Author Topic: question on IDI Suit  (Read 940 times)

Offline letsfish

• IceShanty Rookie
question on IDI Suit
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:24 PM »
I know these suits float . My question is how much weight does  just the bibs or just the jacket float separately . I own a suit and was just curious because my nephew wants to go with me and being early ice was going to let him use one and I use the other . Thanks Dave

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: question on IDI Suit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:44 AM »
not sure but I have heard the number 300 thrown around as the total, not sure if it would divide the weight equally. I'm thinking maybe the bibs would float 2/3 and jacket 1/3 just by the amount of material that is in each.

That said I would rather have my upper body floating than just the bottom half, if you go unconsicous at least your head would stay above water. With just the bottom floating they may find your dry boots floating high and dry and your head underwater, which would not be good, LOL

J-

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:00 PM »
8.8 ounces of insultex will float 287 pounds. I think the suit is supposed to support 600 and some pounds. Supposedly if a person with AA and someone else breaks through the ice, they say to hang on to the other person because it can keep you both afloat.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:12 PM »
not sure but I have heard the number 300 thrown around as the total, not sure if it would divide the weight equally. I'm thinking maybe the bibs would float 2/3 and jacket 1/3 just by the amount of material that is in each.

That said I would rather have my upper body floating than just the bottom half, if you go unconsicous at least your head would stay above water. With just the bottom floating they may find your dry boots floating high and dry and your head underwater, which would not be good, LOL

J-

That just made me thought of Red Green inventions.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:49 AM »
just curious... are these suits coast guard approved for flotation like the mustangs, or is the flotation a byproduct of the insulation?

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:57 AM »
  A rep for the company at the New York ice show told us that going thru the certification process with all it entails would double the cost of the suit. Which would make it out of reach for most people.
Jim K.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:04 AM »
I think with just the bibs yould need to change your name  to   BOB

I have them   they are great   couldnt see mismatching brands for the comfort and security they give me
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ekozlo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:23 PM »
 Greetings All
 I own a camo Float coat by Stearns !! It worked great last year when i took a afternoon dip!!
The entire coat floats well and warm even after my dip !!
Last year i purchased a Stearns float suit!! now life will be safer just in case i take another swim??
It was in orange with a float collar just in case nobody was near or you had to stay longer in the water!
The entire suit is warm wind doesn't both it and or water!! Great investment '' Save or life or help another person in trouble out on that ice or near the water or in the water!!
If buying stay with a reputable company 'me i prefer ''Stearns''!
All stay safe and enjoy!                 ed kozlo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.