New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: the way a first responder and young hero are treated  (Read 1156 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
the way a first responder and young hero are treated
« on: Feb 19, 2017, 06:31 AM »
 are you kidding me ????

http://www.wwnytv.com/story/34503283/ti-basketball-player-barred-from-game-after-ice-rescue

lucas  i think you and the other rescue crew are straight up heros and  I thank you 

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: the way a first responder and young hero are treated
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2017, 07:10 AM »
Have been in fire service for 52 years, 30 years as a profesional.  I see both sides of this story, the school has rules and the fire officer in charge could have called for the kid, he was responsible for him when he was on the call.  The one thing that is missing is common sence from both sides.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2017, 07:11 AM »
X 2 on that.

Offline SPN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2017, 08:06 AM »
No common sense is right!  Also no respect for those that respect and help their fellow man! 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2017, 08:08 AM »
kid can risk his life to rescue a man floating on a chunk of ice but a couch is to stupid to let him play in a highschool game ???? are you kidding me

Offline SPN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2017, 08:20 AM »
The rule to ride the bus is intended to keep track of the kids when traveling.......this i would say is a situation that should have shown some leniency. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2017, 08:11 PM »
kid can risk his life to rescue a man floating on a chunk of ice but a couch is to stupid to let him play in a highschool game ???? are you kidding me

Not the coaches call trapper... I have been coaching for a long time and if you don't ride the bus to the game you don't play. Thats a section 4 and 6 rule. Can't Speak for the rest of the state because i haven't coached in those sections but I'm sure it's the same. Too much liability, kids could drive to the game on their own and get into all sorts of trouble smoking weed or god knows what. Then if they play and hurt themselves or worse someone else because they are under the influence..... gets real bad real quick for the school. Don't get me wrong, as an avid ice fisherman I respect and thank all first responders!! This issue is due to the fact that we live in a world where people bring lawsuits for just about everything so all businesses have become ultra sensitive to anything that could get them in trouble..... money talks and there is no such thing as common sense when dealing with the public!! Sad but true I deal with it every day. I applaud the young man for his dedication and service.
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:04 AM »
Still very ridiculous does a good deed and saves someone and then get reprimanded by not being allowed to play basketball come on just not right...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.