Author Topic: finiky fooler tip up?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
finiky fooler tip up?
« on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:51 PM »
I  just received one of these things..Anyone elsehere have one of these?
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: finiky fooler tip up?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:57 PM »
I  just received one of these things..Anyone elsehere have one of these?

I don't but kayl will chip in. He's got a few of 'em  ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:30 PM »
I own two of them.  Haven't used them much though.  I had 8lb floro carbon on one of my rods, and when I set it up in my house to test it, the line would spool out very easy, almost too easy.  I could see this being a problem in heavy wind.  The other rod I am using with the finicky fooler has braid on it, which works much better.  They are a very simple design that plain works. 
I'm really impressed with his hole covers with a rim.  I've used those in temps near 0° and my hole was ice free, along with keeping the moon light out for those finicky walleyes. 

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:39 PM »
I have 5 and use them every time out. I use braid on the reels with a flouro leader. I love to have the ability to set hook myself. The hole covers with rim are the best Ive ever seen. Left one over night on the pond I live on in 15 degree and barley a skim the next day. I have caught everything from perch to a 34 1/2 inch pike. They are very adjustable for fish you are fishing.

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:51 PM »
well my question is setting it up to hook the fish when it pops up..Apperantly the eyes on my rods are too
small, It doesn't seem to want to release like in the instruction video..any thoughts on  this issue

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:59 PM »
you must have the new self setter, I don't like them because I like the challenge of setting myself. I use the original foolers

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:16 PM »
you must have the new self setter, I don't like them because I like the challenge of setting myself. I use the original foolers

this one can do either or for now I will use it as a regular tip up..

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Just bought two last Saturday and tried them out.  Unfortunately for the first time this year I was skunked.  Was missing a minnow on one so I think I didn't have it set sensitive enough (flag never went up).  I also bought 2 of the Finicky Fooler 2 pc hole covers and I agree they do a good job of keeping the hole from freezing.  It was about 5 degrees and sunny and it wasn't until well after dark (no solar heat) that either hole skimmed over.  I will say that I'm curious what it will be like to catch a fish with the hole cover.  Not sure if you just set the hook an have the cover come up when it hits a split shot or the jig/ fish at the end of the line or if you actually try to remove the cover while fighting the fish.  The slit in the cover for your line to go through is very narrow.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Good reviews. Anyone have feedback on ice up of the rod eyes or the reel?  I’ve always been skeptical of the above water reel concept due to water on the line freezing everything up but love the idea of catching the fish on a rod vs hand over hand. Any feedback on line freeze?
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:51 AM »
I will +2 the ice hole covers best I have ever seen also.. The problem I have had with the setups is wind. I can't see those wind blockers they sell being very much help in a good wind. Imo they would end up on the other side of the lake in a heart beat. Trying to set up super light bite for crappie in any kind of wind is very tough.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2019, 02:25 PM »
I don't use the wind blockers. The rim of the hole cover freezes on the ice so it stays in place. I have never had a problem with my line freezing up but I use braid made for ice fishing with a short flouro leader.

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2019, 11:24 AM »
I used them on Oahe in SD earlier this month.  On windy days was hard to keep them from having wind trips.  The hole cover was phenomenal!  I never had the hole freeze during the week I was there during the day and overnight just had a little skim at 5 degrees overnight.... Best hole cover ever!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.