New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George perchin' thread  (Read 158380 times)

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake George perchin' thread
« Reply #360 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Perchslappin/Jigshimmer....You guys are obviously very good perch fisherman.  It seems like not getting a limit is an exception for you.  And, you both seem to go regularly.  This is in no way is a critical question, just curiosity on my part.  The question is, what do you do with all those perch?  Do you have a steady diet of fish, give alot away or are you selling them?   

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #361 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:59 PM »
It's funny you ask,I just sent a message to another member saying I bring his buddies mom perch fillets because she loves them and her son seldom fishes perch. He's probably one of the best fisherman on the site though I've never met him. My little sister and my nieces love them also so I give them quite a few. My wife likes them but truth be known once a week is plenty for her. I could eat them 3 times a week year round with no complaints. The man that gave me this addiction as a young boy gets some fillets also as he's getting older and doesn't go much. And nope I don't sell any fish.

Offline Bjigging

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Hey I know I counted my fish all day long!!  Thanks for the heads up!!  I usaly try to do a count down when I get to 40 or 45 it helps!!!

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #363 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Terry, Jonie was just telling me on Friday how you were gonna bring her some perch, and how she gave her Son and husband crap for having to have some one at work give her perch as much as they fish!

quote author=perchslappinmy link=topic=285171.msg3020062#msg3020062 date=1394495969]
It's funny you ask,I just sent a message to another member saying I bring his buddies mom perch fillets because she loves them and her son seldom fishes perch. He's probably one of the best fisherman on the site though I've never met him. My little sister and my nieces love them also so I give them quite a few. My wife likes them but truth be known once a week is plenty for her. I could eat them 3 times a week year round with no complaints. The man that gave me this addiction as a young boy gets some fillets also as he's getting older and doesn't go much. And nope I don't sell any fish.
[/quote]
Paul

Offline MSicefisher17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #364 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Something happened to me and my dad yesterday that I never thought would happen on this lake...we got completely skunked perch fishing. Not even a dink. We fished 7:30-2 on Harris Bay. Marked them on the vexilar but they would just not bite. We drilled at least 30 holes and tried all different sizes and color jigs. Tip up guys weren't having any luck either. We did however hook 3 lake trout and I was able to put a 26" laker on the ice. It was my first ever so I was pretty excited, but man I was just stunned at the lack of perch. I've never fished this late in the year on George so maybe the fish weren't in their usual spots that I find them in January/February in the weeds in 40' of water. Maybe I should've fished shallower? Maybe the lakers that were roaming around had them scared, but to not even catch one?? Jeez

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #365 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Paul that's funny. She couldn't believe that I wasn't working overtime today to help pay for my upcoming fine  :) I'll bring her some in the morning.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #366 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:40 PM »
Something happened to me and my dad yesterday that I never thought would happen on this lake...we got completely skunked perch fishing. Not even a dink. We fished 7:30-2 on Harris Bay. Marked them on the vexilar but they would just not bite. We drilled at least 30 holes and tried all different sizes and color jigs. Tip up guys weren't having any luck either. We did however hook 3 lake trout and I was able to put a 26" laker on the ice. It was my first ever so I was pretty excited, but man I was just stunned at the lack of perch. I've never fished this late in the year on George so maybe the fish weren't in their usual spots that I find them in January/February in the weeds in 40' of water. Maybe I should've fished shallower? Maybe the lakers that were roaming around had them scared, but to not even catch one?? Jeez

read the last 2 pages.

Saturday I got 65 perch in 17' of water. No weeds around. Bare sand to mud bottom. Perfect staging area's for spawning.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #367 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:42 PM »
It happens...not very often but it happens. Had one day earlier this year that I caught like  5 perch. Drilled lots of holes but just couldn't find  them. Spots on the gps where we always find them. There were lots of lakers around and maybe that had something to do with it  although this weekend  the 2 were together and the perch came back shortly after the lakers left. Who knows...just happens some times. Congrats on the laker  ;D

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #368 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I think they could make the limit on LG one 5 galon pale full, this would get rid of some of the dinks that obviously have overtaken a lot of perch beds, guys like myself will still just take them around 10" or better! Some guys don't mind cleaning the small ones. Numbers of people are talking about the Lakers caught in perch beds, why do you think that is? 😱 If Lake George is to remain a Bountiful Lake some things need to change. I've seen to much change in my fishing career of 39 years on LG , I've been on this lake conservatively since I was 5! I've seen perch beds destroyed by commercial fishermen, they would rape the larger more sale able perch, now the same grounds are vertually nothing but dinks. The Salmon fishery has been destroyed , the Lake Trout population has exploded. A lot of changes to this lake in a short time span. Lake trout should have regs changed, 2 trout 21"-26" and 1 Trophy trout over 30" Salmon need to be stocked bigger even if it means stocking every 2 or 3 rd year!
I believe if the State and we'll I might as we'll say it the Lake George Commission doesn't make some nessesary changes it's gonna have serious problems in the years to come. IMHO
Paul

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I've built a nice stockpile of meat in the freezer this year.  ;)
Perch (fish) cakes, scampi, fried... I've got a chowder going on the stove now. I mix it up so it never gets old for me.

