Author Topic: Arctic Armour Quality/Customer service problem?  (Read 8977 times)

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Arctic Armour Quality/Customer service problem?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 15, 2012, 10:46 AM »
I just can't justify going out and buying a Striker because of how poorly my AA suit is made.

FYI, the Striker suits are marked down big time right now.  You can get the Striker Ice and the Ice Lite for under $200 at Korky's and Redrock.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 16, 2012, 04:51 AM »
As of yesterday my arctic armour is falling apart I bet its a slippery slope from here, it did last almost an entire year!  F'ing JUNK!!!  I am done buying junk, how good is the striker suit?  Is it the best that's out there? I don't mind paying extra for the something that will last, I am only interested in a icefishing suit that floats.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline finnbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:20 AM »
FYI, the Striker suits are marked down big time right now.  You can get the Striker Ice and the Ice Lite for under $200 at Korky's and Redrock.
Thanks Cuz, I am going to buy the Striker parka to start and then get the bibs later. From everything I have read here the Striker seems like the best ice fishing floater - Of course there are very expensive real survival suits, but those seem like too much bulk and way too much money.

The Striker sure seems like it's the best and even if it does fail in some way - from what I hear they really back their product.
Too many lakes
Too little time

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Thanks Cuz, I am going to buy the Striker parka to start and then get the bibs later. From everything I have read here the Striker seems like the best ice fishing floater - Of course there are very expensive real survival suits, but those seem like too much bulk and way too much money.

The Striker sure seems like it's the best and even if it does fail in some way - from what I hear they really back their product.

Yes, Striker backs their product extremely well.  I had a problem with the lining in the crotch pulling apart after only a few uses (Lite suit).  I called Shawn, he was aware of this problem (only an isolated problem) and he took care of me in a matter of days.  The few other reports I heard of the same issue, all customers were very happy with the outcome after talking to Shawn. 

Like I say, every company seems to have issues with their products from time to time, what's important to me is what the company is willing to do to make a customer happy after the sale should an issue arise.  Striker Brand has this mastered.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:30 AM »
As of yesterday my arctic armour is falling apart I bet its a slippery slope from here, it did last almost an entire year!  F'ing JUNK!!!  I am done buying junk, how good is the striker suit?  Is it the best that's out there? I don't mind paying extra for the something that will last, I am only interested in a icefishing suit that floats.

I can't say for certain that the Striker suits are the best out there, I have never owned another suit for personal comparison.  But I have been more than happy with the Lite suit so far.  I think knowing that Shawn stands behind his product is great peace of mind.  Sounds like you don't necessarily get that anymore with AA.  If I lost my suit today, I would be on the 'net buying a new one tomorrow.

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 17, 2012, 03:05 PM »
I love my striker lite floating suit, I have worn it quite a few time this year even I blowing winds with temps in the teens and it was plenty warm.  I have had no quality issues with it, my suit appears to be very well made I would recommend it to anyone looking for a floating suit. One of my favorite options of the suit are the pit vents helps keep me just the right temp.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline NEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:41 PM »
Bought an AA red parka and bibs this year and have not worn them enough to really break them in, and the lining in the Parka sleeves down at the cuff, is shredded on both sleeves and the welt seam on the neoprene cuffs has all come unravelled. Now - I have had other parkas that never showed that much wear on the lining and I used them hard for over ten years hunting in Alaska. That kind of wear - so soon - is just unacceptable.  On another note - the AA people should definitely not advertise this suit as being breathable. It is plenty warm and the bibs are just fine - but breathable - it aint. The only time I have ever seen this much condensation inside a garment, is in a rubber raincoat. I phoned the Company the other day and was told to send the parka to the retailer where I purchased it - and they would make a determination on how to handle it. The company guy sounded kind of snotty too. I do regret buying this outfit and will look into buying a different set for next year.
Warren

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:53 PM »
try a Striker Ice suit.  I beat the hell out of mine this year and it's stood up well.  I have a TINY unravelling at the crotch seam - I emailed Shawn at striker (who also provided excellent pre-sales support answering all my questions) and he replied within a couple hours and is taking care of everything at my convenience - now that's hard to beat!  ;D
Tight lines

