Author Topic: If you were me....  (Read 6959 times)

Offline fishaholic1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rocks
Re: If you were me....
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:13 AM »
If I were you Id buy a shack.And turn one of your friends on to ice fishing.Dont forget to buy a thankyou card! Good luck and tight lines!
Ice Fishin Rock's!

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:44 AM »
I would say to buy the Vex/Mercom first. With that said , a lot of guys seem to be forgetting about what kind of transportation you have . If you were to buy a shanty first , how would you get it to and from the lake? If you happen to drive a pick up , van or a decent sized station wagon you shouldn't have any problems . Now on the other hand if you only have a compact car w/ a small trunk I can see a small problem arising , unless you want to pull a small trailer behind .

Buy the Vex/Mercom first . You can always make some kind of a windbreak that you can assemble and dismantle fairly quickly for transporting , to make your time on the ice a little more bearable

just my 2 cents worth.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:09 AM »
I think you need both a vex and a shanty.  If you shop around you can get a used vex in the paper or on e-bay(vexilar also sells refurbs) If you fish by yourself get a sled type pull-over shanty. These are easy to use, pull, load and unload. I have a Shappell Rover and love it. I also have an old fl-8 vex and don't see any reason to up date. (or spend $400)
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:51 AM »
$500??................Both:  VEX (FL-18 $400) and Shanty (I have a cabelas deluxe.  The price is ~ $120.  At the end of the season, they mark it down to $80.00.  It is portable and roomy (6 x 5 x 6).  I can set it up in about 1 min.  The one caveat is you must build the floor (plywood and 2 x2's  easy!).  Otherwise, look for a good used fish trap or otter portable.

Good luck ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2004, 08:54 PM »
 Thanks for all the input guys.  ;D ;D it helped me make my decision, im gunna search around for the best deal on a vex, and buy me a fishtrap scout, because i already went on a jig buying spree earlier this month im all set with jigs, for now  ;)  Again thanks alot guys. Now i know why i love this site so much  ;D
Jason

Eric

« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:46 PM »
Marcum LX-3. Then I'd save for a nice flip-style shelter, like the Frabill Rangers.

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2004, 01:14 PM »
There are used Vex's and shanties for sale everywhere.  Go buy a used one and save a lot of CASH and spend the rest of your money on something else or save it.  With $500 you could easily buy them both if you look around!

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 17, 2004, 01:39 PM »
hey im new to this so i would have to say get the electronics i got a portable fish finder last yera for 50 bucks was like 200 almost but was on clearance and was the display model so the really dropped the price any way dont forget that thank you it will come in handy down the road

UnderCoverBrother

« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2004, 02:27 PM »
Get the Vex for sure, if you don't buy a new portable house now, then wait for the end of the ice fishing season and watch the closeouts at the stores when they try to get rid of them!

Offline wkules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lookin' for EYES!!!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2004, 02:38 PM »
Start with the electronics, but shop around. You should be able to get both but the flasher is more important.
JMO ;D
Bobbers Down and Flags Up !!!

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2004, 04:31 PM »
Put it into the college fund, become a doctor (so you can treat black-phoenix when he has another day like today!) and then you can buy all the ice fishing equipment the world has to offer!  Or, buy a nice flasher, fish like there's no tomorrow and enjoy life like the rest of us working boys!  :>)  By the way, Happy Birthday!!!
Holppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:27 PM »
 Well guess what guys  ;D, went to Syracuse this weekend to my dads house to have xmas (parents divorced so we have it early) and i guess he read what i posted on here because underneith the tree this morning when i got up was a new Clam 2000  ;D ;D ;D so now im deffinately goin with the Vex.  ;D I had it all set up in the living room a couple times, now i just need to get it out on the ice.
Jason

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:41 PM »
go with the shack he who is comfortable fishes longer.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2004, 10:47 PM »
you lucky dog congrats now get out and catch some fish

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2004, 02:25 AM »
well then i guess that wraps up this thread :D!!congrats on your new toys!!see, you can have your cake and eat it too!!

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 20, 2004, 01:43 PM »
Santa says ....you have been a good boy ... good luck getting the Vex and have fun this year

mike
Git - R - Done !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.