Author Topic: ht bait safe  (Read 560 times)

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
ht bait safe
« on: Dec 06, 2014, 05:30 PM »
just picked up a bait safe container and was wonder if i should store my bait (spikes) in the shop or the fridge

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ht bait safe
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Bait usually likes more consistent temps so the fridge is usually best.

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2014, 07:19 PM »
is it not a good idea to mix spikes and meal worms in the same container  ???

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Spikes like cold. around 38-40 degrees. waxies closer to 50

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:05 AM »
I like to keep my spikes in a double ziplock bag in the fridge keeping it around 35 degrees. Squeeze most of the air out of the bags and they will stay fresh a little longer. The mealworms like the same temperature. I wouldn't mix the 2 baits together. Always pick out the dead spikes to keep the rest fresh. The HT hard core bait pucks are great! I use them when out on the ice. I only keep what I think I will use on the ice in the HT containers and keep the rest of my bulk spikes in the ziplock bags. I keep my waxworms, in the plastic cup they came in, on a cool window sill out of the sun or in the basement. The perfect temp for waxies is around 45 degrees. Again pick out the dead ones every few days. Mealworms can last several months or better. Waxies can last a few months and Spikes a month or better. I find the plain white and red colored spikes last longer than any other colors.  Don't forget to double bag the spikes to keep them from escaping in your fridge! Nobody I know likes maggots in their salad!  ;D ;D ;D  :o :o :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.