Offline finnbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 07, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Bought an AA red parka and bibs this year and have not worn them enough to really break them in, and the lining in the Parka sleeves down at the cuff, is shredded on both sleeves and the welt seam on the neoprene cuffs has all come unravelled. Now - I have had other parkas that never showed that much wear on the lining and I used them hard for over ten years hunting in Alaska. That kind of wear - so soon - is just unacceptable.  On another note - the AA people should definitely not advertise this suit as being breathable. It is plenty warm and the bibs are just fine - but breathable - it aint. The only time I have ever seen this much condensation inside a garment, is in a rubber raincoat. I phoned the Company the other day and was told to send the parka to the retailer where I purchased it - and they would make a determination on how to handle it. The company guy sounded kind of snotty too. I do regret buying this outfit and will look into buying a different set for next year.

Like I said before in this thread, the AA suit is about the same as wearing a plastic bag, all the sweat you build up has no place to go, there are no vents in the crotch or pits and the bibs don't unzip high enough up the leg either. The only thing that is not like a plastic bag about AA is it is definitely not water proof - well not like a plastic bag.... mine soaked though in about an hour on a rain mixed with snow spring day. And like you said - they were snotty to me on the phone - very condescending. From day one - the zipper was hard to start. I sent it back to the retailer, I waited about a month and got the parka back with the same zipper and same problem. BUY THE STRIKER ! I am very disgusted with my Arctic Armor by iDi gear - I would like to sell mine - but don't want to saddle another person with this POS.
I am very sorry you had to find out the hard way - like the rest of us.
Too many lakes
Too little time

surflizard

« Reply #69 on: Mar 07, 2012, 05:09 PM »
I had the AA plus suit last year and I took the $350.00 hit on it and pretty much gave it away, it was nothing but trouble from the get go ! The Striker ice Lite suit has stood up to 30 MPH winds the weekend of the 25th and hours of soaking rain this last Saturday and it has kept me warm and dry from day one, Striker ice suits in my opinion are the best suits available today !!

Offline NEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 08, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Like I said before in this thread, the AA suit is about the same as wearing a plastic bag, all the sweat you build up has no place to go, there are no vents in the crotch or pits and the bibs don't unzip high enough up the leg either. The only thing that is not like a plastic bag about AA is it is definitely not water proof - well not like a plastic bag.... mine soaked though in about an hour on a rain mixed with snow spring day. And like you said - they were snotty to me on the phone - very condescending. From day one - the zipper was hard to start. I sent it back to the retailer, I waited about a month and got the parka back with the same zipper and same problem. BUY THE STRIKER ! I am very disgusted with my Arctic Armor by iDi gear - I would like to sell mine - but don't want to saddle another person with this POS.
I am very sorry you had to find out the hard way - like the rest of us.
Thanks finnbear - I appreciate that. Now that the season is almost over, I'm going to send it back and see what they will do for me. Then, I will try to sell it and buy a striker Ice suit. If I cant sell it, I will just wear the bibs next year with a Cabelas down parka on top. I really don't need the floatation, as I don't fish thin ice or take chances. It just aint worth it to me!
Warren

Offline NEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Mar 22, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Just got off the phone with the customer service guy from Arctic Armor (IDIgear), and the guy as much as called me a liar when I told him what I wore under the parka. He claimed that I wore something abrasive that snagged on the cuffs, rather than admit that the lining material was defective. How can insulated underwear and a wool sweater be considered abrasive? What a nasty - condescending jerk this guy was. This was the absolute worst customer service call I have ever experienced and will certainly never deal with these people  - ever again!!!!! 
  I finally just gave up arguing with the guy and told him to send the parka back to me and forget it.  I am going to go on every outdoor website I can find and tell this story.
  Stick to Striker Ice folks - I'm going to somehow get rid of the AA suit, even if I have to burn it, and get a Striker Ice suit for next year. I will never wear a piece of Arctic Armor gear again after this experience.
Warren

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Mar 31, 2012, 04:47 PM »
I have owned the Arctic Armor suit for a couple years, and I have to say that I am not overly impressed.  The jacket is quite good - comfortable, lightweight, reasonably comfortable and surprisingly warm for its weight.  The bibs are another matter altogether!  I tried both the small and the medium on for size, the small fit reasonably well, but the legs are too snug, and the extra padding for the knees binds.  The medium was huge, at least 2 or 3 sizes bigger than the small.  So I ended up with the small.  The bibs are not particularly waterproof, my butt has been wet every time I have gone out in this gear.  For some reason, I find that the bibs are too uncomfortable to wear, and they haven't left the closet in over a year.  My wife likes the jacket, though, so I don't get to wear it anymore either.  I am planning to check out the Striker Ice real soon!

