Author Topic: propane tanks  (Read 4713 times)

Offline ryguy337

• Team IceShanty Regular
propane tanks
« on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:39 PM »
for those people out there that use 1lb tanks what do you do when they are empty? buy new ones? or do you refill them? i just ordered an adapter to refill them and wasnt sure if others have done the same.... thanks

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: propane tanks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:00 PM »
I bought the adapter for refilling about a month ago. Havn't used it yet tho. I have found a lot of info on another site about refilling them.

Offline Grababrewski n fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:08 PM »
I've refilled a lot of them. It works great. Put the 1#ders in the freezer and have a 20#der at room temperature. The cold will help draw the propane into the 1# bottle. I've filled them when they are both cold and you only get about a half a bottl that way. It can save a lot of money over the course of the winter.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:08 PM »
I refill my tanks, I love when people,are @$$ holes, and leave there cans as litter on the lake. I just pick 'em up and refill 'em at home

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:15 PM »
New to this refilling smaller bottles. How do you know when the small bottles are filled?? Guages or do you weigh them??
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline XII Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never fear the night, "The Star" shines bright
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:21 PM »
I have been saving them because I was going to refill them but decided to but a hose and larger tank and tote it with me on to the ice
XII Outdoors............Ti mes-Two Outdoors

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:23 PM »
New to this refilling smaller bottles. How do you know when the small bottles are filled?? Guages or do you weigh them??

Open the valve on the 20 lb for exactly 1 minute and then close it and remove the tank, it will be full......remember to turn the 20lber upside down when filling the 1 lb tank, works great, goodluck  :tipup:

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Thank You for the quick response.  It will be a money saver cause 1 pounders are 3.99 and I get 20lb filled for 12.  I ain't no math wiz but looks  like 20 1 lbs cost  close to 80 .......when 20 only cost 12.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:43 PM »
Thank You for the quick response.  It will be a money saver cause 1 pounders are 3.99 and I get 20lb filled for 12.  I ain't no math wiz but looks  like 20 1 lbs cost  close to 80 .......when 20 only cost 12.

The 1lb cans are a ripp. I've only bought about a dozen but have found at least ten on the ice that are in good shape.  Yeah refilling is tricky untill you get a method down. the 1 minute rule is what i use and OZZY is right about flipping the 20lber upside down.  never tried freezing the 1 lber to draw in more gas though...gotta try it.

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Sometimes the 1 # leaks after the first use unless it's attached to the heater. I've been throwing those out. Is there a fix for those?
A rap with some channel locks or warming them up and a rap with channel locks maybe ??

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:23 PM »
Sometimes the 1 # leaks after the first use unless it's attached to the heater. I've been throwing those out. Is there a fix for those?
A rap with some channel locks or warming them up and a rap with channel locks maybe ??

I've had that problem a few times too, never got around to trying anything to fix it but was thinking if there was someway to lubricate the rubber gasket with something that wouldnt interfere with the propane flow to the heater, anyone have any suggestions?

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:41 PM »
i just throw mine down the hole when they are empty.  no use in keeping them and refilling, they only cost 2.79 for new ones.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:21 PM »
my dad does it all the time but after the 20 lb tank gets down to half he wont fill them anymore and waits for a full tank he also puts the little tanks in the freezer for a day or two he says it workls better

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:38 AM »
i just throw mine down the hole when they are empty.  no use in keeping them and refilling, they only cost 2.79 for new ones.
[/q
uote] 

refill my tanks, I love when people,are @$$ holes, and leave there cans as litter on the lake. I just pick 'em up and refill 'em at home
yea what he says

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:54 AM »
Please say you're not really throwing them down the hole. Recycle them and they will make shiny new lures out of them.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2008, 04:01 AM »
Please say you're not really throwing them down the hole. Recycle them and they will make shiny new lures out of them.
I like the idea of the shiny new lures.I take mine to the Pacific Steel recycling plant where they may get made into only God knows what,I wonder if We could specify what we would like our recycled steel made into.  ;as for throwin em down the holes.  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline InTheRiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:33 AM »
I started refilling this year. For me it works great I leave the 1lb out side (when its cold) and attach my old lantern to ensure there completely empty. I bring full 20lb in the house to let it warm up over night, next I attach the 1lb to the 20lb and flip it upside down and start filling. You can hear the propane transfer and when it stops its full or at least close. I weigh mine, when I am done filling I usually get them within 1-2 OZ only had one so far come up 4oz short. Whats really nice about having the Mac Coupler is that if your 20lb tank runs out you can fill it with a 1lber which gets you about 45-1hr more of run time.

