Author Topic: Slammer Tipups for pike  (Read 18790 times)

Lighting Rod

Slammer Tipups for pike
« on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:20 PM »
Do any of you guys use slammers for pike? How do you rig it?

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
Re: Slammer Tipups for pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2005, 10:54 PM »
8# mono mainline and leader with a #4 or #6 treble ... barrel swivel tied inline about 16" above hook to eliminate line twist from circling minnows ... big splitshot or rubber core sinker below the swivel ... hook minnow behind dorsal with one hook

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Lighting Rod

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2005, 04:53 PM »
Thanks, Sothe pike don't run at all?

Offline slice_o_life

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2005, 06:29 AM »
  excuse a dumb question,  what is the diff. between a slammer tip up and any other?
     i've never seen any.
           thanks
              slice o life       

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2005, 11:47 AM »
show em slammerman

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2005, 01:21 AM »
here's one difference ... you can use it even if there is no ice  ;)

Too tired to type too much ... you can find more info about Slammer Tip-Ups here slice_o_life ....
http://hometown.aol.com/slamcoinc/slammertipups.html

and here's an article about pike fishing with Slammers ....

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/icefishing/gf_aa016205a/

P.S. That is a Tripper device pictured in the "Slammin' Winter Pike" article linked above.

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2005, 03:28 PM »
 just another silly question but Slammerman how  do you set the drag on the reel.  how loose do you want it? 

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2005, 01:27 AM »
 ;D I follow the directions included with your Slammer Tip-Up or Slammer Tip-Up Kit

.... not too loose and not too tight

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2005, 07:02 AM »
in other words  after buying the kit  all questions will  be answered.
 thanks 

Offline Fishnlunatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2005, 07:35 PM »
I've noticed on Slamco's page to check your state regs. for legality. Anyone know if there legal in Colorado or more so where I could find out? They seem like they would be such a popular item, but I've never seen one being used. Anyway I just bought two kits and hope its legal to use them. Thanks for the info.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2005, 09:23 AM »
Slammerman,

Have tried the Pike Slammin link and apparently my browser will not open or the site is not working properly, as the article will not open for me.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

pikeboy

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2005, 10:24 AM »
What kind of results do you guys get with slammers compared to regular tipups?

Offline taz54868

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2005, 11:03 AM »
very good results.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2005, 11:07 PM »
Slammerman,

Have tried the Pike Slammin link and apparently my browser will not open or the site is not working properly, as the article will not open for me.

-Reelcharacter

Tried the link again today and it seems to work fine now:
http://hometown.aol.com/slamcoinc/slammertipups.html

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Knife2sharp

« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:10 AM »
I finished my Slammers 2 weeks ago and I'm 0 for 2 on bites.  The first one set the slammer off and the minnow was completely gone and there was no jerking of the rod.  It's like the fish grabbed the minnow right off the hook.  Last Saturday I had one on and after a few tugs he let the minnow go.  I even had a stinger treble hook on and I'm surprised the hook didn't set. 

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2005, 09:34 AM »
Don't bother getting sucked into paying $33 for something you can build yourself for a few dollars.  Check out the inventions section under equipment.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2005, 11:29 PM »
I finished my Slammers 2 weeks ago and I'm 0 for 2 on bites.  The first one set the slammer off and the minnow was completely gone and there was no jerking of the rod.  It's like the fish grabbed the minnow right off the hook.  Last Saturday I had one on and after a few tugs he let the minnow go.  I even had a stinger treble hook on and I'm surprised the hook didn't set. 

And those are either Slammer Tip-Ups or Slammer Tip-Ups made from kits that you are using??

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2005, 11:32 PM »
Don't bother getting sucked into paying $33 for something you can build yourself for a few dollars.  Check out the inventions section under equipment.

Yeah ... you can build a Slammer Tip-Up yourself for a few dollars ... why they're offered in a KIT FORM with a suggested retail under $15. You can build lots of things yourself for a few dollars ... getting the right parts, putting it together correctly, and making it work right costs a little more.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2005, 04:13 AM »
i made a homemade job that has done well. it doent have as much hooksetting power as you would think since i used a light action rod so bigger fish will get a chance to spit your bait. i set it up close to the shanty so i can get to it quick. it has been very fun and at least for now has replaced one of my tipups in my regular arsenal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2005, 07:36 AM »
could slammerman be associated with the slamco company that markets slammer kits?...he seems to be discouraging people from using their own skills to construct quality homemade slammers.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2005, 10:05 AM »
could slammerman be associated with the slamco company that markets slammer kits?...he seems to be discouraging people from using their own skills to construct quality homemade slammers.