Offline fishing mechanic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Apr 10, 2012, 05:16 AM »
I have owned the Arctic Armor suit for a couple years, and I have to say that I am not overly impressed.  The jacket is quite good - comfortable, lightweight, reasonably comfortable and surprisingly warm for its weight.  The bibs are another matter altogether!  I tried both the small and the medium on for size, the small fit reasonably well, but the legs are too snug, and the extra padding for the knees binds.  The medium was huge, at least 2 or 3 sizes bigger than the small.  So I ended up with the small.  The bibs are not particularly waterproof, my butt has been wet every time I have gone out in this gear.  For some reason, I find that the bibs are too uncomfortable to wear, and they haven't left the closet in over a year.  My wife likes the jacket, though, so I don't get to wear it anymore either.  I am planning to check out the Striker Ice real soon!

There is a smurf suit made in the XL size on sale right now! Off season extravaganza. My suit does everything the salesman said it would......except for melting a pant leg on the heater buddy.  And I like it.      I also spend 2 to 3 days on the ice a week.

Raining like crazy this day.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #74 on: Apr 10, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Questions...

In other states, what sort of life preservers are you required to have on your boat? Here it's the traditional vest style. I can only guess it must be something that straps to your ankles from what I'm reading in this thread.
I only ask this because I've seen countless comments about running around on the ice without your floating jacket on. Unless you can breathe out of your butt, why would you want your lower half to have floatation priority? Honestly, I'd rather take my chances without. There's other ways to protect yourself if you go in. Make sure your boots are only laced and tied tight enough to shuck off with your feet. Mine have been tied for years, they slip on and off nicely. Can ditch the bibs next if necessary for getting out. 

Buy a suit you really want to wear and invest in a 90 or 100 dollar pair of SOSpenders during the thin ice season. If you own a boat, you may already have them! Then you can run around with just your bibs on and truly feel safe. AA suits sound like a QA trainwreck over the years, and are only valid for a very thin slice of ice fishing season (unless you live in a thin ice state).

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Apr 11, 2012, 06:08 AM »
thats why I have both the floatation suit and the AA suit for warmth.

Offline NEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Apr 11, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Questions...

In other states, what sort of life preservers are you required to have on your boat? Here it's the traditional vest style. I can only guess it must be something that straps to your ankles from what I'm reading in this thread.
I only ask this because I've seen countless comments about running around on the ice without your floating jacket on. Unless you can breathe out of your butt, why would you want your lower half to have floatation priority? Honestly, I'd rather take my chances without. There's other ways to protect yourself if you go in. Make sure your boots are only laced and tied tight enough to shuck off with your feet. Mine have been tied for years, they slip on and off nicely. Can ditch the bibs next if necessary for getting out. 

Buy a suit you really want to wear and invest in a 90 or 100 dollar pair of SOSpenders during the thin ice season. If you own a boat, you may already have them! Then you can run around with just your bibs on and truly feel safe. AA suits sound like a QA trainwreck over the years, and are only valid for a very thin slice of ice fishing season (unless you live in a thin ice state).
Best idea I've read in quite awhile Trooper. I do have a nice SOSpenders vest and I will keep the AA Bibs till they wear out because I do like the thick waterproof knee pads. Thanks again for the idea.
Warren

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #77 on: Jun 07, 2012, 06:32 AM »

I bought the AA suit right after Xmas & fished @ least 4 days a week till sometime in March, I stayed warm & dry w/no problems w/the suit chaffing or tearig, I couldn't be happier w/it. But reading all the complaints I will keep an eye on it in the up coming season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.