The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: BOOTS ! (most important)  (Read 6918 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: BOOTS ! (most important)
« Reply #60 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:38 PM »
x eleventy billion for MUCKS!!  Love em.  No problem slipping when I have my stabilicers strapped to them!  I also use them at the CC canal with the cleats on them, and for hunting but I remove the cleats.

Times another eleventy billion, I too have thrown my korkers on them and rocked them at the canal!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #61 on: Nov 26, 2012, 05:50 PM »
I have been wearing my arctic pros deer hunting and the first time my feet sweat bad they are wet now and setting next to the wood stove just isn't drying them. My feet are froze after 2 hours. What should i do my feet are going to sweat on the way out to fish then be cold?
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #62 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I have been wearing my arctic pros deer hunting and the first time my feet sweat bad they are wet now and setting next to the wood stove just isn't drying them. My feet are froze after 2 hours. What should i do my feet are going to sweat on the way out to fish then be cold?

Wrong socks my friend.  My guess is you had cotton socks on?

Offline gadabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:45 PM »
I know I will get some crap for this but here goes. I wear ugg boots. No not the ones the girls wear but lace up leather waterproof ones. They weren't cheap but damn if they don't keep your feet toasty warm. I will take the busting from my friends who's feet are cold.
Gadabout

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #64 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Wrong socks my friend.  My guess is you had cotton socks on?
Yes reg cotton socks with smart wool over them.
Can anyone recommend a sock to help?
All the heavy socks I have are huge and ride down and bunch in the toe area if i dont wear a regular sock under them.
Thomas Harris

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #65 on: Nov 26, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Yes reg cotton socks with smart wool over them.
Can anyone recommend a sock to help?
All the heavy socks I have are huge and ride down and bunch in the toe area if i dont wear a regular sock under them.
I forget the name of the socks I purchased last year . They are made by Cabela's , they have a new wicking technology . They wick the sweat up through channels to the top of the sock . I don't know if it really works but they seem to work well on cold days. I'm also thinking there is more walking around while hunting? I don't hunt so that's a guess .

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #66 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:01 AM »
Ah see there is the problem, ditch the cotton, it doesnt breath and is making yoy sweat for sure.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:47 AM »
Yes Bob , I believe the Mucks will be my choice . No offense to anyone and their footwear but I will never try Lacrosse after my fishing parters leaked and started faling apart . The Baffin just don't have many great reviews . The Muck seem to have many great reviews and test videos . I'm gonna try the Muck arctic pro extreme (I think thats what their called) But I will be walking in 12" of water for 30 minutes or longer before using them in real life ! If they leak !? Back they go !!
'
My last boots were the lacross.. they were warm.. dry and comfortable... ... they lasted exactly 2 seasons.... I went to use them to winerize my water garden a week ago... they leaked like a seive... upon examination, I found a dozen hair line cracks above the ankle... on both boots.. a little pushing on the "damaged" spot and they opened up.... I've got waders and hip boots and are at least 5 years older.. all are  stored in the same area.. both have been used alot more.. no issues.. so I blame the boots... I'll be ordering mucks today...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline mx3281

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:37 AM »
My boots r so warm I don't wear socks because when they sweat that's when they got cold now I never have a problem. I have boots from sportsmen's guide that r 2400 grams they r the best I've ever had and only cost $90

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 18, 2012, 12:35 PM »
I would have bought Mucks, but they don't fit me. I have calves the size of some peoples waist. The LaCrosse Alpha Burlys however fit nice, so I'm gonna see if they work for me. I hear both good and bad about all boots, but a lot of people I trust have had great luck with the LaCrosse AB's.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:46 PM »
I picked up Rocky's two seasons ago for deal at Dick's. With a good pair of socks they are extremely warm. No complaints with them. They were 800g thinsulate in the camo design.  :tipup:
Cheers,

Pete

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Dec 18, 2012, 03:05 PM »
I found all other boots not up to par because they are too short.  Insualtion this amd that doesn't matyer if theres 10" of slop to walk through.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:33 PM »
Mickey boots from sportsmnas guide. Never had a problem with them.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 19, 2012, 06:29 AM »
I have been sporting these field and stream 600s for many years... this is my 3rd pair in 12+years... perfect!

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #74 on: Dec 19, 2012, 04:17 PM »
I have been sporting these field and stream 600s for many years... this is my 3rd pair in 12+years... perfect!
(Image removed from quote.)

Flaggs!
2 friends tried those, both said they cracked after one season! I'm good.

