Author Topic: Tip ups or running and gunning?  (Read 409 times)

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tip ups or running and gunning?
« on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:58 AM »
I love tip ups, however I think they bog me down , after a couple of hours of non action, my jigging holes not working out either, now you got a crowd out there etc. You guys do either or?  I am thinking of just taking a couple of tip ups, move around till I find fish and park there for a while...

Offline markus6898

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip ups or running and gunning?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2011, 12:22 PM »
It is a good strategy. I have done it and been successful!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2011, 03:59 PM »
I think think that just going to one spot and setting out tip-ups is just a way to take it easy and you shouldn't care if you catch fish or not.

If you want action, you should run and gun until you find fish and then set out your TU's.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I had the same dilemma...my solution was to use my local knowledge of what lakes where "tip-up lakes" and which were "jigging lakes" and just stick to that. on tip-up lakes I just use TU's..set up camp and wait 'em out....jigging lakes I run n gun..

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:04 PM »
I tend to fish the same few lakes all the time. I know where the better spots are and I set up and wait for a flag to fly. If I catch fish great, I use my ice time as a therapy session. I like sitting out there watching wildlife and playing cards or just talking with my fishing buds. If you are very serious about catching fish then moving until you find them would be the way to go and then setup. :tipup:
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.