Author Topic: River walleys  (Read 729 times)

Offline IcedClam

• IceShanty Rookie
River walleys
« on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Any one have any suggestions how to set tipups for walleye in areas of rivers where there is current thanks

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: River walleys
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Use a stick long enough to get to the bottom of the river.however far from the bottom You want Your hook tie on a leader of line maby 14 to 18 inches long and then Your steel leader with the hook and bait.auger Your hole and shove the stick assembly into the mud or gravel at the bottom of the channel and check them every so often while drinking copious amounts of Your favorite beverages between checks.
BEEEEEEEEE VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEry careful as if there is a current that will cut and make uneven ice You may go for the last dunk of Your life.
Would`nt be a good way to go being carried under the ice by the river current with no open holes to get back up through.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Fishassin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Hustle
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:48 PM »
My advice would be to find a rock or sand bar in the middle and fish where the current breaks at the head and tail of it.  Punch holes in various depths and keep your bait 6-10" off bottom no higher.  The eyes usually try to make their way to the shallowest part come dark.  Think drop shotting for the big ones theres many different ways and Mr Marty stated one of them, a collapsible tent pole might work well for such situation.  You may be able to locate or make your own line pinch like on a planer board.  Here is the method to my madness.

Use only enough weight to keep the set line tight and still release the other line.  The weight should be placed on bottom unlike trolling.
If that doesn't work consider jigging for them with several different lures. Be safe is the number one goal.

Fishassin
FFLLLAAAGGGG, My buddy yells as he just ran over my Tip up.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2008, 01:06 AM »
my advise for what it's worth stay the hell of a river where theres current!!!! fish a lake ,don't become a artical in the news paper no fish is worth taking chances over

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:23 AM »
I believe you set it up like a drop shot rig.
[]

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:24 PM »
I think every river tells it's own story.  I grew up on the St.Croix between MN and WI and it was wide,slow and deep in my neck of the river. There was a highway plowed across at Bayport for factory workers to shave 15 minutes off their commute to Hudson.  Now I live near the Upper Missouri which in all sections besides the reserviors is a no brainer to stay off.  Common sense and just a little effort to learn about local customs and nature's mechanics should prevail.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:47 PM »
I was raised on the Yellowstone and live in the house I was raised in about 1&1/2 blocks from the banks of it.A very dangerous playground when I was a youngster but we all did`nt manage to survive though.The river here is about 8 MPH and a lot of flow and every year it seems to claim a life or two.
Cant recall anyone being lost through the ice but that does`nt mean it wont happen.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.