Offline clopes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:30 PM »
I know I will get some crap for this but here goes. I wear ugg boots. No not the ones the girls wear but lace up leather waterproof ones. They weren't cheap but damn if they don't keep your feet toasty warm. I will take the busting from my friends who's feet are cold.

Well if Brady can wear them why can't we...Of course I'm sure they match your outfit.  ;D ;D ;D
Sorry couldn't pass that up. I'm a Lacrosse man. Picked them up last season and they've been good to me so far.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #76 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:56 AM »

2X one season on mine and in the trash they went ???
I got muck arc pro last year but I need a boot dryer my feet sweat the boots get wet and stay wet for weeks.
Thomas Harris

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:49 AM »
2X one season on mine and in the trash they went ???
I got muck arc pro last year but I need a boot dryer my feet sweat the boots get wet and stay wet for weeks.

I love my boot dryer. Maxx Dry XL. You can run it with our without heat, I've never had wet boots when I wake up since I got it. Warms them up nice before you put them on, too.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:11 AM »
A boot dryer is one of those things you consider optional- until you own one. I could not live without my boot dryer. It's possible that my boot dryer sees more use than my oven. This is the one I have, got it a Cabelas, same one NY Sporty has.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/MaxxDry-XL8482-Boot-Glove-Dryer/732920.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dboot%2Bdryer%26x%3D13%26y%3D4%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=boot+dryer&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline clopes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 20, 2012, 11:02 AM »
Yup. Love the boot dryer and the one I have also has a spot for gloves which is also very helpful. My old one was just heat no fan but this one really works quickly. Even if you put it on in the morning for a bit before you head out it'll dry them out quickly.

Offline striper50trout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #80 on: Dec 20, 2012, 11:45 AM »
I love my boot drier. I use mine everyday, even in the summer.
Helps keep the stank out of my boots/sneakers as well.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 20, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Muck Arctic Pros work great for me.  Light soft and comfortable. 

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:10 PM »
LaCrosse Ice Kings.

10mm pacs. Not the 9mm or.375" but 10mm.

I must have over 20 years on my pair.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Thats what happened when I had to replace my first pair after only 2 seasons. I wrote a letter and sent the cracked boots to F&S and they replaced them and made storage reccomendations. They cracked on the top front of the ankle, at a seam. My first pair, I stored them in my shed (gets real hot in the summer) and like an old tire, they got weather cracks and only lasted 2 seasons. Now, (based on what 'they' reccomended)I keep them in my basement and spray them with a conditioner (like an armor all spray) before putting them away...  no problems... I like these because they are quite warm and more importantly, come half way up my shin. For me the price is right, for what I get... to each his own   ;)

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline highvoltagejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:09 PM »
I would recommend the Trans Alaskan Pac boot.  Well worth the money. Never get cold feet on the ice with these. Just wear a light weight smart-wool sock. Been wearing them in the woods during hunting season. Sitting still for 8 hours in a tree stand and my feet are still very comfy. Little wobbly because of the 2" high sole but does the job.

Offline Groverat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:45 PM »

My wife and a good friend of ours got these for me. :)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #86 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:29 PM »
All opinions are greatly appreciated, let me just say again that Warmth has never been an issue. I only care about 150% WATERTIGHT, Not resistant! I would like to get one of those boot dryer machines. I hang my boots on the wall upside down just above my radiator and place the liners on the radiator. Dry in no time. But I would like the boot dryer :-) I'm gonna try the muck, if I don't like them, I will just return them.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #87 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:52 PM »
All opinions are greatly appreciated, let me just say again that Warmth has never been an issue. I only care about 150% WATERTIGHT, Not resistant! I would like to get one of those boot dryer machines. I hang my boots on the wall upside down just above my radiator and place the liners on the radiator. Dry in no time. But I would like the boot dryer :-) I'm gonna try the muck, if I don't like them, I will just return them.

You may want to check the woody max if you don't get cold feet easy, they will work well for you in spring and fall my arc pro's are too warm in bow season to walk allot in. the only con to muck is they slide easy I put 1/2 inch hex head screws in of mine now I can walk up a tree.
Thomas Harris

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 22, 2012, 12:18 AM »
i just got a peet boot dryer and i honestly dont know how i lived with out it. my feet sweat bad. my sneakers and boots always stink. i was just used to putting on wet shoes/boots everyday. after you put them on the dryer its like putting on a knew pair of boots every day. i love it.
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline looking for the fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 22, 2012, 06:16 AM »
i like my Micky mouse boots they are warm and waterproof and they didn't cost me a arm  and leg i got mine last year for 29.00 brand new on some army surplus  site

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.