I catch more fish than the dude you're referring to lies about. Bahahahaha!
He's stuck on the walleye fishing. Good luck prying those fillets from a dude's hands.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #370 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:17 PM »
I believe the dinks are next years keepers, guys, the lakers eating the dinks eliminate the overpopulation, and give the smelt and ciscoes a break too.  I am still believing the benthic mats the guys been putting on the bottom to kill the zebra muscles are ruining some of the perch beds at least for the next season, less food available for the smaller fish.....When we are seeing that many dinks, either there are a lot of big fish reproducing, or the bigger ones are being overharvested, while smaller, more immature perch are spawning in larger numbers...So many theories, so little time to fish...Barebow

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #371 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:17 PM »
Yeah I started doing some more with them this year I usually prebread and freeze it all, this year I am freezing a lot more for broiling, poor man's shrimp etc. I've caught 1100 so far 18 limits been spending time lately chasing trout its about time to get back after em' though.

Offline MSicefisher17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #372 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:22 PM »
read the last 2 pages.

Saturday I got 65 perch in 17' of water. No weeds around. Bare sand to mud bottom. Perfect staging area's for spawning.

Am I in the right bay at least? And I just need to be shallower?

Offline MSicefisher17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #373 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:25 PM »
It happens...not very often but it happens. Had one day earlier this year that I caught like  5 perch. Drilled lots of holes but just couldn't find  them. Spots on the gps where we always find them. There were lots of lakers around and maybe that had something to do with it  although this weekend  the 2 were together and the perch came back shortly after the lakers left. Who knows...just happens some times. Congrats on the laker  ;D

Thanks, and glad to know it can even happen to the pro's and it's not just me!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #374 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Am I in the right bay at least? And I just need to be shallower?

couldnt tell ya. Just started perch fishing a few weeks ago. Switched from Lakers. I have only been sticking to one bay for perch to explore it and find my own spots.

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #375 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:23 PM »
couldnt tell ya. Just started perch fishing a few weeks ago. Switched from Lakers. I have only been sticking to one bay for perch to explore it and find my own spots.

So your new to perch fishing, but sounds like you can count pretty good! Huh! 🙊
Paul

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #376 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 PM »
So your new to perch fishing, but sounds like you can count pretty good! Huh! 🙊

haha yeah I guess so!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #377 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:46 AM »
Ran into a pretty good concentration of perch yesterday off vets but they were not very aggressive.  I used a small chartreuse football jig which took forever to get down with a couple of spikes on it.  They only seemed to hit it if I lifted it slowly from the bottom up a foot and a half or so.  They weren't big, but I kept a couple dozen.

Several spit up a big wad of partially digested scuds.  Does anyone know of a reasonable imitation of a scud?  Seems like that would be the ticket.  May have to get my fly tying stuff out.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #378 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:17 AM »

Several spit up a big wad of partially digested scuds.  Does anyone know of a reasonable imitation of a scud?  Seems like that would be the ticket.  May have to get my fly tying stuff out.
I run 2 jigs at all times when jigging perch. A Northland Scud Bug is a fixture on every rod for me as the top jig. Most of my bigger perch have come on that scud.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #379 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:09 AM »
Got an invite from a friend to fish the lake for the first time.  It was fairly slow but I did end up with a dozen keepers.  We were fishing in the mid-30's depth wise and were not marking alot of fish.  Moved around a fair amount but never got into any numbers.  It is interesting what SSmokin said above about getting them in alot shallower water.  I always thought that they'd be moving shallower this time of year but my friend has always had success deep.  Great day to be out there anyway.  Got an invite to return any time so I'm hoping that I'll get into the fast action that you guys talk about.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #380 on: Mar 12, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Don't worry guys I switched over to perch mode.   Terry can still bring my mom some perch lol.    It meen so don't have to drop off any eyes.     Got 3 shy of a limit but it wasn't at George.   Got 2 over 14 in and had over a dozen surpassing 12.     Going to go out this weekend on George to finish filling the freezer.     And dec already knows I have a hard time counting correctly to( parents fault)
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #381 on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:07 AM »
Combsey:

Since you are from Luzerne are you sure your counting problems may be related to the school???  Maybe you should have gone to Corinth!

Tight Lines,

Eagle Ed

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #382 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Combsey nice meeting you the other day out in "catfish" territory lol. Hopefully our paths with cross again sometime. Disappointing night there, but on to better things. Shoot me a pm if you wanna fish sometime, I think I'm heading north tonight to get some dinner @)

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #383 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:41 AM »
I'm actually from queensbury.        Slab commander.    It was nice to meet you to.   Went there yesterday and slammed the perch ( 2 over 14 in )and a 40 in pike.   ( released ).
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #384 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:26 PM »
I'm actually from queensbury.        Slab commander.    It was nice to meet you to.   Went there yesterday and slammed the perch ( 2 over 14 in )and a 40 in pike.   ( released ).
Your mom showed me a pic of the pike...nice fish. I also showed her your other post...just so ya know I don't think she liked the last part    ;D

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #385 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Oh very nice dude! I may hit toga this evening for a couple despite the weather (I'm insane lol)

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #386 on: Mar 12, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Your mom showed me a pic of the pike...nice fish. I also showed her your other post...just so ya know I don't think she liked the last part    ; yes that was nice pike

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #387 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:46 PM »
i hit up luzerne this morning the bite was good came home with 25

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #388 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:46 PM »
i hit up luzerne this morning the bite was good came home with 25
Sounds like you had a good day, better that it was on Sat. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline bvb35

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #389 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:19 PM »
How much snow did george get

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.