Poll

What suit/outerwear do you use while ice fishing?

Clam Corp Ice Armor
55 (17.6%)
IDI Gear Arctic Armor
57 (18.3%)
Snosuit
11 (3.5%)
Carhartt outerwear
63 (20.2%)
Cabela's outerwear
22 (7.1%)
Gander Mountain outerwear
1 (0.3%)
Columbia outerwear
5 (1.6%)
Strikemaster outerwear
6 (1.9%)
Vexilar outerwear
9 (2.9%)
Other outerwear
69 (22.1%)
Mustang suit
14 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 304

Author Topic: POLL - What suit/outerwear do you use?  (Read 17846 times)

Offline hardwterhunter79

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: POLL - What suit/outerwear do you use?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 31, 2009, 12:13 AM »
i got the ice armor suit the grey an black one and i swear by it. pair jeans n short sleeve shirt and the suit with some good boots and ur def plenty warm.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #31 on: Oct 31, 2009, 10:13 AM »
for now i wear carharts bibs and parka with a fuzzy hood for the colder days, i'd like to get some sort of bibs prolly strike master, i just hate when the carharts absorb water,kills my back and shoulders

Offline pat2469

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On
« Reply #32 on: Nov 11, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Carhart but hope to get something that isn't a water sponge.  I would probably get the camo IDI so it can be used for more things besides ice fishing.  Now if I can only come up with some cash.

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 11, 2009, 02:02 PM »
I absolutely love my blue suit!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Strikemaster suit very very very warm

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:48 PM »
just got the ice armor blue suit this week.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Strikemaster suit. Cant say enough about it, its awesome.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #37 on: Nov 11, 2009, 09:30 PM »
I currently have the guidewear insulated bibs. I have just ordered an ice armor x suit to keep me a tad warmer when riding the quad.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Water_Wizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:41 PM »
Mustang Ice Rider ;D

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Vexilar original suit.

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 25, 2009, 04:47 PM »
I have an Arctic Armor suit. I'd never heard of it until a buddy of mine won a jacket at a hunt test raffle. The jacket was too big for him, so I got it from him for a song  ;D.

I've used the suit and jacket alone on the coldest days we've had here so far this year on the water/shore, where the temps were below freezing. My opinion of Arctic Armor to this point:

1. Warmth. The product is incredibly warm. In fact, on some of the days I've been out fishing in November where it was windy, blowing sleet and nasty, I was very comfortable. If it isn't below freezing in my experience, I find I'm actually too warm. I'd personally stick with the non-tricot lined suit, since the tricot would make it hard to pull the suit on over base layers, and I don't think I would ever need the added warmth of the tricot lining given how freaking warm this stuff has proven itself to be to me so far.

2. Weight: Very light clothing. When I first tried the jacket, I figured it would be a good Fall and Spring beater, but too light for the winter. Was I wrong. The insulation they use is just very, very effective, and the whole setup is incredibly light.

3. Floatation: What I like very much about this is that the suit will float 700 lbs if you go through the ice. With a set of forearm grippers or around-the-neck hand spikes, you may actually live to fish another day if you went through. Best of course is to avoid going through in the first place.

Overall, I would see this as an outstanding ice fishing setup. It is a well-built product, with lots of pockets, good hood design and coverage, and a comfortable fit. The outer shell doesn't seem to be as evidently rip-proof as something like my Rivers West hunting shell, but then short of Kevlar, probably nothing is.....Most ice fishing suits out there are outstanding in the weight-to-warmth ratio, and they are likely very warm. I bought a pair of Clam fishing glvoes and have been very impressed with the warmth and the fact they really are waterproof. Most well-known brands are going to sell a good suit. For me, the deal maker for AA is that it floats. It isn't rated like a Mustang suit, but it will float a lot of weight if you happen to walk through thin ice.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Arctic Armor suit, and I look forward to using it on the ice. I think it will really excell where a warm, windproof, waterproof garment is needed for long exposure to very cold temperatures during a low-activity pursuit.

Drawbacks: Only drawback I can see is that it doesn't breathe very well. This isn't a G-tex suit designed for back country snowshoeing with a pack; its a waterproof suit that will float you if you go through the ice, and that will keep you really warm as you stand around in a cold environment for extended periods. When I've been shore fishing this Fall, on the biting days, I find myself to have been very toasty just standing there casting into the cold winds, looking for that Muskie..........If I walk around for a bit, I need to open it up and open the neoprene wrist closures or I get way too warm.

