Author Topic: 1 pound refill adaptor leaking.  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
1 pound refill adaptor leaking.
« on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:11 PM »
I filled my big tank and got an adapter early this winter after burning thru 16  store bought 1 pound propanes. I let my empty big tank sit for a month with the adapter still attached in the garage. I took an empty and tryed to empty my big tank in a pinch so I didn't run out a night I was headed out. As soon as I cracked the valve I could smell and hear a leak so I shut ur down left it out side and went fishing
Adapter was tight and actually leaked less backed off a half turn but still leaks. Took it off fill my big tank and as I figured still leaks the o rings looked fine and threads perfect the adapter was bought new and only went on my tank once before the leak .it leaks from the big tank side at the adapter.
 Could this have been caused by leaving my adapter hooked up for a long period? If not that's 20 bucks of wasted money.
FLAG!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 1 pound refill adaptor leaking.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:35 PM »
Do those adapters have a rubber seal on them?  If so it is possible it froze and cracked.
<===Lefty===

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Carl, check your private messages.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:31 PM »
I will check those areas out
FLAG!!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:41 PM »
I have 2 20#pounders with refill adapters that have been on my tanks all year with no leaks.but after reading this im taking them off.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2014, 11:43 PM »
I am interested in one of these refill adapters.  Which one should I buy that will be trouble free?  ???   Thanks  :)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2014, 06:42 AM »
I am interested in one of these refill adapters.  Which one should I buy that will be trouble free?  ???   Thanks  :)

I use the Mr Heater adaptor ...the only leaks I have experienced is from the tank itself ..sometimes that seal will leak upon refilling ...so test them outside if you find a leaker get rid of it ...I got some brass caps for a just in case/ peace of mind thing ...I have had tanks that leaked after the have been on my Mr heater unit I went to take them off for another purpose ..think mostly from getting condensation and that freezing casing either a bad seal or a cracked seal .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2014, 10:18 AM »
So how are people filling their tanks, by leaving the main tank right side up and putting vapor into the 1 pound tanks or tipping the main tank and filling them with liquid?   I think originally, they come with 1 pound (approximately) of liquid in them.  If they are filled with liquid, how do you tell how much to put in?  Do you weigh the tanks to be 1 pound plus the weight of the tank?  I like the metal screw on cap idea for safety. ;)  That may be a good idea for partially emptied tanks that a person takes off of a device so it would keep the remainder in the tank from seeping out until the next use. ;)  Any other thoughts on any of this?  Thanks   :)

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Use a digital scale and weight a empty 1lber.   Put empty 1lber in freezer for 20 min.  attatch to big tank & flipover (valve on bottom) open valve for 1 min. Then reweight 1lb   tank on scale. If over filled you can bleed off by pushing tank stem.BE SURE TO DO THIS OUTSIDE. EXMP.( Empty tank .94 lbs + 1lb gas= 1.94 total weight.)
Bob P.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Thanks for the info., BobOLink ! ;)

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2014, 01:57 PM »
Your welcome
Bob P.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2014, 11:52 PM »
Got my mother in law keeping her empty one # tanks that they use on a coleman grill. This way I can throw some of the older tanks. One of the best thinks I did was start refilling these tanks. I keep two milk crates (18 cans) in my garage and usually refill  one crate at a time when I get a 20 # re-filled.  Maybe it's just me but I feel like I can bet a fairly good fill on 9 tanks out of a 20# tank, but if I try to do more it seems like they don't fill near as well after taking 9# out of a 20# tank.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2014, 11:44 PM »
Like everything else here everybody's got their own system and what works for one may or may not work for others. Beauty of the Shanty IMO.  Last year I was trying to spark the buddy off a refilled 1'r and things got crappy in the Summit pretty quickly.   Very cold -18 at 6:30 when I rolled in.  Threaded on the bottle, hit sparky 3x and damn if half the shack wasn't a fireball.  I tossed it out the door and ran like hell the other way and watched heater and bottle burn for some time.  No explosion which is at least some testament to its design. Heater melted some but actually still worked.  Wife made me buy a new buddy because I'm "stupid and cheap" by nature. Consider I used a digi food scale set to grams for the refill process so it wasn't overfilled and it was the first time this bottle was refilled. 

I'm done though.  Got a 5lb cylinder designed for refill and a bulk hose with filter set up now.  Keep a single virgin 1'r in the truck if the 5 runs out but if you camp in the summer the 5 lasts all week on the converted Coleman so for me it made sense to spend the $.   The fill adapter I'll give away if you can pick up here in CO. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.