Author Topic: cooking your catch  (Read 3786 times)

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
cooking your catch
« on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Just wondering what everyone uses for breading or batter. :unsure: :whistle: Do u have your own recipe or do u buy? I personally like the Darryl Cronzy's mix.  :thumbsup: Would like to try the burbot wrapped in bacon, can anyone tell me how? :clap: :unsure: :icefish:

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: cooking your catch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:33 AM »
 x2 on the cronzy mix...everybody loves that up here.  i don't like dropping the $5 on a bag of batter though so usually mix my own up with whatever's on hand.  the bacon wrapped burbot is also pretty fantastic and easy...i like to cook the bacon in a fry pan til half done, season the burbot up a bit toss some butter in the bottom of some foil and bake around 350.  time to cook just depends on the size of the fish pieces..

i'm big on poor man's lobster and do that with most of the jacks i keep, another easy way to cook and impress.  whitefish baked in a butter dill sauce is another treat.   i also love pickled fish, haven't learned to do that one myself yet.  fish taco's are always good and don't forget a good fresh/saltwater chowder.

a while back a guy had posted a recipe on another area of this site for stuffed walleye fillets and holy good lord did those look awesome.  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=178808.0 there, check those beauties out.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Your right, those walleye fillets do look tasty! :thumbsup: Thanks for the burbot recipe, ran7ger. :clap: :bow:

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:21 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the Uncle Buck's breading from Bass Pro.  It has a good kick to it and a real good flavour as well.  It gets the fish real crispy too and I find it doesn't soak up as much oil as some others.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:30 AM »
I usually like fish, walleye especially, without batter personally.

Fried in a bit of butter, pepper, and dill from the garden - cooked till golden brown. mmmmm.

If I do use batter it is usualyl home made, using cereal or crackers and whatever spices seem to appeal to the palette that day.  A good beer batter from time to time can be nice too.

I really didn't add anything to this thread. Did I? :P

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:33 AM »
dang that sounds tasty shawn.  if you're having trouble with greasy fish try getting your oil a bit hotter.  if using a wet batter let it sit until it reaches room temp. this will avoid dropping the temp of the oil when you toss in your fish/batter.

oh yea, panko crumbs are another good addition to any batter if you like em crispy.

Offline yirawallygator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2011, 12:22 PM »
egg wash and instant mash potatoe mix ;D

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Italian bread crumbs are great along with the panko, I love those panko bread crumbs.

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:46 PM »
For walleye I use margarine blocks on medium heat. Use citrus pepper (mckormicks is the only brand that makes it, not mistaken for lemon pepper). after the citrus pepper, flour and cook slow. Great way to add a little moisture to walleye but not taste greasy. Pike I use peanut oil and add some butter to it for flavour and use fish crisp (cajun is my fav). Cook on fairly high heat to keep them from getting greasy. Doesn't take long on each side. larger pike cut the thicker pieces in half or they will not cook all the way.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:55 PM »
never tried citrus pepper but i like the sounds of that.  i get  lemon pepper from my brother who goes to the farmer's market in s'toon.  it comes from south america and is home grown pepper marinated in home grown lemon juice.  delicious, potent as all hell and not nearly as bad for you as that crap that you buy at sobey's.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:39 PM »
For perch and Walleye I prefer just to fry em in butter until brown and crispy. The batters and breading just take away from the fantastic flovour of these fish. Cronzy's is good for pike and trout. Burbot is good fried in butter as well and makes great poor mans lobster. Damn!!  I'm getting hungry.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:41 PM »
take a raw fillet, cut in strips ans roll up with a piece of raw bacon.  hold this together with a tooth pick bake on a rack so the grease drips off.  once the bacon is crispy its done.
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Just had some smaller perch fillets for dinner. Soaked in milk then Uncle Bucks bass Pro shop regular batter. Then fried in oil. They were great. I have tried most batters but this is the best yet. Have mixed Uncle Bucks and Cronzy half and half before for Walleye and ended up alright. The regular has a bite to it I wonder what the Hot Uncle Bucks taste like. ??

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:07 PM »
Just had some smaller perch fillets for dinner. Soaked in milk then Uncle Bucks bass Pro shop regular batter. Then fried in oil. They were great. I have tried most batters but this is the best yet. Have mixed Uncle Bucks and Cronzy half and half before for Walleye and ended up alright. The regular has a bite to it I wonder what the Hot Uncle Bucks taste like. ??

The regular does have a decent bite to it.  The hot and spicy is a little hotter than the regular, but not too much more. 

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Good ole fish crisp original mixed with lemon pepper!