Best,

Chris

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #41 on: Nov 26, 2009, 05:57 AM »
Solar, a pair of forearm grippers???
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 26, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Wow. That one just got saved to my fav's. For 15 bucks they seem like a no-brainer. They seem like they would be much better than ice picks.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #45 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:30 PM »
Carhart Arctic/Extreme bibs and coat along with MickeyMouse Boots.  Usually layered with a carhart hoodie and BDU pants. 

I'll wear pac mittens when moving around from spot to spot but otherwise the gloves are usually off.  I keep hand warmers in my pockets and grab onto those when my fingers get too cold.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:48 PM »
arctic carhartts with hood, long johns, sweatshirt/flannel, 1200g rockys,

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:11 PM »
I wear my Choko Designs bibs and parka snowmobile ensemble coupled with some very good snowmobiling boots.
Here I am modeling the parka on a beautiful spring day!!!!   ;D

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 28, 2009, 12:34 PM »
I was out on the pier fishing this morning, 39F/4C, with wind of 20mph, for a windchill of 30F. I was wearing my Arctic Armor top, Cabela windproof fleece cargo pants, Clam Ice Armor gloves and Muck shoes. My fingerptips actually got cold in the gloves, I had to change into my Lacross Alpha Burly boots as my feet got cold, but the legs were fine and the Arctic Armor was like wearing sheet metal; you could feel the wind chewing in, but there was no feeling of being cold whatsoever.

And I got a nice big pike on a Mepps Giant Killer (firetiger).

FYI,

Chris

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
« Reply #49 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:04 AM »
carharts, bibs and jacket
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline moshpitbull

• IceShanty Rookie
  • no shrimp
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:33 AM »
carhart
dude, it looks like you painted black stripes on the backs of the baitfish!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #51 on: Jul 18, 2010, 09:42 PM »
I used to wear the Carhartt insulated coat/bibs.  They get wet quick, especially when fishing tip ups or when kneeling often, as I do.  I picked up the Strikemaster suit last fall at a local ice fishing show.  It's like wearing a fish house, I am extremely comfortable and dry.  Many pockets to hold GPS, gloves, tackle, anything really.  Something like 14 pockets between the jacket and bibs.  No need to layer, pants and a long sleeve shirt are all you need if chasing tip ups or hole hopping.  A few web sites are offering them for over half off still, time to get yourself some stay warm this winter!

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:05 AM »
I have been using a blue suit for a few years, I absolutely love it for comfort and warmth.  I am thinking of getting an arctic armor just for the floatability (if thats a word)  Does any arctic armor users have any negative comments on it? The only thing that I have ever heard was that the knees could be thicker, but Ive never seen them so I don't know how they compare to the ice armor suits.
Thanks

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Have always worn wool. Warn with a layer of hot chillies under it I'm good to 20 below. Add a sweatshirt and warmups for the really cold stuff....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #54 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:53 PM »
I have been using a blue suit for a few years, I absolutely love it for comfort and warmth.  I am thinking of getting an arctic armor just for the floatability (if thats a word)  Does any arctic armor users have any negative comments on it? The only thing that I have ever heard was that the knees could be thicker, but Ive never seen them so I don't know how they compare to the ice armor suits.
Thanks

I think we argued/complained about it in another thread.  Something like, lack of shoulder room, not the most manaueverable suit, total sweat collection suana, snow/ice sticks onto suit easy, and personally the bib's pockets are in the way if you put anything in them.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #55 on: Jul 22, 2010, 08:03 PM »
got an a red/black arctic armour bib and parka....love it

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jul 22, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Black Carhart and Mickey Mouse boots.

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #57 on: Jul 23, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Old school Walls cold weather pants, NOT WATERPROOF so I kneel down and they sop up the water. Other than that they are great. I use a Columbia jacket up top. I am kind of hodge podge but I can't justify a nice suite yet.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jul 23, 2010, 05:34 PM »
The old blue ice armour suit for me, for the real cold days.   Otherwise a pair of stearns rain bibs and a pull over hooded sweater for the warmer days.

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #59 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Mossy oak bibs and 2 layered coat.  Very nice and warm for 6 seasons in NJ/NY/PA

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.