The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shanty Build 2017  (Read 1214 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Shanty Build 2017
« on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:59 PM »
With my ice shanty on its last year due to a rotted frame I am beginning the process of plotting my next build. I recently acquired a 12X101 sno-pro aluminum trailer. It is rated for 2200lb and weighs 525. That gives me roughly 1700lb to work with, but I would like to possibly use it as an ATV transport as well. That said I am looking for some ideas form you folks. I know there is a build area on the main site, but really just need ideas for local sourcing of materials cheap. I would like to have it vented propane, and want to use aluminum siding, and luan for the inside. I want to use 2X2 frame, or use metal studs with 1.5 inch foam board as insulation. I am trying to source things as reasonably as possible, and am just looking for ideas from you folks on keeping it light and as cheap and durable as possible.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shanty Build 2017
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I'm not sure how much aluminum siding costs, but I sided my shanty for cheap using fiberglass sheets from this guy on craigslist - http://nh.craigslist.org/mat/5943548672.html

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:12 PM »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE T!!! That is why this forum rocks! I had looked online at fiberglass siding and found that the stuff for like campers was 80-90 a sheet for 4X8. This is way more economical than that. do you know what the panels you got weighed?

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:49 PM »
There's a place on Pine St in Burlington that 'de-constructs' older houses and sells the lumber, hardware,electrical fittings, and they also get donated things like kitchen units when somebody is remodelling.   You'll find most anything there,  sort of a GoodWill shop for lumber.  It's called Rebuild, a non-profit keeping building materials out of the waste stream.  I resided my shed with cedar siding for real cheap.

gofish33

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:51 PM »
That fiberglass stuff shatters like glass when cold.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:04 PM »
I have never heard of fiberglass shattering... seems if it didnt handle cold well they wouldnt make snowmobile hoods out of it.

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:19 PM »
to keep the weight down I would use just luan for the outside, Paint it & it should last for years. Word of advice if i may, pay attention to your hitch area where it meets the main frame. I built one years ago on a pop-up frame & it broke pulling it down the road. A little reinforcement may be needed. Good luck & throw some pics on!!
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:03 PM »
I have never heard of fiberglass shattering... seems if it didnt handle cold well they wouldnt make snowmobile hoods out of it.
Didn't work on my shanty but hey just trying to help.
Ended up replacing it with aluminum sheeting 24" wide.
No problems in 7 years yet.

Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I was not trying to question your experience, I have just never heard of fiberglass shattering. I have heard bad things about vinyl siding, but fiberglass from the research I have done seems popular on here and is the top of the line siding for RV's. I will go with whatever material hits the magic cost weight durability convergence point. What gauge alum did you use? where did you source it from?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:55 PM »
Don't know the Gauge. Recycled an enclosed trailer that the frame was bad.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:18 PM »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! That is why this forum rocks! I had looked online at fiberglass siding and found that the stuff for like campers was 80-90 a sheet for 4X8. This is way more economical than that. do you know what the panels you got weighed?

They are just over 0.5 lbs per square foot (measuring and weighing a scrap piece). I estimate a 4x8 sheet at 17 lbs. They are pretty rugged. This stuff will not shatter in the cold. I have it on my shanty. I fastened it on with deck screws and finishing washers, although metal roofing screws would be the ticket since they already have the rubber washer. Here is my build post: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=324659.msg3443770#msg3443770

Offline iceman Bartlett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:42 AM »
I just bought a pop up camper for 175$  . 7x13, I used 2x2 for the frame work,vinyl siding,got for free,4big windows,free,I have about $375-$400 in it including what I paid for the camper I did have to buy 2x2 and 2x12x14' planks for benches. And I ran electrical wiring inside. 3 outlets and one light. Good luck.feel free to ask . I'm doing another 7x8 this summer

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:41 AM »
That fiberglass stuff shatters like glass when cold.

??? ::) Your thinking of plexiglass?
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.