Author Topic: icefishing/hunting bibs  (Read 4638 times)

Offline trying to catch a biggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
icefishing/hunting bibs
« on: Nov 04, 2007, 09:24 AM »
I think they are called bibs they are almost like snow pants and the straps go over your shoulders...I'm looking for a new pair. They need to be WARM and durable..I'm not sure if i should buy orange or camo any suggestions. thankyou

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
Re: icefishing/hunting bibs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2007, 09:32 AM »
 I own a pair of Carhartt bibs, best investment clothing wise for ice fishing. If it's cold for deer hunting this year, that's what I'll be wearing if I'm not going to be walking around a lot.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2007, 09:35 AM »
I have a pair of Carrharrt Arctic Extreme bibs and I love them. They are made of very heavy nylon instead or the standard carrharrt canvas. They wear like iron and look new for years because nylon is rip and fade resistant. The best part is that they are water resistant enough to use for rain gear! They will run you an extra $30 over a regular pair of arctic lined bibs but they are more than worth it! I can wear mine to work all week and after a ride in the washing machine they look brand new for the weekend. I have had these bibs for five years now!

They are no good for hunting though, they are noisy when you move. Swish, swish, swish, you know. ;)

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2007, 10:45 AM »
i have Goretex bibs found in the hunting section of bass pro shops. 100%waterproof and really warm too. they were about 120 dollars.

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2007, 11:11 AM »
I'll have to side with Skipper on this one :) i have one of the Arctic Extreme coats - WOW - wonderful investment - 3 years now and its still got the good old Carhartt stiffness ;) - i couldn't find the bibs in a fat guy size - but the standard arctic lined bibs work just as well - unless you plan on swimming. You really cant go wrong with a good pair of Carhartts.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2007, 08:59 PM »
I have the Cold Snap by Vexilar bibs and jacket and am very pleased with them. I have put them through some brutal conditions and they performed well. Depending on size they are from $99 - $104 directly from Vexilar.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2007, 09:26 PM »
I have the Icearmor jacket and pants set. love them. little pricey but if you Waite tell middle of season Reeds always has them on sale.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2007, 04:02 PM »
This is another option I found on the site sponsor, fish307.com. Its made by I.D.I Gear and is called Arctic Armor.
299.00 for both jacket and bibs.  They appear to be well insulated, plus they are a flotation suit that will float up to  287 pounds of body weight. Comes in red and camo.
http://www.fish307.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6537
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline ralwag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • PARTY'S ON THE ICE!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Go to cabelas. They have bibs for around $75 and are gore tex with camo. Very warm and you can use them for hunting or fishing

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Just plain old black Carhartt insulated bibs.  I usually wear long johns and some surplus BDU pants under the Carhartts for layered dressing. 

It gets warm in the shanty sometimes.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2007, 02:23 AM »
I think they are called bibs they are almost like snow pants and the straps go over your shoulders...I'm looking for a new pair. They need to be WARM and durable..I'm not sure if i should buy orange or camo any suggestions. thankyou

If you're looking for a pair for hunting, I hope you're planning sitting, because most bibs are pretty noisy, and get kind of heavy for lots of walking.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline trying to catch a biggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2007, 05:32 AM »
Ya i walk around a pretty good amount. Some materials make no nosies when walking. The material is like thick and like a cloth..but some other kinds it makes a swish swish swish sound. That material is like wind pants or something. Ya the carhartts looks good and i went on cabelas and they got a bunch to choose from.

Offline brookiebomber477

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if i ain't icefishin'...i ain't happy!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2007, 08:32 AM »
i have to agree with anyone who has advocated buying carhartt, they are a little pricey, but the investment is well worth the price, very warm and extremely longlasting and durable

Offline iceisnice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2007, 05:50 AM »
If you're looking for a pair for hunting, I hope you're planning sitting, because most bibs are pretty noisy, and get kind of heavy for lots of walking.
The IDI gear in the camo is very quiet.  They weigh less than 8 pounds for the entire suit, bibs and jacket.  They are also wind proof.  my experiance is super warm super light with the added bonus that they float.  Good for hunting or fishing.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2007, 06:10 AM »
I've got the black Carhartt Extreme bibbs on a spring sale a year ago and the hooded extreme coat this spring on a sale.  The bibbs were great and hoping the coat is to.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2007, 11:36 AM »
If you wear these types of clothing be aware if you go in they will hold water and make it harder to get out.

I use gortex and fleece under and a insulating layer.
Gander $70 gortex bibs to 3xor 4x.
I also use a neoprene boot called muck boot artic warrior light,warm and water proof.

I find my legs get wet from setting tip ups, drilling holes with the gas auger and wiping bugs guts on my legs.

Hunting clothes should only be used for hunting, in my view.

I bought some cheap bibs from wally world and dam they work really well. $150 bucks for two sets of bibs specialized for each job.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.