Yeah ... I OWN the company. And I do discourage people from "trying" to copy my designs and ending up with cobbled up junk and calling them "slammers" when they are not .... gives REAL Slammers a bad name

You're NOT going to construct quality homemade slammers unless you are doing so from the kit.

Some people, like billditrite, DO make their own ice-fishing devices (most are take-offs of some design of mine, Whip-Ups, or Trippers), but they are NOT Slammers.

I did a little archive checking and I'm fairly sure Knife2sharp did NOT make Slammer Tip-Ups from the kit. The kit comes with INSTRUCTIONS.

Slammer Tip-Ups (a.k.a. Slammers) is a TRADEMARKED BRAND NAME and does NOT refer to any and all tip-up/rodholder devices, or homemade "copies" of Slammer Tip-Ups.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2005, 10:36 AM »
A slammer, whipup, whatever you want to call it is not exactly a precision science....in fact they are very basic and archaic in their mechanism.  Anyone with basic mechanical skill and some inventiveness can build one that parallels the effectiveness of a "brandname slammer" out of purchased or fabricated hardware.  Furthermore, whipups have been around for decades, so to assume someone is simply copying the design of the so-called "real slammer" by building one at home is being a bit egotistical. 

gill_muncher

« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2005, 06:25 PM »

Yeah ... I OWN the company. And I do discourage people from "trying" to copy my designs and ending up with cobbled up junk and calling them "slammers" when they are not .... gives REAL Slammers a bad name

You're NOT going to construct quality homemade slammers unless you are doing so from the kit.

Some people, like billditrite, DO make their own ice-fishing devices (most are take-offs of some design of mine, Whip-Ups, or Trippers), but they are NOT Slammers.

I did a little archive checking and I'm fairly sure Knife2sharp did NOT make Slammer Tip-Ups from the kit. The kit comes with INSTRUCTIONS.

Slammer Tip-Ups (a.k.a. Slammers) is a TRADEMARKED BRAND NAME and does NOT refer to any and all tip-up/rodholder devices, or homemade "copies" of Slammer Tip-Ups.
What makes you think the slammers we make are crap?
I made two and they look just like yours except the pieces came from the lumber store.  I made all the wood to length by reading an old board describing your product and looked at pictures.  I also visited your site and found no up close pictures of your product.  that leads me to believe people are able to make what you are making for cheaper and that is not profitable to you.  So I am not putting you down.  But, I think it is wrong for you to say that what we are building for cheaper will never work and dont waste the money on imatations. 

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:10 AM »
You guys just don't get it ....

YOU ARE NOT MAKING "HOMEMADE" SLAMMERS - you are TRYING to make a COPY OF A SLAMMER TIP-UP and then calling it a "slammer".

There IS a little bit of science involved and tuning techniques that you'll never get from looking at other people's "copies" or by pulling pictures from MY website.

People do make somewhat similar homemade devices and sometimes they work - usually they work at getting your line spooled, getting your bait robbed, and breaking your rod.

To quote from someone using "homemade slammer wannabes": "I'm 0 for 2 on bites.  The first one set the thing off and the minnow was completely gone and there was no jerking of the rod.  It's like the fish grabbed the minnow right off the hook.  Last Saturday I had one on and after a few tugs he let the minnow go.  I even had a stinger treble hook on and I'm surprised the hook didn't set." 

The funniest ones to me are people that made copies from the illustration that appeared in IN-Fisherman 10 years ago - I drew the illustration from a DISCONTINUED 1995 MODEL Slammer Tip-Up that had too many problems (BTW gill_muncher - the lengths are WRONG too).

The biggest mistake people make trying to make a homemade copy of a real Slammer is by using a tube-style rod-holder - that usually shows the true mechanical skill and lack of "inventiveness" (is that a real word??) of the copier.

And here's the kicker .... The only reason ANYONE has even heard of Slammers or Slammer Tip-Ups is because of me .... you guys just keep feeding that ego of mine.

A little quote from a buddy of mine I like - "Try to save a buck and you usually end up spending ten bucks worth of time dealing with it."

