helpers who end up breading their fingers.

It is imperative that your oil is HOT before you add the fish.  Test the oil by just dipping a little corner of  a smelt in.  If it doesn't fizzle, the oil is too cool.  If it crackles and spatters and it is smoking- guess what?  Yep, it's too dang hot.

Try to add as many smelt as the pan can handle comfortably as fast as you can so they all cook uniformly.  Don't overload the oil.  Leave enough room for 'em to fry up nice.

Let 'em go until they get browned up a bit and they start to float. 

Then, remove to a plate of paper towels for a quick moment before serving with the cocktail sauce.

If I think I am going to have them again soon, I put the breading material in the fridge with plastic wrap between each one, like so:

You can keep it like this for three or four days, but I wouldn't hang on it much longer than that.  Typically, when I get a good haul of smelt, I will eat them everyday until they are gone if I can.  If there is too many for me to eat up before they go bad, I will freeze them, but I prefer to eat them fresh.

I buy plastic wrap in 2000' rolls.  I use it for all kinds of stuff.  It's handy!

Sometimes I like my smelt beer battered, but most of the time, it's breaded smelt for me.  And I want my cocktail sauce to be hot enough to make me cough if i don't respect it.

Bon Appetit and Fish On!!!

"Women fear me & fish love me...  er, I mean..."

Offline fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Breaded Hemlock Smelt w/ Cocktail Sauce
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Thanks for the post.  Sound realllllll good. 

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:58 AM »
Fantastic post Woodroce.  Great pictoral.  Really have me wanting to try Hemmy or Canadice now!

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:27 AM »

Fantastic post Woodroce.  Great pictoral.  Really have me wanting to try Hemmy or Canadice now!

Thanks, gumpy. 

Ya know, I am willing to bet that you can rail the smelt through the ice out of any body of water that has smelt in it.  I bet!  I used to think Canadice was great for smelt, but Hemlock was awesome.  I want to try Keuka sometime. 

Offline beerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • beer is proof that god loves us
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:00 PM »
my mouth is now watering :o :o :o boy thats the way i do it as well. this years i have some hush puppy mix i am going to try.  nice pics  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
when we fear the government its tyranny when the government fears the people its freedom

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:12 AM »

Waaaahhhhhhh!!!

I didn't get to go ice fishing last year because there was no ice.  Now, I sit here, praying for ice, looking through old threads and it's making me want to ice fish so, dang, BAD!

I miss eating these delicious smelt, too! 

Please let there be ice so we can eat smelt for Superbowl!

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Nice tutorial.

I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2013, 12:11 AM »
I have never had them like that,we allways remove the bones,its easy to do you just run your knife from inside the belly to the tail now just squeeze it a little until you feel it fold out then just grab the bone and pull it out

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2013, 05:45 AM »
Excellent pictorial, the picters were fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to lay it out it was very enjoyable. Oneof the best I have seen on the site so far.  :bow:

WS

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:10 PM »
Woodroce...it appears you are in the Restaurant business or know somebody who is, by the Sysco plastic wrap ;)
Great job on the VERY thorough post...I am a Professional Chef and you did it right ;D
You cocktail sauce is very unorthodox and lookse AWESOME :clap: It is a must for me from now on...thank you!!!
AW

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:28 AM »
5 star smelt recipe!

I'm making your cocktail sauce today. No smelt, but I do have shrimp......on second thought, maybe some Po Man's Shrimp.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:43 PM »

Thank you very much for all the compliments, everyone.  Yes, I was a chef for over 20 years. If you liked the smelt recipe, you will love this walleye recipe!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=178808.0http://

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:40 AM »

I intend to get me some Canadice Lake smelt to prepare this recipe for Super Bowl Sunday!   ;D     It's become a family tradition in my house.  Except for the years there was no ice and I couldn't get the smelt.  I don't think that is going to be a problem this year!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Yum     :bow:

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.