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I always battered my fish, until i tried this.....Walleye filets marinated in pepper and lemon juice, poke lots of holes in the filets with a fork so the juice can get right in there. You don't have to soak them long, maybe 45 min or so, the acid in the lemon juice makes it work quickly. Throw them on the George Foreman grill and sear until cooked. The key is to not overcook, take them off when they just finish so that they are firm. Drizzle with garlic butter and fall all over yourself cause its so freakin' good.
Still counting.....

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Good ole fish crisp original mixed with lemon pepper!

I think if you try Uncle' Bucks from Bass Pro, you'll soon forget about fish crisp! 

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:59 PM »
I have tried fish crisp and again tonight had a feed of perch and Uncle Buck's  bass pro shop. Going to Calgary this weekend and plan on picking up some more Uncle Buck's. Fish crisp or Cronzy never again. That recipe in lemon juice and pepper on the George Forman sounds good though.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Looks like I'm gonna have to try Uncle Buck's from Bass Pro Shops.  @) Has anyone ever ordered it on line? :unsure: The fillets soaked in lemon juice sounds good though! :thumbsup:

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2011, 01:30 PM »
take a raw fillet, cut in strips ans roll up with a piece of raw bacon.  hold this together with a tooth pick bake on a rack so the grease drips off.  once the bacon is crispy its done.
i do this but i soak the fish in Gordo's greek sauce and then wrap in bacon strips (smaller the better) and BBQ, way good!!  best with pike or trout i've found.  Another way i do up fish, any kind(pike,eyes,perch and trout) is to lay two boneless filets in tinfoil with a little olive oil on bottom along with busted up rings of onions lay the fish down on top of onions, spice it up with what u like, (lem. pep, garlic, cavenders,salt etc.) and Parmesan cheese a few slices of orange or red pepper and a few lemon slices on top of the fish, wrap it all up and bake at 350-400 for 30 mins. UNREAL! even better done on BBQ or the BEST an open fire with a wire mesh camp toaster. if cooking trout this way it is good to leave the skin on and omit the oil.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2011, 02:06 PM »
zawni - you just figured out what im having for supper! haha i've got some trout in the freezer, and i think its time for a good meal!

i like to flour my pike and walleye and fry in butter. while they are frying i used to add lemon pepper but i found a new spice, sweet chili and peppers (i think), wow! very very good!

Offline Uzo/21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Beer Batter:

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt give or take.....plus i also like to add some cayenne or smoked Paprika powder  but really u could season the batter pretty much any way u like just don't overdo it
couple beers.....any kind........I like an amber or honey brown style but go nutz even Blue will do
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs

Beat the eggs and add the beer ....start with about a beer and a half or so......drink whatever u dont use
In a separate large bowl mix up the dry ingredients.......slow ly work in the wet stuff.......tweak the batter until u get it to desired consistency...if u run out of beer use H20...i like mine on the thicker side.....it should look and feel like thick pancake batter........get the oil going Canola or Peanut.....dip your fish and fry until done.......serve with lemon wedges......u can dip in tarter sauce but if u wanna switch up, try mixing some ranch dressing and Sirachi hot sauce up......good stuff if your a heat freak like me.....enjoy.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Butter,fry,yum!

Offline WalleyeNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:09 PM »
Here's one I got from the chefs from Woodland Campus that put on a wild game dinner some years ago.  This was the tastiest item on the menu.

Wash the walleye fillets then lay on paper towel on a cutting board.  Sprinkle both sides with "Swiss Joe's Season All". Cut the fillets so you have three pieces.  Put pieces in a plastic bag of flour - shake up and then remove and lay out on a pan.  Meanwhile get a pan of Canola Oil (1/8" or so heated up - good medium high but not smoking).  Beat up a couple of eggs in a deep dish.  With oil up to temp take a fork and take the floured walleye, dip in the egg and then directly into the hot oil.  The hot oil instantly seals the egg and locks in the flavour.  This is the recipe I got from them, however, I also do them without the flour and I actually like that even better.  Full proof, simple and excellent every time.  Note:  Swiss Joe's Season All is not easy to find, even though it is made in Saskatoon.  In Regina it can be purchased at Butcher Boy Meats on Park St.. And no, Lawry's Seasoning Salt is not a viable alternative.

Offline ProGuide1675

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2011, 07:53 PM »
My staple is crushed up soda cracker crumbs with an egg wash ahead time.  Awesome!

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:05 PM »
Southwest Specialty Foods Inc. makes A$$ Kickin' Fish Fry Seasoning breading for fish, chicken and pork. I find a little goes a long ways, original and chipotle are both good.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:30 PM »
Southwest Specialty Foods Inc. makes A$$ Kickin' Fish Fry Seasoning breading for fish, chicken and pork. I find a little goes a long ways, original and chipotle are both good.
Where do you buy this seasoning? ;D :unsure:

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:31 PM »
breading - Great Northern Rod n Reel just tried it cold - afternoon snack chipotle actually hot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.