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:44 AM »
No one I know will be giving an egomaniacal self-marketing a$$ like yourself any of our business....get over yourself "slammerman", you did not invent this type of device...you simply make devices that are spin-offs of designs that have been in existence for decades in the midwest.  To accuse someone of stealing your design when that is exactly what you have done is quite hypocritical in nature. Oh and FYI...inventiveness is certainly a word of the English vocabulary...I have a master's degree and do not appreciate an insult of my intelligence or constructive abilities.  Without further elaboration, my principal point is that people do exist who do not fall into advertising hype and who reap enjoyment by using things that they build themselves....one should not be so quick to discourage this practice out of self-interest.

Knife2sharp

« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2005, 01:49 PM »
Matt,

I did make mine from a kit.  Remember, you moved my order up because I was an Ice Shanty member? 

Ryan

Knife2sharp

« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2005, 01:52 PM »
I did not post my message to diss the Slammer, rather, I don't know why the hooks aren't setting.  As far as I can tell I'm setting them up properly.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2005, 03:50 PM »
No one I know will be giving an egomaniacal self-marketing a$$ like yourself any of our business....get over yourself "slammerman", you did not invent this type of device...you simply make devices that are spin-offs of designs that have been in existence for decades in the midwest.  To accuse someone of stealing your design when that is exactly what you have done is quite hypocritical in nature. Oh and FYI...inventiveness is certainly a word of the English vocabulary...I have a master's degree and do not appreciate an insult of my intelligence or constructive abilities.  Without further elaboration, my principal point is that people do exist who do not fall into advertising hype and who reap enjoyment by using things that they build themselves....one should not be so quick to discourage this practice out of self-interest.

... and yet you still don't get it ...  ???

BTW - thanks for the compliments fizzle :-*

... and you mean COPY themselves ...

I DON'T CARE IF PEOPLE MAKE THEIR OWN DEVICES !!!! ... just PLEASE stop calling them SLAMMERS when they are not

I did not "steal" anyone's design ... Slammer Tip-Ups were patterned after downriggers in the way they operate more than Whip-Ups, Trippers, Blammers, whatever

More history .... Whip-Ups are native to northern Wisconsin and receive very little if any press. If I'd ever heard of one, I probably would have tried to make one when I was in junior high wood shop. Trippers are a derivative of Whip-Ups and are native to the Pentwater/ Ludington area of Michigan and were only around for a year or so before WE began to make the first prototypes of Slammer Tip-Ups.

Slammers were developed in the early '90's because a couple fishing buddies and I overheard: "using a shorter rod in a rod-holder kind of like a downrigger on the ice for steelies."

I'd fished the Pentwater river flats since I was a little kid and when the flats were choked with ice, we would sometimes fish for steelies through the ice using our 9' - 10' river rods. NO ONE had any Whip-Ups, Trippers, Slammers or anything even close. Shoot - DOWNRIGGERS had just recently been invented. Most people who fished steelies through the ice used old conventional stick tip-ups.

We made prototypes WITHOUT EVER SEEING A WHIP-UP OR TRIPPER and then kept revising from there. We adopted the drop-away arm (much shorter on a Slammer) after seeing a Tripper to hold the release, protect the line from being blown by the wind, and to pull up a FLAG (which Whip-Ups or Trippers don't have). We also made Slammers ADJUSTABLE which Whip-Ups and Trippers ARE NOT.

The physical properties of a Slammer Tip-Up vs. Whip-Ups and Trippers are also TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I really don't care to get into all that right now.

Ryan - send me a PM regarding those misses - I'm guessing either too large of bait for the fish that are taking it (possibly bass or pickerel) or where you're hooking your bait. Need more details.

gill_muncher

« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Dear Slammerman,

I read about slammers in an article in the Michigan Sportsman.  I made my own to the exact measurements from someone you bought your build-it-yourself kits.  I dont see how a tube rod holder versus your spiral one would make a difference in catching fish so please explain it to me.  From now on for the sake of copyrighting I will no longer call what I built slammers.  They are slappers.

thank you for your time.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2005, 11:03 PM »
Dear Slammerman,

I read about slammers in an article in the Michigan Sportsman.  I made my own to the exact measurements from someone you bought your build-it-yourself kits.  I dont see how a tube rod holder versus your spiral one would make a difference in catching fish so please explain it to me.  From now on for the sake of copyrighting I will no longer call what I built slammers.  They are slappers.

thank you for your time.

Got yourself a catchy little slogan for them, ready made . . .
. . . slap on slap off,  . . . the slapper!

. . . but then that would be copying someone, so I guess that's out . . .  ???   ;)

-Reelcharacter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.