DRR324

« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:51 AM »
You guys don't really believe that he throws them down the hole do you??  He's just messing with ya...
(By the way- they float when empty)

Offline HUNTER16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:54 AM »
Using the small tank, to give the 20# tank a quick charge, is a great idea.  Especially if you're in the middle of grilling steaks, and the big tank runs out.  Just don't think I can get the big one in the freezer. ;D ;D ;D
Happiest when on a frozen lake!

Offline gcrossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2008, 07:18 AM »
LP gas sinks, thus the freezing and upside down thoughts work!  The fuller the 20# the better, i like to lay my 1#er on their side when freezing.  I have found that multiple re-fills may cause a 1#er to leak.   My local Dump takes the #1ers, re-cycle.

Grilling, if big tanks goes, slap on a full one pounder and let it drain into the big tank...quick fix.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2008, 07:37 AM »

Never tap a leaking 1 pound propane tank with anything other then a brass or plastic hammer. You might make a spark. Instead, use a brass punch to gently re-seat the valve stem.

Also, it is not illegal to refill a 1 pounder, but is against federal law to transport them in a motor vehicle. If you get questioned about a cylinder that you refilled, just don't admit to it. There is no way anyone can prove that you refilled......yet.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline InTheRiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2008, 07:46 AM »
Using the small tank, to give the 20# tank a quick charge, is a great idea.  Especially if you're in the middle of grilling steaks, and the big tank runs out.  Just don't think I can get the big one in the freezer. ;D ;D ;D

No need to freeze the big tank, I did it last weekend out on the ice big tank ran empty and it started to get cold, so I add 1lb which really suprised me on how long it lasted with my heater.

Offline BULLdozer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:00 AM »
my dad does it all the time but after the 20 lb tank gets down to half he wont fill them anymore and waits for a full tank he also puts the little tanks in the freezer for a day or two he says it workls better
  When I refilled my 1# tanks I also found once the 20# tank was below half it would not put a full charge into the 1# tanks. Other wise worked great!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:41 AM »
You guys don't really believe that he throws them down the hole do you??  He's just messing with ya...
(By the way- they float when empty)

HA HA had you guys going there didn't i?  no i don't throw them down the hole!  but hey your right they do float cause i tried it before! lol.  i actually wanted to see how many people it would take to catch that.  on a serious note though, i have seen others leaving crap behind and it does bother me too.  later. 
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Myself I got tired of the 1 pounders and bought a 5 pounder that cost little or nothing to fill,carefull on refilling and if you get a leaker then get rid of it before you find your shanty on fire. :tipup:

Offline ryguy337

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2008, 02:02 PM »
how much did you guys/gals pay for the adapter? i bought one for 15$ but shipping was another 7$

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2008, 04:01 PM »
bUY THE ADAPTER AND REFILL YOUR OWN IT ONLY COSTS EIGHTY CENTS TO FILL 1 POUND CYLINDERS VERSES 2.50-3.99. aND BEST OF ALL IS THERE ISNT ANY WASTE.

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #27 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:21 AM »
HA HA had you guys going there didn't i?  no i don't throw them down the hole!  but hey your right they do float cause i tried it before! lol.  i actually wanted to see how many people it would take to catch that.  on a serious note though, i have seen others leaving crap behind and it does bother me too.  later. 

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
some people are just plain slobs makes the rest of us look bad

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:33 AM »

.........and when one leaks and explodes.............. .....................p riceless!!!!!!!!   Propane is no joke.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:43 AM »
Myself I got tired of the 1 pounders and bought a 5 pounder that cost little or nothing to fill,carefull on refilling and if you get a leaker then get rid of it before you find your shanty on fire. :tipup:

Simple, cheap and safe.  Smartest guy on the thread but then he is from New York.  Sell all your adapters on Ebay and charge enough shipping to cover the cost of a 5lb cylinder.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.