Author Topic: Walmart Winter Coats?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline fieldmen22

• IceShanty Rookie
Walmart Winter Coats?
« on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Long time lurker, but first time posting! I was curious what everyone's opinion is on a winter coat to wear while ice fishing. I know winter is pretty much over, but it can't hurt to ask!

I saw some people wearing 3in1 winter coats (coat with a vest that zips into it) Are they pretty warm for the cold? I prefer to wear just a sweatshirt with a coat over top. It usually serves the purpose well. I wish I could afford a ice armor suit, but I just don't have the money. Would a 3 in 1 coat from Walmart suffice? I saw some pictures on here of them, and was curious if they are any good. Ozark Trail or Starter ones is what I've seen. They look pretty thick, but my concern is would they hold up for warmth and durability?

If anyone out there has one of these winter coats with the zip in vest, I'd offer to buy it off of you. I honestly love the sport, but I can't afford a brand new coat. Maybe someone would be willing to help a fellow ice fisher out so I can be warm next season? ;) I don't mind wearing used gear.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: Walmart Winter Coats?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2011, 09:09 AM »
I`m an avid snowboarder (or was b4 ya had to take a second mortage for a lift ticket) and I bought all my snowboard jackets (3) at Marshalls and/or TJ Maxx. Not sure where you`re from and if these stores are nearby, but they offer last years merchandise for a substantialy lower price tag. I paid less than $40 for each jacket. All 3 are Columbia Sports Wear. When they say "Brand names for Less" they ain`t kiddin! Jackets retailed for $100-$150 apiece when "new". Bear in mind these are overstocks , not "used" or worn merchandise. I wear a pair of Burton Outland Pants, new in the shop-$210, bought them for $40 also. Just gutta know what your looking for -brand etc and be willing to surf the racks.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2011, 06:44 PM »
My coat with deer fur hood that I wear over my insulated coveralls came from my dad and it has a label on it that says 'Zayres'  :blink: It's vinyl, so the snow falls right off, somewhat waterproof but I've never tried it in the rain, and moderately warm mostly due to the wind resistance. It's the layers that I wear which are most important. I did not wear long johns all winter. I wore regular (good condition) jeans with the coveralls. Chest area was a tee, flannel shirt, hooded sweatshirt, then the coveralls and coat. When it gets colder, the long johns or sweat pants get added plus I trade from a zippered sweatshirt to a pullover. I have also worn long sleeved tees under the flannel as well. Each layer brings another level of sweat uh, comfort.

I also have a choice of a snowmobile suit I bought at a yard sale during the off season which is bibs and a coat with no hood. That works quite well also if I bring an extra warm hat or use a snowmobile helmet.

But the best thing? A permi with a woodstove!  @)  :thumbsup:
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43 PM »
Whatever you buy, check the zippers. Mine get a little stretched at times, and nothing worse than a blown out zipper. Check the goodwill type places, and garage sales. Found a lot of good warm stuff for the kids when they were small.

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Welcome to the site Fieldman22, glad to have ya aboard ! Like someone posted, the goodwill stores are Treasure troves for brand name jackets for short money ! I picked up an Eddie Baur Expedition Snorkel jacket, like new for 30 bucks, New in the store they run over 200 !! Good Luck !

Offline fieldmen22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:43 AM »
Thanks! Wishing it was still winter, for sure. I'll check out the Goodwills but never really have luck finding good coats there. If you ever stumble upon a 3in1 coat or have any, I'd be interested in buying it!

Welcome to the site Fieldman22, glad to have ya aboard ! Like someone posted, the goodwill stores are Treasure troves for brand name jackets for short money ! I picked up an Eddie Baur Expedition Snorkel jacket, like new for 30 bucks, New in the store they run over 200 !! Good Luck !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.