Author Topic: how many poles ?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
how many poles ?
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:10 AM »
my wife seems to think that the 6 poles that i have are too many already , but i need 3 or 4 more i think so i can have a pole for every color and dont have to re-tie jigs all day.

am i the only person that thinks this way or not ?  we will both be watching the replies here so a little "help" here would be nice.    ;D
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: how many poles ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Well, I probably ain't gonna help you out any here, ;D but here goes. I've got probably 15 or so, and wonder why I've got so many. I like to travel light, and rarely, if ever take more than 3 at a time. Always take 2 spring bobber poles, and sometimes a slip float pole. Seems if I take any more, it's hard to keep them organized in the tub, and something ends up getting broken. Occasionally, if I'm just going out for a bit, I may take just one. Of course, you still need at least a few more, just so you can take the right ones when you go. I just fish panfish, and if I'm going somewhere it's shallow, I'll just take Schooleys. If fishing deeper, and I'm gonna be in the hut, then I take a couple spinning rods. I've always got at least one Schooley, tho, no matter what happens they never break or get messed up. Of the rods I have, about 1/2 dozen of them are homemade, most from old open water poles. I kinda enjoy catching fish on a pole made from an old pole my dad used many years ago.

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:46 AM »
I have those little snaps that allow you to change the jig in two seconds.  Not the swivel with the big snap those are to big.  Thses are little snaps that tie on.  They dont affect action with heavy perch jigs but for sunnies, gills and crappies your might want to tie on but I dont think it makes a difference.  These snaps work great!!

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline Full_Choke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:39 AM »
You need  at least 6 just as spares.
How many you decide to take is another post!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:51 AM »
20+ ice rods, 15 or so set up, 26 walleye rods and 6 muskie combos. Plus several other combos laying around.

Offline D-flag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:34 PM »
I am always wishing I had one to two more.

you need at least the bare min of the following.

2-3 poles with 2 lbs test.
2-3 poles with 4 lbs test
2-3 poles with 6 lbs test .
2-3 poles with 8 lbs test
2-3 poles for braid
2-3 poles for looks
2-3 poles as spares
2-3 poles for friends
2-3 poles to just break one on a bad day
2-3 poles to leave behind
2-3 poles to put on the wall

So the way I see it you should have a min of 22 poles.
Hey at $25 -$50 a pole you could be spending your money on worst things like at the bar.
If you spend all you money on fishing gear you wife will always know were you are and what your doing.
As you can't get into to much trouble on the ice!!!!
hope this helps.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:39 PM »
I'm always chasing big bulls and crappie,and I like a lot of weapons,I always take 8 rods,but have many more rigged that I leave at home.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:04 PM »
I need to take inventory count...to count how many pole.  However I typically use at a minimun of three pole system.  Then I have to carry another three poles for bigger fish and another three poles for ultralight stuff.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:06 PM »
I am not big into jigging so I have only 2, one heavy and a med.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:10 PM »
I've got at least 50 that I can get to right away and I'm always coming across more when I'm looking for something. And alot of them have never been used, then there are the summertime rods, and reels. You can never have enough.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline fishin_fever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:15 PM »
I have those little snaps that allow you to change the jig in two seconds.  Not the swivel with the big snap those are to big.  Thses are little snaps that tie on.  They dont affect action with heavy perch jigs but for sunnies, gills and crappies your might want to tie on but I dont think it makes a difference.  These snaps work great!!

X2.  I use this as well.  I still have six.  two for bobber/deadsticking and the two for jigging.  The remaining two are spares that I leave in the cabin, in case I break on or lose it down the hole  :o.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:56 PM »
ive got 14, and 6 tipups. i usually take most w/ me i hate tying knots in cold, much easier to real up and grab a new rod. you should have a pair of every available actions and multiples of your favorites.

Offline Gman64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It Cant Be Time To Go Home I Still Have Bait Left!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:13 AM »
15 rigged differently colors sizes shapes enuff for me and almost always whatever buddy decides to tag along.

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:37 AM »
thanks , i have 12 poles now  ;D     she seen that i wasnt BSing her when i said i didnt want to tie jigs all day when she went with me the other day , i made her try to tie a jig on and she didnt like it much 
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:31 PM »
Use the old golf bag example...you would not play golf with just a few clubs...right?  I tried this one with my wife and she pointed out that I hate golf!

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Open water last count was 36 ice 13 ice rods . Two fishes for very shallow two with fly reels on for mid depth one with a slip bobber,two schooleys just in case I need to go back to basics. Two with ultra light spinning reels one heavy with bait caster reel for live bait northern fishing. Four HT blue ice rods and two St Croix ice rods in ul just if some one else needs to use one. Thats 16 just went out to count . Tell the wife different depths different jigs different fish different live bait.
Now how are you going to justify all those tip ups to the little woman.JK

Live to fish forced to work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.