Author Topic: Mustang survival suits  (Read 2407 times)

Offline izzyfender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Mustang survival suits
« on: Oct 12, 2006, 11:31 PM »
Hey guys since ice fishing season is coming up, im planning on buying new clothing. ive been looking at the mustang survival suits and i was wondering how warm are these suits? i know they are great for floatation and hypothermia protection for when you go in, but when you are on top of the ice would they keep you warm in -30 degree weather? i live in alberta and some days can get brutally cold so i want a suit that can keep me warm on frigid days. any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mustang survival suits
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2006, 12:14 AM »
Slipbob should CHime in on this one He's had one for a season or too now. I just got mine delivered Last week, gonan wear it tom. fishing from the boat going to be 35F when the sun goes down 10 mph winds with 20 mph gusts  should keep me warm :)

heres  where i got it

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-sis2i.html
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2006, 12:56 AM »
I had to wear a mustang suit for 30 days out on an icebreaker doing research in the Bering Sea, and I found them to be ridiculously warm.  Layer clothes underneath differently depending on conditions.  They won't really keep you from getting hypothermia if you're in the water for an extended period of time though as they're not sealed around your ankles, so the cold water will still rush up your legs.  But they're definitely better than most typical icefishing garb at delaying it.  I hate them with a passion because they were a pain and we were forced to wear them.  And if it is 25 or 30 degrees out, they get really hot.  But in colder temperatures, they can definitely keep you toasty.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2006, 08:13 AM »
I've not had the chance to wear mine in the cold yet since I just got it in june but I can tell you that when I tried it on then it sure was warm ;D. They sure look like their warm.
        Jim

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2006, 11:33 AM »
I don't have the Mustang suit, but my Stearns I570 one piece is very warm....  I was actually thinking of selling my one piece and getting a two piece just to have the ability to take the jacket off during the warmer days.

The suit is a little stiff on the really cold days, but you get used to it and it does losen up a bit with use.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.